Do you prefer panniers, backpack, messenger bag or something else for your commute?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wisdom

Guru
I have a rack fitted with (usually) one Altura pannier, and the option's there to fit the second if needed. Even then, that's a compromise, I think panniers are the best answer for carrying weight on the bike but when you're off the bike, most panniers make pretty poor hand luggage for the pedestrian part of a journey.
My altura panniers are great as hand luggage rubber corners on the bottom and comfy handles.I just push a button to release them from the rack.Can't remember what model they are but there waterproof and have an orgainer pocket in each one.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
My altura panniers are great as hand luggage rubber corners on the bottom and comfy handles.I just push a button to release them from the rack.Can't remember what model they are but there waterproof and have an orgainer pocket in each one.

Yeah mine are fine-ish, they have those features, they're just not centrally balanced enough to be carried without them leaning in and catching my leg. I accept some panniers make better hand luggage than others will though. It's just that mine are designed for the bike first, and the hand as a distant afterthought!

wisdom

Guru
Yeah mine are fine-ish, they have those features, they're just not centrally balanced enough to be carried without them leaning in and catching my leg. I accept some panniers make better hand luggage than others will though. It's just that mine are designed for the bike first, and the hand as a distant afterthought!
Never thought about balance.You are right there although I don't clout my leg.

Custom24

Über Member
I'm in the something else category.

I'm lucky - I don't need to carry a laptop, and I can leave most things at the office to minimise what I need to carry.

I used to use a ventilated rucksack, then I switched to a frame triangle bag in addition to a saddle bag. The bike repair stuff goes in the saddle bag.

I have one triangle bag on each bike and I think they are great. They are waterproof, and they are not expensive (about £12 IIRC) or heavy (<300g IIRC). Most other cyclists hate the look of them, at least on this forum and in my office. Suits me as it keeps them cheap :becool: (although I've not yet had to replace them - they seem really well made and I've had them over a year).

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I used to have panniers on my hybrid but found I was taking all sorts of stuff back and forwards from work. I've been using a cheap (£15) 20 litre backpack on the road bikes for the last five years or so. I don't really notice the weight but it's really great when I don't wear it.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
I was going to ask this of @User10571 the other day so may as well be in this thread. User10571 I noticed you rode with a small over the shoulder type bag on the Old bangers run. You obviously find it ok. What I wanted an opinion on was is that only good for light loads as I have a hefty D lock with cable that I will not attach to the frame. Do you think that would be comfortable or would the weight drag it round the front of the body? I'm thinking maybe 3 kilo all told as a figure to work with.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I have one triangle bag on each bike and I think they are great. They are waterproof, and they are not expensive (about £12 IIRC) or heavy (<300g IIRC). Most other cyclists hate the look of them, at least on this forum and in my office. Suits me as it keeps them cheap :becool: (although I've not yet had to replace them - they seem really well made and I've had them over a year).
I don't mind the look but I hate the way the ones I've tried rub the paintwork over time. Does yours?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Helicopter tape is what you need.
So then I'd have a scuffed tape look instead of a scuffed paintwork look, with the added benefit of adhesive residue or paint pulled off if I ever try to remove it.

U

User10571

I was going to ask this of @User10571 the other day so may as well be in this thread. User10571 I noticed you rode with a small over the shoulder type bag on the Old bangers run. You obviously find it ok. What I wanted an opinion on was is that only good for light loads as I have a hefty D lock with cable that I will not attach to the frame. Do you think that would be comfortable or would the weight drag it round the front of the body? I'm thinking maybe 3 kilo all told as a figure to work with.
Mostly, I go for over the shoulder courier bags, although when on the Brompton, for some reason, a rucksack seems more appropriate.
The bag you saw me with wouldn't have much space left if you put your D lock and cable in there. I have a couple of Chrome courier bags which have the capacity to accommodate a small child. I have on occasion placed a small childsworth of groceries from Mr. Sainsburys emporium of toothsome comestibles in there. It is a stunt which disturbs the bike's C of G signifcantly and makes me grateful that the distance from store to home is a short one.
I don't think that your D lock and cable are capable of anything of that order.
Panniers?
Don't like them spoiling the lines of the bike.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Mostly, I go for over the shoulder courier bags, although when on the Brompton, for some reason, a rucksack seems more appropriate.
The bag you saw me with wouldn't have much space left if you put your D lock and cable in there. I have a couple of Chrome courier bags which have the capacity to accommodate a small child. I have on occasion placed a small childsworth of groceries from Mr. Sainsburys emporium of toothsome comestibles in there. It is a stunt which disturbs the bike's C of G signifcantly and makes me grateful that the distance from store to home is a short one.
I don't think that your D lock and cable are capable of anything of that order.
Panniers?
Don't like them spoiling the lines of the bike.

Very eloquent sir. Tbh, it would pretty much only be the lock and cable I'd be thinking about carrying. Just wondering if that weight would make that over the shoulder bag slide around or otherwise be uncomfortable etc. I have a small backpack but don't really like wearing them on the bike, especially in hot weather.

doughnut

Veteran
I've always used a backpack, mainly because the largest item I've got is the laptop. 21 mile commute and a few small sections are potholed and real bone shakers (had my lights fall off the bike once), so I would worry about the laptop in a pannier.

U

User10571

Very eloquent sir. Tbh, it would pretty much only be the lock and cable I'd be thinking about carrying. Just wondering if that weight would make that over the shoulder bag slide around or otherwise be uncomfortable etc. I have a small backpack but don't really like wearing them on the bike, especially in hot weather.
A messenger bag won't slide round providing it has a 3-point strap (they generally do).
If lock weight is an issue, then https://tigrlock.com/mini/ is the way to go.
Half the weight of my Kryptonite Mini, which makes it a bit of a no-brainer when deciding which lock I should take with me.

r04DiE

300km a week through London on a road bike.
Courier bag for me!

I've had one for about 20 years and then got this for Christmas and very nice it is too!

img587e13422f7c80.17685550.jpg

Top Bottom