Does fixing a puncture get easier?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Thanks, will try not using tyre levers to put the tyre back on next time. Ive got marathon plus tyres which I've read are hard to get on and off.
Hi Binka, I got Marathon Plus too. On fitting them for the first time I broke 3 tyre leavers, almost broke digits, took me over 2 hours. Got a pinch flat next day (my fault for pinching the inner tube), fortunately not far from work, changed tube after work: took me an hour! :girl: :blush:
The good thing about Marathons is that if you keep them properly inflated, check routinely for embedded sharp debris, you should not get punctures.
It is true they get easier to fit with use, the rubber becomes softer.

Sillyoldman

Veteran
Not a good video, the valve should be last as this prevents the tyre dropping into the lower part of the rim if done earlier, think about that and you will get why, also look at the strap buckles. The guy would not be let loose on a pair of my wheels.

OP, where in Lincoln are you?

Valve last? Not according to Campagnolo tech documentation for their wheels. Each to their own, I find valve first easiest.

screenman

Legendary Member
Valve last? Not according to Campagnolo tech documentation for their wheels. Each to their own, I find valve first easiest.

Maybe that is why a lot of people struggle to fit tyres on Campag wheels.

If you think what we are trying to achieve when fitting a tyre, which is to get the most of the tyre into the lowest part then you will understand the valve stops us from doing this, not for much but enough to make it harder to fit some tyres on some wheels. The last time I had to use a lever to fit a tyre was the last time I did not do valve last.

Now of course the method I use may well not be the same as yours, but just give it a try sometime you may well like it. Most people who battle with fitting do so because they are concentrating purely on the last bit, if they took a few seconds to move the rest of the tyre in they would maybe find things easier.

If you do decide valve first then push it up inside the tyre, if it is left under they tyre bead when fitting then again it can make the tyre harder to fit.

Of course I am just saying what works for myself, somebody who does not have a problem fitting tyres, so I could still be wrong according to many and I accept that.

Last edited:

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...

screenman

Legendary Member
Just seems easier. Push the valve part way into the rim so the tyre pops on and the rest follows as easy as an easy thing.

I have always done it that way for as far back as I can remember

I was hoping for an actual mechanical like reason. I know it works for you but this topic is for somebody not finding the task easy. I have taken the time to say why valve last makes mechanical sense, was hoping somebody argue why I may be wrong.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I was hoping for an actual mechanical like reason. I know it works for you but this topic is for somebody not finding the task easy. I have taken the time to say why valve last makes mechanical sense, was hoping somebody argur why I may be wrong.

I don't think either is wrong or there is a mechanical advantage or disadvantage either way. It's just what's easier for yourself.

My mechanical reason for doing valve first is that you can seat the tyre round the valve then work round from there.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
If you start at the valve it then prevents you putting the beads right down into the well of the rim at that point - which helps if you are trying to fit a tight tyre.

screenman

Legendary Member
I don't think either is wrong or there is a mechanical advantage or disadvantage either way. It's just what's easier for yourself.

My mechanical reason for doing valve first is that you can seat the tyre round the valve then work round from there.
Ian there is certainly an advantage to valve last, as it allows the tyre to centre properly. Valve first does not.

For an inexperienced valve last is best, for the expert valve last is best, for the rest just have an open mind.

If you never try you never know.

Top Bottom