Do you prefer panniers, backpack, messenger bag or something else for your commute?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simongt

Guru
Except for very short distance, panniers every time. I'm not bothered about the relative aerodynamics and panniers keep the centre of gravity lower down. Also, a rucsac tranfers weight to your arms & wrists.

RedRider

Pulling through
The Nelson Longflap isn't perfect but it's what I use.
You can get a fair whack in there and then stuff the same amount under the flap. I keep a dry bag in mine and if I'm picking up some food shopping on the way home it goes in there and gets bungee-ed on top. I think it looks rugged.
Still, image-wise the bag has baggage. Looking a it one way, t's a bit 'traditional' like something Norman Tebbit would approve. On the other hand, whenever I'm following a cyclist with a Nelson I feel reassured, relaxed and relatively confident of a level of competence.
It's not really designed for modern things like laptops but it carries them fine and with a bagman fitted you get this springy,bouncy support which is probably good for hard drives, microchips and that kind of stuff.
It keeps stuff dry.
I've used messenger bags, panniers and rucksacks and they have their place but not for me so often.
I don't know whether anyone's mentioned porteur racks yet but there's been a big trend for them in London at least for a couple of years or more. Every other bike in Peckham has them now.

RedRider

Pulling through
Round the back of the Bussey Building during the great blizzard of 2015
IMG_8311.jpeg

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Noe you mention it. I have been seeing these used more and more.
Do you think it's because people prefer to be able to watch their luggage in that London or because they liked the half- porter half-basket things on the hire bikes?

I've a porter rack on one bike with a quick release, but not used it in earnest yet.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Do you think it's because people prefer to be able to watch their luggage in that London or because they liked the half- porter half-basket things on the hire bikes?

Neither. It's a hipster thing.

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
Over here in Holland, they became very popular among teens, chiefly because you can carry a crate of beer on it, holding it in place with one hand. The other hand holds the rolly.
I have seen them used for some refreshment on the way home, which seems dreadfully civilised.

Not like my student days drinking some cheap red wine because it had the best alcohol : one hand ratio without risking dropping a bottle of spirits.

dodgy

Not my bike, but I use one of these, Carradice SQR Slim. They are brilliant! Yes it's a bit ungainly, but fantastically practical and removes in seconds. I've no idea why day commuters aren't all using these, I find them much better than panniers and in another league to rucksacks. It's like having a little boot (as in car boot) on your bike :smile:
sqr.jpg

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
... Carradice SQR Slim. ... I've no idea why day commuters aren't all using these, I find them much better than panniers and in another league to rucksacks. It's like having a little boot (as in car boot) on your bike :smile:
Because like a car boot, unless you leave loads of empty space, the thing you want is always at the far end and needs you to move other things to get at it. :thumbsdown: Longflaps or trunk bags are better because they open along a long edge and so stuff can't be buried so deep.

Top Bottom