Do you use your lights in the day light hours

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GGJ

Veteran
Front light with flashing rear light in poor daylight and also in low winter sunlight. Whether drivers see or even pay attention I don't know but it gives me piece of mind

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
No.

I ride a bike, and I don't drive a Volvo.

I've got two sets of lights. One is fairly weedy and really wouldn't be much use in the dark, but does add to the visibility in daylight. The other ones are moth zappers, I wouldn't use them in daylight.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Yes. In the event of a collision, it makes my legal position a bit better. Too many motorists will use any excuse to pretend they never saw me, so this makes their position weaker.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Crazy to cycle in fog imho.Will use lights in mist or rain or on really dark cloudy winter days.

Cant see the point in good visibility.

... ish

I tend to look at the environment around me

if the headlights and shop lights are making significant difference to visibility then I will use lights, but as normal practice, I don't use them during the day

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
What do you do where it's mandatory to have lights on during the daytime then?
Where's that?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Respect to you, and others, riding in fog. I'll ride in any weather .... EXCEPT fog; just don't have the bottle.
What do you and others do if the fog arrives while you're out, or if you still need to get somewhere? I'm rarely near the trains, buses won't take non folding bikes and walking in such conditions is often dicier.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Where's that?
I think the original context was about cars, so Classic was probably referring to the Scandinavian countries. Sweden and Iceland for sure as I've driven in both and been bo****ed in both for forgetting to turn them on. :blush:

No idea if there's anywhere that mandates daytime lights for cyclists.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
If I start in the dark and expect to be home before dark I may not bother switching my back lights off. If I'm going to be returning in the dark, I'm more likely to switch them off to save the batteries.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
If were conditions were bad enough during daylight to need front lights I wouldn't be out. All of my bikes have at least 1 rear light fitted at all times, quite happily turn them on, on dull overcast days that are common in NI

winjim

Smash the cistern
I've got two sets of lights. One is fairly weedy and really wouldn't be much use in the dark, but does add to the visibility in daylight. The other ones are moth zappers, I wouldn't use them in daylight.
Shouldn't that be the other way round? You need the bright one to stand out in the daylight but the dim one should be pretty visible in the dark. That's why DRLs are so stoopidly bright.

Not that I'm suggesting you do that of course, I'd prefer it if you ditched the bright ones altogether, particularly if you're riding in a built up area.

Reactions: mjr
Top Bottom