Do you prepare for a ride the night before?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
Tomorrow morning I ride with the club so I just checked the tyres and brakes, I also lubricated the chain. Sorted the gear I'll be wearing and the stuff I take with me ie money, things to eat such as nuts, water bottle, etc.

How do you prepare for a club ride or whatever ride?

ScotiaLass

Guru
Tomorrow morning I ride with the club so I just checked the tyres and brakes, I also lubricated the chain. Sorted the gear I'll be wearing and the stuff I take with me ie money, things to eat such as nuts, water bottle, etc.

How do you prepare for a club ride or whatever ride?
I don't ride with clubs but I make sure my bike is in order and I have clean kit the night before.
My backpack is always packed with what I need so I just do a double check before I leave :smile:

young Ed

Veteran
clean clothing, make sure chain has been mickled within last fortnight, garmin charged to 100% and loaded with relevant route, phone charged (nokia brick so every 10 days :biggrin:) and that is about it
oh and check weather for relevant places
Cheers Ed

Padded stuff is in the wash, jersey is hanging up and ready to roll, just pumped the rear tyre as noticed it was running a little low tonight on my ride home, and charging my external battery.
Oh, and "fixed" the CatEye bracket which has slowly been chewing up my jogging bottoms recently (the screw head is damaged), tried to adjust the seat but due to having sorted the rear light bracket out, I cba undoing it to change the set position (thats for another day now).

Oh, and checked what gels I have left and moved my iPhone Tigra mount onto the handlebar, as the stem bag I have doesn't allow the handlebars to move freely unless the phone is in landscape.

clean clothing, make sure chain has been mickled within last fortnight, garmin charged to 100% and loaded with relevant route, phone charged (nokia brick so every 10 days :biggrin:) and that is about it
Cheers Ed
Tempted to get a nokia brick (think I saw you'd mentioned the 100 somewhere) for riding with, but once I get my Garmin :biggrin:

screenman

Legendary Member
No, I have everything ready all the time. I suppose if I was intending to go out within minutes of getting up I might make a bottle up but no more. I must add that I do not have problems getting out of bed early so I may be different in that going out at 8 up at 6, going out at 7 up at 5 etc.

martinireland

Leisure Cyclist
I don't cycle with club either. I have my bike and gear ready for the morning time. The bike is in the hall , pumped tyres a while ago and Garmin in place. My assortment of gear ready in the kitchen as the forcast is for rain but we will see in the morning. It makes for a trouble free getaway in the morning and I like is best when everything is planned to a tee........ as they say !
Im up at 5.45 am will be gone at 6.30 am as I like to be the early bird..... but not liking the early starts lately

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Pump the tyres up to desired pressure,fill water bottle,check wheel skewers are tight,put computer back to nought,put in contact lens,fill back pockets up with paper towel,phone,disposable glove,spare contact lens,reading glasses,put on helmet (and skull cap if cold)decide which gloves to wear,then away i go. All done in the 20 minutes before a ride.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Check the tyre pressure , fill water bottle and off I go . Everything is ready for the next ride after the last one .

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
For ordinary rides, I just meander about getting ready at the last minute.

For more important rides (forum/audax/sportive/very long solo) I usually check the bike the day before, buy any food I want to carry, make my carbo-drinks, recharge the batteries on my phone and GPS, upload the route to the GPS, contact anybody I have to contact, check the weather forecast, make sure I have clean kit to wear and the right selection for the expected weather conditions, set 2 or 3 alarms to make sure that I will be up in time ...

That is usually enough to stop me getting too stressed at the last minute, though I often remember something else just before going out.

martinireland

Leisure Cyclist
For ordinary rides, I just meander about getting ready at the last minute.

For more important rides (forum/audax/sportive/very long solo) I usually check the bike the day before, buy any food I want to carry, make my carbo-drinks, recharge the batteries on my phone and GPS, upload the route to the GPS, contact anybody I have to contact, check the weather forecast, make sure I have clean kit to wear and the right selection for the expected weather conditions, set 2 or 3 alarms to make sure that I will be up in time ...

That is usually enough to stop me getting too stressed at the last minute, though I often remember something else just before going out.

many times I missed my ride because of the alarm........ sometimes too cosy in the bed especially with the rubbish weather weve had for the last few months

screenman

Legendary Member
Hold on, stop blaming the poor old alarm clocks what have they done wrong. Cannot get a butt out of bed is down to lack of motivation and self discipline.

Can you tell it is something that winds me up.^_^

We only have so many hours on the planet, don't know about some of you lot but I want to see as many as possible, not sleep them all away.

OP
OP
Spoked Wheels

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
Cheers Ed

@young Ed thanks for mentioning the garmin - I quickly run downstairs to put the garmin to charge. No need to load any routes for tomorrow though.

My 45 miler tomorrow will be some memory and no doubt some google mapping along the way. Hoping for it to be well signposted once hitting Tavistock though (can't see why not), but dreading the hills already...

Ah well, all for the best I suppose. Fat-be-gone!

Top Bottom