Do you prefer panniers, backpack, messenger bag or something else for your commute?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have a tough commute, 30 miles round trip and 2400 ft of climbing so I want luggage which is light and easily removed, the rear bag takes clothes and the front bar bag takes sundries, I have 2 sized of bag depending on how much I need.
inflite1.jpg
Inflite2.jpg

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
A messenger bag won't slide round providing it has a 3-point strap (they generally do).
If lock weight is an issue, then https://tigrlock.com/mini/ is the way to go.
Half the weight of my Kryptonite Mini, which makes it a bit of a no-brainer when deciding which lock I should take with me.

Cheers User10571, that's a help, so I'll be looking at 3 point strap. I've already got the lock, just thinking that bag I saw you with would be ideal if not obtrusive. I'll look into them.:okay:

U

User10571

Cheers User10571, that's a help, so I'll be looking at 3 point strap. I've already got the lock, just thinking that bag I saw you with would be ideal if not obtrusive. I'll look into them.:okay:
It was a Crumpler bag - Disco Dancer I think, with a buckle courtesy of BA. Looking at Crumpler's website, the present day equivalent would be http://www.crumpler.eu/casual-bags/dinky-di-laptop-messenger-l-navy-bordeaux
Crumpler stuff isn't cheap, but it is beautifully made and dripping with features. Unfortunately, they no longer have a high street presence so you cannot fumble before buying.

Last edited by a moderator:

Custom24

Über Member
I don't mind the look but I hate the way the ones I've tried rub the paintwork over time. Does yours?
Not especially. I used one on my Al frame for about a year and there was not much rubbing. I then found out about helicopter tape and put that on. I also use that on my C frame. I have had to remove helicopter tape from my C frame and it came off perfectly. It's great stuff, although expensive.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
'Do you prefer panniers, backpack, messenger bag or something else for your commute"

Mostly messenger bag. I don't usually carry much to work, I keep clothes at work and take them to the dry cleaners around the corner. The advantage is I can use it on any bike. If I stop to pick up a pastry on the way I've got my wallet and everything handy.

Panniers if I want to go shopping on the way home or carry my laptop (although I also use the messenger bag for the laptop) and also if it's really hooning it down- can't get a cape over the messenger bag!

Have been known to use a trailer if I'm picking up something on the way home or collecting something bulky from work.

I used a saddlebag once, an old one with straps and buckles- not ideal at is was a bit of a job to remove it but it would work if I got a quick-release one.

Last edited:

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
but what can't you do with a rack fitted?

Look like a cool mofo, in your cycling cap with the peak sticking up.

OP
OP
Bimble

Bimble

Bimbling along ...
Any reason? Doesn't the sweaty back cause you problems?
Mine has a solid metal frame / mesh affair that sits comfortably on my back with the pack itself slightly raised above it, letting air flow around my back - so I don't seem to suffer the sweaty back thing that others do.

Top Bottom