Do you prefer panniers, backpack, messenger bag or something else for your commute?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

subaqua

What’s the point
2 Altura Urban panniers. . waterproof hard wearing and have had them nearly 5 years and only needed to replace hangers when i have been a bit heavy handed.

used to be 1 but the amount of stuff i have to take now mobile means 2 .

hated commuting with a rucksack due to sweaty back syndrome.

DRHysted

Guru
Another Topeak racktop bag with zip down panniers user here. I have a set of waterproof panniers if I'm taking something too big for the topeak into work. I can't get comfortable on the road bikes with a back pack on, and my commutes are either 04:00 or 16:00 mostly rural, so little need for slipping between cars.

crazyjoe101

I carry almost 3kgs of locks and a full change of clothes with me so 1 or 2 panniers is what I use, all of that on my back is not at all nice. I can't leave my locks at work right now because I need them when at home and I'd rather carry them then spend another £100 on locks!

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Very large (22 litre) saddlebag, resting on the rear rack... currently a Highlander haversack with some correx board in it and some extra cam buckle straps doing a Carradice impersonation... or sometimes a no-name satchel as a smaller version (10 litre) of the same. Hiking rain cover over it when needed.

I use roll-up-able double panniers (Basil Mara) when I'm bringing lots of shopping home - they strap onto the bag until needed, but will unfurl and strap on to carry about two shopping bags each side. Waterproofish, if you know what I mean. If it's just a little more shopping than the rear bag will accept, it goes into the front mini basket.

All my bikes have rear racks. They don't slow you down much. Big panniers can a bit, especially in fen headwinds, hence why I like my roll-up-able ones.

As for the suboptimal past attempts: Even when I used a rucksack (some Eurotrek 13 litre one for about a decade), it used to get strapped to the rear rack because I don't like a sweaty back, but they're not designed for it, so it was a bit faffy (tying straps up to keep them from catching spokes) and eventually wore through from shuffling against the rack rails. The Alpkit dry bag (aka canoe bag) was better and still gets used sometimes, but is less good as a bag (only having a roll-top opening is a bit annoying) and it also started to wear through (patched but I don't really trust it any more). I've also a trunk bag with fold-down panniers, but maybe the one I got was poor because the side panniers only held one shopping bag each, one side pannier started to come away, the top was always a bit floppy side-to-side and it was a bit annoying to attach and detach the velcro. I've also used a rear crate but that's annoyingly big and stuff seems to rattle in it whenever possible.

My, I've had a lot of goes at this, haven't I? :laugh:

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Urrrgh, I forgot the messenger bags! I've two still in frequent use and they sometimes get used when I'm carrying things that merit it, like documents or computers to meetings where even the black satchel will look too informal. They have carabiners to hang them from saddles or rear rack side rails, but of course that rattles. The larger padded one (sometimes contains laptop) has two shoulder straps - one goes over each arm and the bag hangs around my bum like a very long-strapped rucksack.

Oh and finally: I'm sure I've a rigid briefcase around here somewhere still which can strap to the top of the rack, but I really don't remember the last time I used it :laugh:

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I have a rack fitted with (usually) one Altura pannier, and the option's there to fit the second if needed. Even then, that's a compromise, I think panniers are the best answer for carrying weight on the bike but when you're off the bike, most panniers make pretty poor hand luggage for the pedestrian part of a journey.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I've never commuted on this but if I ever get well enough to work again (they're talking about a 3rd op on my leg) this should do the job as well as my Topeak bags,
002.JPG

Top Bottom