Does fixing a puncture get easier?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Binka

Über Member
I've never had a puncture so today as the weather was rubbish I thought I'd have a go at changing an inner tube, which I've never done before.

It was awful. Took me ages to get the wheel off, got tyre off ok, took inner tube out (I'd deflated it), put it back in. Really struggled getting the tyre back on. Went to re inflate inner tube and couldn't.

Turns out I'd somehow managed to puncture the inner tube while taking it out/putting it back in.

So tyre off again. Replaced inner tube. Couldn't get tyre back on this time as my fingers were so painful. Had to get husband to do it.

No idea how I managed to puncture the inner tube. While thing took me 2.5 hours and I couldn't even manage it myself. I'm really worried now what I'll do if I get a puncture 20 miles from home and husband isn't with me.

Peteaud

Veteran
Practice at home.

It's much easier in the warm and dry and you will get used to doing it.

A cold wet day is never good anyway.

screenman

Legendary Member
Phone Barron Cycles and ask them if you can pay them for 30 minutes labour to show you how to do it. Failing that Youtube and practise.

I hope you know of Barrons, superb shop not far from Lincoln.

OP
OP
Binka

Binka

Über Member
I was doing it in the kitchen at home. I've watched YouTube videos to get an idea of what to do. Barrons might be a good idea, thanks.

ShipHill

Speaking as someone who has changed hundreds of tyres on cars, bikes and trucks in his life when I was a tyrefitter many years ago, it will get easier.

Always check thoroughly round the inside of the tyre for whatever caused the puncture.

Water is a great lubricant for getting the tyre on and off the wheel. Dry rubber on metal isn't that good a combination. A bit of water from a bottle, tap or even a puddle will help.

Be careful not to pinch the tube with your tyre levers when removing the tyre. Partially inflate (very partially) the tube before putting it back in the tyre.

You should be able to get the tyre back on without using levers, just your hands. If you use levers, you risk pinching the tube creating another hole.

There's loads of videos on YouTube which are probably very good although I've never watched any myself.

OP
OP
Binka

Binka

Über Member
Thanks, will try not using tyre levers to put the tyre back on next time. Ive got marathon plus tyres which I've read are hard to get on and off.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Its easy. My Dad showed me when I was a kid and I have fixed several dozen punctures/changed innertubes since. Its just a case of practicing and not worrying about it. Worrying will make things worse :smile:
I carry a spare innertube with me and a puncture repair kit too, a pump too. I find that with clever packing that there is enough room in my little saddle bag for some chocolate as well. For medicinal purposes you understand.

albion

Guru
Deep rims and marathon plus means its next to impossible to get the tyre on without using a lever.

Makes sure the levers are plastic to reduce the risk.

ShipHill

Thanks, will try not using tyre levers to put the tyre back on next time. Ive got marathon plus tyres which I've read are hard to get on and off.
Once you've mastered that, the rest is easy. The last bit of the tyre is the hardest to get on.

What you need to do is make sure the 90% of the tyre you have got on so far is in the well of the rim, not on the bead... if you follow my drift. A bit like the letter "E" with the middle bit of the E being the 2 beads and tube squished together or at least off of the rim. Someone may have a better analogy, but that's what you're aiming for.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It is no use practicing doing it the wrong way and it is absolutely untrue to say that there are no secrets or tricks! I punctured twice a day for a week until an experienced cyclist told me where I was going wrong, which was damaging the tubes using tyre levers when putting the tyre back on.

Top Bottom