Don't always blame the motorist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Oh look, I can use coloured text

Give your head a shake..I think your'e taking this place slightly too seriously. pots kettles

Wheres the OP again...bullied off the forum per chance ?

see what I mean about petty abuse, you just can't help yourself can you?

When you make so many rash comments in such a short space of time it helps to differentiate them. Highlighter pens sell well in W H Smiths for much the same reason.

Maybe Gavroche having accepted the sense of the counter argument that he was a tad hasty in MGIF and subsequent public condemnation of an innocent couple just going about their day (no bullying at all there is there) has made a tactical withdrawal to save further embarrassment.

but you'd clearly know best, you are doog after all

doog

"dickhead...." How so? .

It was a prudent slip that just might have been down to your constant chipping away and enthusiasm to jump on the usual bandwagon. Perhaps you can share some real world experience of similar road conditions, I'd be genuinely interested, ive offered a viewpoint from a different perspective that you and others have belittled in the same way the OP was belittled)..I appreciate it might involve you dropping the comedy / sarcasm persona but im sure just for a minute you and a few others can attempt it.

Last edited:
Just thought a bit of perspective might be helpful at this point.

you_are_here_galaxy.jpg

Sorry, I realise you can't quite pick out the A59 from that.

doog

see what I mean about petty abuse, you just can't help yourself can you?

When you make so many rash comments in such a short space of time it helps to differentiate them. Highlighter pens sell well in W H Smiths for much the same reason.

Maybe Gavroche having accepted the sense of the counter argument that he was a tad hasty in MGIF and subsequent public condemnation of an innocent couple just going about their day (no bullying at all there is there) has made a tactical withdrawal to save further embarrassment.

but you'd clearly know best, you are doog after all

Im witnessing plenty of petty abuse in your pretty pink posts thanks, but oh look - here come the cavalry....ill just make myself another cuppa. Sean must be shaking his head, I guess like me he thought the mob mentality was limited to helmet debates. Little did he realise that without that particular outlet the cancer would spread across multiple threads.

What was the usual call to arms "Oh look we've got a live one here" ...tut tut..nothings changed apart from the subject headline.

martint235

Dog on a bike
That aside we really should follow the approach of other countries in that cyclists are barred from many A routes as they are simply a pain in the arse and are putting themselves in danger...many European countries have nailed this, the UK as usual really dont have a clue and we end up with the OP's post.
Sorry but as a taxpayer, I already pay for motorways to prioritise road traffic, why should I also pay for the A roads if I'm to be forbidden from using them?

Let's get rid of cycle lanes and all that pointless sh*te. Teach road users how to get along with each other and respect each other's space instead.

A roads are often the shortest and therefore quickest way from A to B on a bike and I've no intention of giving up on them any time soon.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
It was a prudent slip that just might have been down to your constant chipping away and enthusiasm to jump on the usual bandwagon. Perhaps you can share some real world experience of similar road conditions, I'd be genuinely interested, ive offered a viewpoint from a different perspective that you and others have belittled in the same way the OP was belittled)..I appreciate it might involve you dropping the comedy / sarcasm persona but im sure just for a minute you and a few others can attempt it.
Real world experience of cycling on NSL SC A roads? Alone, with my missus, or in a group? On a road bike? On a tourer? On an mtb? With panniers? Without? In the 70's, the 90's, the 00's, or in the current decade?

Nah. I've no need to demonstrate my credentials, plenty in here know how I roll. In fact riding with them, considering their pov on the craft of cycling, seeing how inclusive they are, et cetera, has made me a better bike rider, and, I hope, a better man. It certainly helped me shed my own previously motor-centric mindset.

Suffice to say I hope to ride at all times in a way which prioritises my safety, and the safety of those I ride with, over the convenience of motorists.

I don't expect those motorists I "inconvenience and delay", nor those on bikes who think with that same motor-centric mindset, to understand my behaviour whilst riding a bike. Not least of all because to them cycling is a sport, a hobby, a pastime, and my bikes are just childish toys. Whereas to me, a bike is my primary means of transport...

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
No, he really is like that.
As tlh sometimes says "This is Gregry. He's a bit grumpy, has a heart of gold, but there are no hidden depths."

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
The attitude of the OP is at the core of everything that's bad about cycling in a car centric society. The post and it's weird title identifies him as a 'cyclist hating cyclist'. Motoring is the norm. We're all drivers. So amongst those of us who both drive and cycle there's a group whose driving mentality is so deeply ingrained that they think of cyclists as an 'out group'. This combined with an incomplete understanding of the rules of the road make them think, upon catching up with a cyclists in their car, that the cyclists are somehow 'in the way'. Thus is at the crux of it. The cyclists aren't in the way, they are ahead. A fallen tree is 'in the way' a cow on the road is 'in the way '. A cyclist riding along in front of your car is another road user with equal rights (some might argue - more right) to be in the road. They are not 'in the way' they are in front of you. And you are behind. They got there first. It's their road. And it therefore falls to you to treat them with courtesy and respect and patience until such time as you can safely pass. They have no obligation to let you pass. Their journey us no less important than yours. Patience. It probably took you longer to write the post complaining about this incident that the valuable time they cost you.
Amazing that a 'former driving instructor' needs this spelling out.

"After a while the anger becomes fascinating. Sometimes a driver will lean out of the window and scream "GET OUT THE WAY", when you're innocently at the side of the road, and if you were in a car you'd be much more in the way. And you wonder how exhausting it must be to scream at everything that is, technically, in the way. They must knock at random doors and yell at whoever answers "If these houses hadn't been built I could have DRIVEN through here, now GET OUT THE WAY.""
-Mark Steel

"This is the basis of car culture, the idea that the world and all of the world's people are merely in its way."
-- Travis Hugh Culley

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Real world experience of cycling on NSL SC A roads? Alone, with my missus, or in a group? On a road bike? On a tourer? On an mtb? With panniers? Without? In the 70's, the 90's, the 00's, or in the current decade?
You're selling yourself short, what about the longboard down the skate park?

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
You're selling yourself short, what about the longboard down the skate park?
I've longboarded on an A road. Very small hours, slightly pished. Very nice bit of tarmac with a good camber for carving, and a nice gentle down slope followed by a upwards incline to scrub off the speed. Braking not being my strong point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom