Don't always blame the motorist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Anything you have ever written that contains anything of any sense whatsoever is now completely lost in the sheer stupidity of your selection excluding people who know loads about the subject and, even worse, assuming that some of those people fail your selection criteria.
Is the parp written by an example of the cyclist hating Cyclist? Tis why I hate Cyclists.

Where are long boardists in this hierarchy?
malibu!

long-board-training-days.jpg

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
This was in response to a post that has been removed for some reason best known to the writer, and so it makes no sense really. The word 'sport' has been replaced with 'hobby' in a later version of the original. Just in case anyone wonders what I was on about.
Yeahbut when did you take up the hobby and what is your longest long distance ride eh? eh? EH?

Sorry for the delay...Long distance tourers,weighed down with panniers covering many miles both here and abroad.....people who respect the road and other users, not a glib bunch of heroes who took up a hobby 18 months ago ,joined a forum and are now experts. (ring a bell anyone)

Yes, how many?

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
not a glib bunch of heroes who took up a hobby 18 months ago ,joined a forum and are now experts. (ring a bell anyone)
Yeah, let's make them all use the cycle path until they learn better.
Even on a Sunday, when Mr. Car Driver should not be in such a hurry, but, hey-ho, they are a danger to themselves ( reference to your previous, deleted post).
What if you actually need your bike to go to work and you don't have a car?
Take the unlit canal path or 2 buses, it's only a hobby after all.
That aside we really should follow the approach of other countries in that cyclists are barred from many A routes as they are simply a pain in the arse and are putting themselves in danger..
The narrow, long winded road in the op does not sound like an A road.

I need to stop reading this thread, it's giving me a hopeless feeling.
I wonder if, according to you @doog, children would be allowed to ride to school or to their friends?

That aside we really should follow the approach of other countries in that cyclists are barred from many A routes as they are simply a pain in the arse and are putting themselves in danger.
A routes is not a universal term. I'm not sure what other countries have the term, and if they mean the same.

Can you give examples of where you mean?

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Sorry for the delay...Long distance tourers,weighed down with panniers covering many miles both here and abroad.....people who respect the road and other users, not a glib bunch of heroes who took up a hobby 18 months ago ,joined a forum and are now experts. (ring a bell anyone)

That aside we really should follow the approach of other countries in that cyclists are barred from many A routes as they are simply a pain in the arse and are putting themselves in danger...many European countries have nailed this, the UK as usual really dont have a clue and we end up with the OP's post.

What a load of unmitigated
x1f40e.png
1f4a9.png

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I'm getting a bit confused by all this. A vociferous group give the impression that motorists in general are thoroughly nasty bullies. I don't seem to share the roads with these caricature villains. It must make cycling a rather unpleasant experience to pedal along with a general sense of seething outrage.

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
I'm getting a bit confused by all this. A vociferous group give the impression that motorists in general are thoroughly nasty bullies. I don't seem to share the roads with these caricature villains. It must make cycling a rather unpleasant experience to pedal along with a general sense of seething outrage.
Strange, I'm not seeing that at all. I saw a post from someone who was slightly impeded in his progress by having to share space with other road users. Since then I've seen, mostly, reasonable explanations of why the cyclists may have been riding as they were, based on the description of the road given in the OP.

Most drivers (and cyclists!) are pretty competent most of the time. Being sensibly assertive and owning space when riding is necessary to deal with the minority that are not. That's not seething outrage, it's caution. But it's still a pleasurable way to travel.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
dickhead....if I call you a nobber I might get away with it
"dickhead...." How so? You've given some very specific qualification criteria above for holding and expressing opinions. I'm interested in who in here reaches your standard.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Sorry for the delay...Long distance tourers,weighed down with panniers covering many miles both here and abroad.....people who respect the road and other users, not a glib bunch of heroes who took up a hobby 18 months ago, joined a forum and are now experts. (ring a bell anyone)

That aside we really should follow the approach of other countries in that cyclists are barred from many A routes as they are simply a pain in the arse and are putting themselves in danger...many European countries have nailed this, the UK as usual really dont have a clue and we end up with the OP's post.

Now thats an interesting post and and something I would normally agree with. Its in the DNA of every driver to get past a cyclist as proven in the OP & by your own rather questionable statement above that cyclists (apart from you and your long distance panniers naturally) are a pain in the arse on certain roads. and I hate it

However you've ignored the road in question, the road conditions, the experience of the OP (and the fact he's an experienced cyclist) and have glibly gone down' the cyclists cant do no wrong (pedant hat - is that Brian Cant or do you need an apostrophe for the double negative?) ' route . Lost on the thread was an early post about an event on the same road where people were encouraged to go single file, I wonder why that was...?

You have the MOST narrow minded view of your own self importance and need to be right that I've seen outside of the worst excesses of SC&P:

*You've failed with the emotional blackmail and petty abuse schtick to shut people up.

*Your strange belief that long distance cycling = worthy, anything else = hobbyists who need to shut up and listen to the gospel according to doog, has been treated with the contempt it deserves.

*Now you've decided that theres only you and those who's opinions you choose to approve of are experienced enough to be allowed to comment? Nice one.

You are that desperate to be right you'll happily tie your arguments up to the point of making yourself appear ridiculous. You know & can personally vouch for everyone's cycling life stories to be making such definite statements?

Maybe because it was just as wrong as the near instant MGIF usurping of the couples control of the road in the OP, done with such little patience and consideration that even the most experienced and longest distance cyclist in the world could not have had time to make an informed and adequate enough judgement of them and their competence/attitude/intention to enable a safe pass AT THEIR DISCRETION to make it worthy of such criticism.

I know that road around where you'd be turning off up towards Giggleswick, its not too far from me and is my preferred route to Skipton and Harrogate, done Preston on it too, in a car admittedly but never had a problem I felt I had to get all frothy mouthed and internetty over. It is not a short road nor a uniform experience. How can
you know to be so sure in your dismissal of others that the post you reference is the same bit of it as Gavroche was using any more than I or others can?
How can you know unequivocally those factors you claim others have ignored? the road surface & conditions right there and then or the weather or the confidence & competence of both the cycling parties and those expecting them to act differently & whatever other factors that you may wish to consider that make even riding the same route many times, different every time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom