Does fixing a puncture get easier?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
Well, I haven't read the advice of most tyre manufacturers, the rim was freezing cold as it came in from the garage, the tyres had actually been pretty close to my radiator, and as it happened, despite how terrible the video apparently is, using zip ties made it much, much easier to fit the tyre.

Also, after some experimenting, I found that doing the valve first was easiest. When I did valve last I couldn't manage to do it without pinching the tyre. So I did valve first, loosened off the nut on the valve so that the tube could drop down into the tyre, and it worked really well.

This morning I rode into work on the tyres. I needed a little more effort to get going on them (understandably — they weigh more and aren't slick like my old tyres), and made an odd noise — a bit like riding on wet grit, or, when I'd got up to speed, like I had an electric bike. But passing pedestrians didn't seem to notice, so they're probably not too noisy. And they didn't affect how long I took to get to work. Now I just need some ice to ride on.

Valve area last gives you more tyre to play with, so maybe you were just unlucky with a tube pinch. Not sure how you guys manage that though, not something that never occurs amongst our circle, maybe it is an age thing. Something like over 50 and it does not happen, maybe down to luck maybe something else.

London Female

Über Member
this is the best video I found to show how easy it is to fix puncture with Marathon plus tyres. Genius.

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XUFVrl0UT4

Thank you for posting that. From next month I will be cycling to and from work and was thinking of trying marathon plus but was worried about getting them on.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Yes - I would recommend that video too - the technique applies to all tyres - you must get the beads down into the well. You don't always need the straps. The same technique applies to getting the tyre off too, so it is quite feasible to do without tyre levers much of the time. I would always check that the tube isn't trapped, only takes a few seconds.

sazzaa

Got my first puncture today waaaaaah.

Time to learn how to deal with it. Take it inner tubes are much of a muchness as long as they're the right size? Or is there a standout brand?

sazzaa

Always carry a couple of spare tubes ,nowt worse than faffing about in the cold , wet and dark trying to mend a tube unless you have too.

I do carry a puncture repair kit, but I was close to home so just walked the bike back home and took the car to work instead. And to be honest, I would have been guessing what to do with the repair kit anyway!

youngoldbloke

I do carry a puncture repair kit, but I was close to home so just walked the bike back home and took the car to work instead. And to be honest, I would have been guessing what to do with the repair kit anyway!
Now you have a good opportunity to practice puncture repair at home then:thumbsup:. Next time you might be further from home and as others have said it's a lot easier to change a tube than faff about at the side of the road trying to repair a tube. Take it home and deal with it there. Always make sure you know what caused the puncture and deal with it before replacing the tube, or it's likely you'll simply end up with another punctured tube:excl:.

Davidc

Guru
not seen it mentioned....................

does anybody use washing up liquid as a lube on the rim..?

after all, they spread that white gunk on car rims
Out on the road I've always found a squirt of water from my water bottle helps make refitting the tyre easy. (I don't like the taste of washing up liquid so haven't tried it).

youngoldbloke

not seen it mentioned....................

does anybody use washing up liquid as a lube on the rim..?

after all, they spread that white gunk on car rims
Talcum powder dusted inside the tyre when you change the tube acts as a lubricant, and prevents the tube sticking to the tyre or the rim tape.

Top Bottom