Do you guys confront stupid drivers and if so why?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
I make a point of giving a thumbs up to considerate drivers, for example someone who waits for a safe place to overtake.

So it seems only fair to give a thumbs down to anyone who drives inconsiderately or dangerously near me. It has the advantage of being fairly innocuous gesture, unlikely to encourage retaliation, while still allowing me to imagine them being torn limb from limb by the lions in the Colosseum. :smile:

Dan B

Disengaged member
If it's just bad driving they get a shake of the head, which makes me feel better and they probably don't even notice. If it's combined with unsolicited parenting advice they sometimes get the middle finger (but only if the kids are all looking the other way) - which is probably not super-advisable but it is what it is

I have a camera on my commute bike, but very little success so far in getting the police interested in any footage that doesn't clearly show a specific offence has been committed. Driving through no-entry sign or red traffic signals, they're on it. Close pass or left hook, might as well not bother

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I tend to keep things under wraps after years of riding our roads. Then pensively dream of a day our infrastructure will miraculously improve.

I banged on a window in London once and was chased through the streets by a ton of metal. Was it worth it? Probably not.

I have aggressively confronted 2 people locally. One, a teacher of our local school, another the son of a neighbor. The hopeful outcome is that they will remember their erroneous ways and be a better driver for it. The downside is that I stayed angry and stressed for the whole day and things are very awkward when I see these two in public. Was it worth it? Probably not.

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
So do you guys confront stupid drivers?

Me: personally i don't i just ignore them as if you were to confront them it would just lead to a argument and most of the time i just ignore them they just carry on like nothing happend after following on with a close pass.

The only time i would confront them is if they kept on doing it but when i ignore them they just follow with a close pass and then carry on like nothing happend.

So what about u guys?
Depends on what they've done and also who's done it. If it looks like a bloke who wants a fight, then I usually wisen up and just ignore it.

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
Stupid drivers I tend to ignore but willfully dangerous drivers get a foul mouthed tirade and a few hand gestures.

I’ve found that if someone make s a genuine mistake they tend to put their hands up to apologise which i’m fine with.
Aye, if people make a mistake I don't tend to get annoyed. I've made plenty of errors of judgement myself on the bike. It's when people are malicious or careless that gets me.

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
I tend to keep things under wraps after years of riding our roads. Then pensively dream of a day our infrastructure will miraculously improve.

I banged on a window in London once and was chased through the streets by a ton of metal. Was it worth it? Probably not.

I have aggressively confronted 2 people locally. One, a teacher of our local school, another the son of a neighbor. The hopeful outcome is that they will remember their erroneous ways and be a better driver for it. The downside is that I stayed angry and stressed for the whole day and things are very awkward when I see these two in public. Was it worth it? Probably not.
A lady I know gave her dentist a piece of her mind once after he drove dangerously whilst she was cycling. Once she realised who it was, things got pretty awkward. I wouldn't have wanted to be her next time she had to go to the dentist.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
[QUOTE 5226234, member: 9609"]I had an incident yesterday in Hartlepool, as a pedestrian (not as a cyclist) we were crossing a road in front of a car waiting at traffic lights, all of a sudden it sped forwards coming pretty close, I turned and started at the driver, he suddenly braked, window come down "WTF are you looking at you stupid c**t?" I asked if he was trying to run us over, he then informed me "the lights have turned to green you thick stupid f*****g c**t". I made a few comments on his driving and he threatened me before wheel spinning off. (presumably a green light must mean you can drive over any pedestrians in your way)?

some people just become completely mental when driving, its like its just all too much for their tiny little brains to cope with. best never to get involved really. Not sure if I was in that much danger with this one, he seemed so big I doubt he would have been able to get out of his car, by the size of him I was surprised he had got in it. Not big as in scary big, more super sized big with too many full-english-breakfasts. I do like Hartlepool but its as rough as a badgers .....[/QUOTE]

Hartlepool, say no more ;)

Will Spin

Über Member
I try not to but sometimes in the face of deliberately aggressive driving or just plain idiocy I find it difficult to restrain myself. I live in a fairly small town so I have to remind myself that the perpetrator may be someone I know, or that people I know have heard my expletives (sorry vicar).

Top Bottom