Dodgy Roubaix Elite on ebay?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Maybe I am wrong, but I can't think why anyone would part with at least £1500 for a carbon framed Specialized Roubaix Elite bike, then ride it for only 30 miles before thinking "I can't seem to get on with it so it has to go". Nothing like perseverance then :laugh:. Bike is in Looe, Cornwall. Sorry if this is posted in the wrong section but none of the others seemed to be appropriate.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SPECIALIZ...0827493725?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item1e75ed215d

I have a friend who spends far more than 1500 quid on his bikes. He usually keeps them about a year, but I have seen him spend 5k + then decide he doesn't like it within weeks.

Maybe you are just over suspicious.

gbb

Legendary Member
It happens...
I was seriously tempted by a 2009 Bianchi 928 locally, similar story, guy had bought it, found he didn't like roadbiking, kept it for ages, then let it go. It was immaculate in every sense, you'd have thought it'd just come out of the showroom.
Seems plausible.

BSRU

A Human Being
Being overly suspicious I would be concerned with someone who has bought such a nice bike but thinks they have v brakes:ohmy: ., could be an innocent mistake though.

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
Judging by the colour of the bar tape in the bottom photo, the 30 miles it has done must have been after a shift down the nearest coal mine! Bit optimistic with the starting price too; Dales were selling their remaining stock this week at £1400; out of the box with no doubts as to their history.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I know a guy who is constantly buying stuff like bikes cars etc usually sells them on barely used. His wife has a highly paid job and a knob of a husband.

Having said that the Specialized factory was robbed not long ago, dozens of bikes went missing.

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
Judging by the colour of the bar tape in the bottom photo, the 30 miles it has done must have been after a shift down the nearest coal mine! Bit optimistic with the starting price too; Dales were selling their remaining stock this week at £1400; out of the box with no doubts as to their history.

I thought the same. i would take a guess he has used it all summer and now wants to up/down grade so is stretching the truth with 30miles.

Most people will say "almost new" if they can get away with it.

My Father in Law is in his 60s and bought a BMW 1000cc motorbike , rode it for 50 miles , scared himself half to death and left it in the garage for over five years before selling it for next to nothing, then again he is a freelance IT consultant on about a billion pounds per hour.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I sold a barely used Schwinn mountain bike earlier this year which had been in the cupboard under the stairs since I bought it in 2000.

It still had the little moulding tags on the tyres.

I still had the original invoice, which is what I would ask this seller for.

Rando

Veteran
If bidding for a bike on eBay is it acceptable to ask the seller for the frame number or a receipt to try and check if its genuine. I am watching a bike at the moment and it is at 2k which is still a good saving over a brand new one but I am extremely wary (not just of this seller) but of eBay in general when such large sums are involved. I have emailed the seller but not had a reply yet and I know if I was asked such questions I would assist in every way possible to prove my item was legit.
So would the general rule be if no proof of ownership can be provided then walk away or be prepared at worst to lose your money ?

Peteaud

Veteran
If bidding for a bike on eBay is it acceptable to ask the seller for the frame number or a receipt to try and check if its genuine. I am watching a bike at the moment and it is at 2k which is still a good saving over a brand new one but I am extremely wary (not just of this seller) but of eBay in general when such large sums are involved. I have emailed the seller but not had a reply yet and I know if I was asked such questions I would assist in every way possible to prove my item was legit.
So would the general rule be if no proof of ownership can be provided then walk away or be prepared at worst to lose your money ?

If i was to spend that sort of cash i would go and see the bike before bidding. Any honest seller should be happy to give you information.

Rando

Veteran
If i was to spend that sort of cash i would go and see the bike before bidding. Any honest seller should be happy to give you information.
Yes would definitely view before bidding. Another reason for requiring receipt or proof of purchase is that seller states it has not been registered with manufacturer so if that is the case I am hoping to register it in my name for the warranty but clearly need a receipt without his name or address on it.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
you only have to look on here and see the amount of newbies asking what bike to buy as there first road bike and the ones they list are over the £1000 mark , my answer is always the same why spend that kind of money with out knowing you are going to enjoy it enough !!

you only have to look on here and see the amount of newbies asking what bike to buy as there first road bike and the ones they list are over the £1000 mark , my answer is always the same why spend that kind of money with out knowing you are going to enjoy it enough !!

hence why i got a triban3 :bicycle:

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!

If you buy a good bike and don't enjoy it, then at least you know it was not the equipment holding you back and preventing you from enjoying it. Also a higher value bike by a good brand will hold value better than a cheaper no name brand. You will lose money regardless, but at least you will get most of it back and have the peace of mind that cycling just was not for you, rather than having your enjoyment ruined by sub-standard equipment. I employ this train of thought to all hobbies!

IMO, £800-1k on a road bike is a fairly good baseline cost for a good road bike. You can spend less or more, but VFM generally tends to be best in the 800-1200 region.

Top Bottom