Do you use your lights in the day light hours

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Commuting in dull light then yes. But don't expect them to help. My accident 14 months ago was in daylight, with 3 front lights ON !! Driver still didn't see me despite being right in his line of sight with the 'pulse' mode reflecting very nicely off the front of his car.

Will Spin

Über Member
I always have a flashing back light on, I feel safer with this, I have no evidence to back this up but subjectively it seemed that cars were much more wary about overtaking once I started using it. All my rides in the daylight on country roads around East Hants and West Sussex and these can get quite dark even in summer as some parts are heavily wooded. I have a flashing front light that is on during the winter months, seems to have the effect of slowing oncoming cars down in narrow lanes.

winjim

Smash the cistern
I have a flashing front light that is on during the winter months, seems to have the effect of slowing oncoming cars down in narrow lanes.
I do tend to slow down when I'm being blinded. I had to properly throw out the anchors yesterday when I rounded a corner in the rain to be hit full in the face by a super bright flashing bike light. I couldn't focus on anything else and had no option but to slow to a dead crawl. Good job I was driving at a speed appropriate to the conditions and was able to safely slow down.

Reactions: mjr
Depends on the weather. Bright low sun ahead reflecting off wet tarmac is always the one that worries me. I might use a rear flasher then and keep my ears very much open and tuned in and Meerkat over my shoulder.

chriscross1966

Über Member
My Busch und Muller dynamo lights have sensors and turn themselves on a dim setting in daytime (the rear will be on full, and has a brake light function)

What do you and others do if the fog arrives while you're out, or if you still need to get somewhere? I'm rarely near the trains, buses won't take non folding bikes and walking in such conditions is often dicier.
I can only think of a couple of times that I've been caught out like that - outside town on country roads, miles from anywhere. Patches of pea-souper. No choice but to carry on.

But it scared the bejasus out of me. It was terrifying the number of drivers who made no attempt whatsoever to slow down ....... even though they could not possibly see.

Fortunately most fog around me sets in early morning and hangs around until maybe 10 or 11 o'clock.

Old jon

Guru
Knee jerk, I turn the lights on.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Yup. I run dynamo B&M's so battery use isn't an issue and therefor no reason not to run them.
No matter whether I'm the passenger in my fiancée's car, walking along or cycling along, when I see a cyclist with lights on during perfectly good daylight weather, that cyclist will stand out more than one without the lights. For that reason, I light 'em up.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Yup. I run dynamo B&M's so battery use isn't an issue and therefor no reason not to run them.
No matter whether I'm the passenger in my fiancée's car, walking along or cycling along, when I see a cyclist with lights on during perfectly good daylight weather, that cyclist will stand out more than one without the lights. For that reason, I light 'em up.
So is it that you don't think distracting people from other perfectly legal unlit cyclists is rather anti-social and that encouraging light use in daytime is a waste of energy, or that you don't think they're valid reasons, or what?

Drago

Legendary Member
I've yet to see any firm evidence that daytime lighting increases conspicuity, and that then translates into reduced collision rates. When I do, then I'll gladly begin doing so.

Until then, my lucky rabbits foot has as much proven ability to keep me safe.

Top Bottom