Does fixing a puncture get easier?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sharky

Guru
An old tale from my Dad. One of his group punctured and nobody had spare tubes or patches left. So they stuffed the tyre with "grass" and it was enough to get him home. Would have been in about 1937. They were are a bit more resourceful in those days!

Keith

Widge

Baldy Go
My problem is not so much replacing tube and tyre...but RE_FITTING a rear wheel to a road bike with narrow clearances, next to no wiggle room and a chain that never goes where I want it!

It's like trying to fit an octopus into a saxophone :wacko:

I never know whether I should flip the bike (which makes everything upside down and back to front )- or try to wrestle it in with the bike upright?
Never the same problem with my MTB. :sad:

Tips welcome! :thumbsup:

w

Sharky

Guru
My problem is not so much replacing tube and tyre...but RE_FITTING a rear wheel to a road bike with narrow clearances, next to no wiggle room and a chain that never goes where I want it!

I never know whether I should flip the bike (which makes everything upside down and back to front )- or try to wrestle it in with the bike upright?

w

Chain on the smallest sprocket
Loosen the cable thingies to widen the clearance on your brakes. You should have one on the brake calipers and one on your brake levers.

If this doesn't work, need to inflate the tyre after you have put it back in the frame.

Cheers keith

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah

w

Make sure that your put the gears/chain onto the highest gear (smallest cog) at the back. That way the chain will fit easier.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Bike upright. Make sure the chain is on the smallest front chain ring and rear cog before you take the wheel out. Tip - If you need to move the rear mech/chain and you are worried about getting your hands dirty look for a handy dock leaf or similar, or carry disposable plastic gloves.
- and remember to do up the QR on the brake before setting off again.

alans

black belt lounge lizard
There is an NVQ course available for puncture repairing that begins as a novice & continues through higher education,to university, extending to Diploma,Doctorate & PPP (Professor of Punctures Person) status.
Curriculum details available on request.

Last edited:

BAtoo

Über Member
Well the P fairy visited me yesterday (probably a pinch after hitting a pot-hole at a reasonable speed).
700C, 25mm Continentals on Mavic rims.
Tyre off one side only using levers to start with.
Tube out, found and repaired the hole as i was doing it a home.
Tube in and pushed up into the tyre.
Very slightly inflate the tyre.
Starting at the valve, push the valve in a little and slip the rim in. (been doing it this way for 40years on a variety of bikes)
Then grasp the tube either side of the start with hands around the whole tyre and rim and roll the tyre bead into the rim.
Work both ways from the starting point.
As you go push the tyre into the well of the rim and check the tube is not caught.
I usually find I can get all but the last 6-9 inches of tyre in easily, the last bit is a bit more difficult but the rolling technique works.
Inflate tyre.
Check it stays inflated.
Find it doesnt :sad:
Back to the beginnign and repair the second hole.
All done leisurely in 30 minutes whilst watching the end of the Grand Prix !!

sazzaa

I finally got round to replacing my inner tube yesterday, found it all quite easy apart from getting the wheel back in (rear wheel), what an absolute faff! Have now bought disposable gloves so I don't get clarted in oil next time.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I finally got round to replacing my inner tube yesterday, found it all quite easy apart from getting the wheel back in (rear wheel), what an absolute faff! Have now bought disposable gloves so I don't get clarted in oil next time.

Make sure you put the gears into the highest (smallest cog) first. Makes putting the chain and wheel back on much easier.

Had a puncture on Friday - really no bother. Found the leak wsa not far from the valve and no glass/stone/thonr left in the tyre

I had an inner tube but in the dry no trouble to change the inner tube

Bob

Big Nick

Yes it does get easier......if you have quick release skewers and if you don't your axle bolts aren't seized on!!

sazzaa

Make sure you put the gears into the highest (smallest cog) first. Makes putting the chain and wheel back on much easier.

I did this and still struggled! I think it would be easier if the bike had been upside down instead of on the workstand?

John the Canuck

..a long way from somewhere called Home..
how do you ensure the tyre profile is concentric....

bought a Peugeot with 700x23c Continentals
tyres brand new - but decided to install new tubes for peace of mind

no probs until inflated - there is a 'ridge' on the wall just above bead
it doesn't sit on the rim edge all the way round when inflated IYSWIM

so when spinning the wheel, the tyre seems to 'bulge' up and down
deflate - wiggle/roll the bead - inflate - same - :cursing:

help.?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I did this and still struggled! I think it would be easier if the bike had been upside down instead of on the workstand?
Hit it! :thumbsup:

I was struggling to get my rear wheel back in after a puncture repair on Saturday. I had put the chain on the smallest sprocket and had made sure that everything was lined up properly. It turned out to be the brake blocks squeezing the tyre, despite having slackened the brake with the button on the ergoshifter (Campagnolo).

One solution would have been to fit the wheel with the tyre flat and then reinflate it, but I couldn't be bothered with that. A couple of well-aimed blows to the tyre with the palm of my hand knocked the wheel into place.

Top Bottom