Do you prefer panniers, backpack, messenger bag or something else for your commute?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
Any reason? Doesn't the sweaty back cause you problems?
too much pfaffing either end of the ride, plus the bike feels more responsive. sweaty back isn't really an issue with shower facilities at work, and in the current climate actually helps keep some warmth in! also makes me more confident while riding between columns of cars that i can fit through...

Rucksack here too as I have an onwards train journey plus bus at the other end. It's just easier with less faff and I have my gubbins with me all day when I need them. A hiking jacket with capacious pockets also helps.

zer07

I've only tried two methods of carrying stuff to work, with my preferred being a backpack. Personally I don't want panniers unbalancing the bike and making it wider (even if it is only marginally), although I've never tried them, its how I perceive it. I can fit quite a bit in the backpack.....laptop and headphones, notepad, overshoes, 3 or 4 workshirts, my lunch and sometimes work shoes. It is quite heavy to lift but once on it's not too bad, plus it keeps me warm during the colder rides to and from work.

The other thing I sometime use is a large bum-bag, especially during the summer. Use the backpack on a Monday with all my shirts for the week (secured in a locker) and then leave the laptop at work if I don't need it with me.

Well you see, I perceive different. I have always commuted with panniers. I have humphed heavy shopping in a backpack and have experienced it making me feel unbalanced.
I just know it would make me sweat even more. Plus, for balance I think weight is better lower down for stability.
Admittedly, on a windy/gusty day they may not help with the side swipes.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Large Carradice (can't remember if it's a Nelson or a Barley longflap) that I've been using for 4 years (was originally bought for LEL13). I never had an issue before using a backpack but since using the Carradice those days when I've needed to use a backpack (today for example) I've really noticed the sweat.

I keep being tempted by panniers and I do have a rack somewhere from years ago but the fact I ride a relatively small frame and have big feet has meant it's not worth risking the cost.

Sixmile

Veteran
I've always been a rucksack rider, even for overnight trips and in summer heat. If you're really worried about a sweaty back have a look at the Deuter bags that elevate the bag from your back. I've recently upgraded to a Deuter Air Exp 22.
4420315-33290.jpg

martint235

Dog on a bike
I've always been a rucksack rider, even for overnight trips and in summer heat. If you're really worried about a sweaty back have a look at the Deuter bags that elevate the bag from your back. I've recently upgraded to a Deuter Air Exp 22.
View attachment 339329
My 10 year old backpack is a Deuter with gaps for airflow etc but I still get a sweaty back when I use it now.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
A hiking jacket with capacious pockets also helps.
Up to a point. I've stretched a couple of jackets out of shape in the past by overloading the pockets. It can also put pressure across the shoulders and back of the neck. In the rare occasions I fall over, I'd prefer not to land on any hard lumps in my pockets.

My 10 year old backpack is a Deuter with gaps for airflow etc but I still get a sweaty back when I use it now.
Amen. I can't remember which brand mine are/were, but I get sweaty where those pads press on the back.

Of course, an alternative interpretation of the never-used-panniers non-sweaty backpackers is that using saddlebags or panniers makes you develop a sweaty back somehow :laugh:

Sixmile

Veteran

10 years and still going strong, good to hear! Yea I'm sure the airflow doesn't eliminate sweat but it's surely bound to help. I've yet to test mine in summer temperatures.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I have yet to see a bike with panniers that are wider then handlebars. So I would say it's more in your mind rather then reality. I can squeeze through the same 'small' gaps as a non panniered cyclist.
A small note of caution on this: the handlebars are in front of you and above the steering wheel, while the panniers are behind you and above the rigid trailing wheel, so it is possible that you can get your handlebars through some slaloms and then hit the pannier on the inside of the gate. However, in (mumble) decades of riding, I've only met one that's exactly the right geometry to catch me like that (here), it's definitely non-standard and someone else with a different size bike can ride through non-stop. On most slaloms, you just need to remember that you're now more rectangular and less of a droplet shape, and not turn the handlebars too soon.

Bollards and most traffic gaps are no problem because you go through straight.

I have 2 Timbuk2 messenger bags a small and a medium. Small one I use one a daily basis when just carrying lunch and a change of cloths. The medium is for days when carrying lots more, the size difference is significant.
Both are custom bags, both Celtic themed. The medium bag has green and white stripes, small looks like the Irish flag.

die_aufopferung

For commuting in Autumn/Winter/Spring I use a CX/Gravel bike with a rack w/Topeak rackbag with drop-down panniers same as a few others in this thread have already mentioned. In Summer I use a handlebar bag (also a Topeak quick-release job) as the handlebar's the only bit of the racing bike that isn't carbon.

mustang1

Guru
I've used panniers, rucksack and messenger bag.

I find panniers get hit by too much wind and slows me down. In the grand scheme of things it's not that a big deal and not having a sweaty back is great. Thing is, because rim not that fast in the fast bits, I need every bit of assistance so panniers don't do that for me.

Messenger bags are ok but they keep swinging about so you need to use an additional chest strap which is too much of a flaff so I never bother.

So my favourite is a rucksack. The only bad thing is a sweaty back but since I wash up when I get to work, it's not a big deal as the advantages outweigh the cons.

Having said that my current setup is a messenger bag because I no longer have a ruck sack.

Top Bottom