Does fixing a puncture get easier?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sillyoldman

Veteran
this is the best video I found to show how easy it is to fix puncture with Marathon plus tyres. Genius.

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XUFVrl0UT4

albion

Guru
The thing I also noticed about Marathon Plus.

Some fitted as loose as h**l and some would not fit without using levers.
So each tyre can be different.

OP
OP
Binka

Binka

Über Member
Ok have had another go using the method in the video above. Thanks for that it made it loads easier and using the straps is a great idea. Only problem is now I don't seem to have got the valve out far enough for the pump to fix onto. I shoved it in enough at first but it must have slipped back as I put the second wall in. Can't push it out now so think ill have to take one wall off again!

I feel like I've been lifting weights.....my arms are killing me and my fingers are so sore. I'm such a wuss! I feel like I'm getting better though.

OP
OP
Binka

Binka

Über Member
I haven't had a puncture in over 1000 miles. Am thinking of going touring and didnt want my first go at fixing one to be in some remote place with another 40 miles to go.

I bet I get two next week now. :smile:

screenman

Legendary Member
Not a good video, the valve should be last as this prevents the tyre dropping into the lower part of the rim if done earlier, think about that and you will get why, also look at the strap buckles. The guy would not be let loose on a pair of my wheels.

OP, where in Lincoln are you?

ShipHill

Get the valve done first... but what do I know... anyway it sounds like you're making progress and you'll find your own way.

screenman

Legendary Member
Get the valve done first... but what do I know... anyway it sounds like you're making progress and you'll find your own way.
Why? I have explained the reasoning behind my method and I am happy to see yours. I was shown valve last by a top GB mechanic too many years ago and have passed it on to many who it has helped.

ShipHill

In my own personal experience I prefer to get the valve in first. That goes for car, motorcycle and any other vehicle. The important thing is not to a) pinch the tube and b) lose the valve in the tyre (not the end of the world I know).

I've found that leaving the valve until last increases the risk of losing it in the tyre when the last bit of bead pops on. This may tend to happen more on cars and motorbikes where the tyre is wider, but I just do the same when I'm fixing a bicycle tyre. Even so I still hold the valve when I pop the last bit of tyre on. This is obviously less likely to happen on say a 700x28 that a big fat MTB tyre due to the amount of room the valve can drop back.

Or...

... attach something (like a pump) to the valve to stop it dropping inside the rim hole.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
The first time I put on a Marathon Plus ( having watched the Spa Cycles video ), I used eighteen cable ties and still struggled for forty five minutes. My fingers hurt like crazy. Marathon Plus tyres are a lot easier to fit once they have done some mileage. The rubber seems to get more supple. BTW,the trick of getting the bead down into the bottom of the rim to get more slack works well with any tyre.

screenman

Legendary Member
In that case pop into the Anchor Lincoln wheelers should be in the Anchor at lunch time, go and say hello if you can, they are a great bunch. A few live in the village, I am in Bardney so a bit far for you to pop over for me to show you how I fit a tyre.

Last edited:

screenman

Legendary Member
Shiphill, if you feel there is a chance of losing the valve I would suggest popping the dust cap on a couple of turns once you have put it in.

Also in car tyres the valve does not sit in the well, this makes valve first fine.

Top Bottom