Does fixing a puncture get easier?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
how do you ensure the tyre profile is concentric....

bought a Peugeot with 700x23c Continentals
tyres brand new - but decided to install new tubes for peace of mind

no probs until inflated - there is a 'ridge' on the wall just above bead
it doesn't sit on the rim edge all the way round when inflated IYSWIM

so when spinning the wheel, the tyre seems to 'bulge' up and down
deflate - wiggle/roll the bead - inflate - same - :cursing:

help.?
It is usually due to the bead not being seated properly, perhaps because the tube is pinched. On one such occasion, however, I discovered that the tyre was breaking up from the inside, which was a bit of a scary discovery! :eek:

It is usually due to the bead not being seated properly, perhaps because the tube is pinched. On one such occasion, however, I discovered that the tyre was breaking up from the inside, which was a bit of a scary discovery! :eek:
That was my thought

John the Canuck

..a long way from somewhere called Home..
thanks..................^^^^^

sorry i wasn't clear
the bead is seated too far 'down' in the rim
the tube is not pinched - made sure by squeezing the tyre walls and looking into the well

could be the tyre didn't come up enough afterwards..?
i'll deflate again and try re-seating the bead

jim55

Guru
yeah deflate and make sure you check tube isnt trapped under bead of tyre ,it might not be enough to puncture blow out but b enough to make it look a bit off .
push the tyre (with tube inside it )right into well of rim all the way round (pinch it together basically )and reinflate

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Well I've decided that winter is gone and replaced the studded tyres on the spare bike with their normal summer tyres. So far so good, only took an hour (but that does include looking for glass too). For me I sort of bounce the wheel a bit before reinflating to settle it into place.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
^ :thumbsup: me too. Half inflate the tyre and turn and bounce the wheel to make sure tube is settled in tyre, and tyre settled in place on rim.

Roadhump

Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted
As quite a non-technical type I have found fixing punctures gets easier. I hadn't had one for years and then got 4 in 3 months (2 in one ride) last Autumn despite having armadillo tyres. I changed to Schwalbe Marathon Plus as the owner of the local bike shop advised me you would have to be very unlucky to get punctures with them - tempting fate, but so far so good. I have never been able to get a tyre on my road bike without using levers but have on my mountain bike - must try using water next time as advised above.

Top Bottom