...dont' be fooled, a leopard never changes its spots

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yello

I said "never again" along with half of the UK cycling population

It's true. Their reputation was in the gutter at one time - for online/mail order sales & service anyway. People would say it was a different experience in store.

I've only ever bought from them once (it was last year), and it was with some concerns as I remembered too well their reputation. Suffice to say that I was greatly relieved when my order arrived.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
I was an occasional user of Ribble Cycles until 2006, at which point I said "never again" along with half of the UK cycling population - recently I returned lured by their low prices - what a fool I was!
look, we can do a crossword if we want to work out cryptic references without straight detail. Are you intending to detail the cause of your concern or is there a prize for the first person to accidentally stumble across your point?

vickster

Legendary Member
I ordered from them recently - no issue at all, best prices I could find too. All my cycling colleagues at work were most intrigued by the large Ribble box delivered to my desk

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
My recent order for chain rings was delivered on time. And by judging by the number of Ribble road bikes I saw on Sunday, about 80% were Ribbles, they must be doing something right.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
I have used them twice and on both occasions had an excellent service.

MT350

DON'T BICYCLES NEED PEDALS?
I went to the Ribble Preston store which is very sparse, so don't expect to see examples of goods/ parts to choose from. The chap who took my order seemed pleasant and knowledgable. I upgraded numerous parts to a Ribble Sportive Bianco at extra cost and having paid over £1100 I was told it was quiet so the bicycle would be ready soon, but could take up to 2 weeks.
At two weeks with no word so I called: it is due to be built this week. At exactly 3 weeks since ordering I went to collect. I wish they just told me 3 weeks and delivered on time. The bicycle was rolled out with a bag - instantly I ask "Are the pedals in the bag?" No - that should have been explained. Instead of providing a basic set of pedals which you can upgrade if you wish - you get none! DON'T ORDER AND EXPECT TO CYCLE HOME. In addition the bottle carrier, mud guards: you need to add yourself it's not included in the build.
Overall - disappointed; they let themselves down.

outlash

also available in orange
DON'T BICYCLES NEED PEDALS?
I went to the Ribble Preston store which is very sparse, so don't expect to see examples of goods/ parts to choose from. The chap who took my order seemed pleasant and knowledgable. I upgraded numerous parts to a Ribble Sportive Bianco at extra cost and having paid over £1100 I was told it was quiet so the bicycle would be ready soon, but could take up to 2 weeks.
At two weeks with no word so I called: it is due to be built this week. At exactly 3 weeks since ordering I went to collect. I wish they just told me 3 weeks and delivered on time. The bicycle was rolled out with a bag - instantly I ask "Are the pedals in the bag?" No - that should have been explained. Instead of providing a basic set of pedals which you can upgrade if you wish - you get none! DON'T ORDER AND EXPECT TO CYCLE HOME. In addition the bottle carrier, mud guards: you need to add yourself it's not included in the build.
Overall - disappointed; they let themselves down.

I think you'll find a lot of road bikes don't come with pedals, mudguards and bottle cages.... But welcome to cycle chat anyway :smile:. FWIW, I've ordered from Ribble 3 times and I've had no problems, so far so good.

Tony.

Leodis

Veteran
Ordered a bike from them a few weeks ago, the service has been pretty shoot tbh, they do answer the phone and emails more than I understand they used to but answering the phone doesn’t mean they actually do what you have asked or needed them to do.. It’s just more of been fobbed off and lied to that is shocking. Then again it’s what British business is all about, no customer service and a “you pay for what you get but hey we will take your money” attitude.

Ordered loads from Wiggle, CRC and PBK and not had one problem, in fact I got a nice energy pack from PBK on an order which was decent, Ribble owe me some cash from change of tyres and just got fobbed off with “finance will sort it”.

Ribble are cheap but they are still slack arses on customer service and communication. Sometimes wish I had just ordered a Canyon or Planet X maybe even a Rose but I am sure once the bikes arrives and I am riding it will be a cracking bike and just hope when it does arrive there are no problems or I need to question the warranty on the product.

Leodis

Veteran
Have you written to their MD, s/he may be interested in your views about the company's service ;)

Lol no... Got a dispatch email this morning, the 1980s style website hadnt updated the status so I called, asked when it was dispatched and said this morning, pretty sure the same fella said it would be picked up yesterday, chased up my small refund after "finance will sort it" and thats been taken care of.

It really doesnt take much to manage an order, if something is out of stock you speak to people not email them, it slows the process down and has a knock on affect. Basics.

vickster

Legendary Member
There are however a lot of customers who won't pick up the phone, preferring to only rely on email. Often see people complaining about not having received a reply to an email, sent through a website especially, but they haven't called. I like email if an issue as you have a record of the communication, but not afraid to call if needed.

I expect Ribble are a victim of their own success, much busier now, but haven't had the time or inclination to staff up to deal with the increased popularity of cycling...hence suggesting an email to the boss. They'll likely appreciate the feedback as won;t want to lose custom. 1 bad review outweighs about 10 good ones!

Leodis

Veteran
Thanks Vickster, I will email them when I get the bike and take a look. I have just emailed Wiggle & PBK some good feedback, Wiggle have been very good as I have ordered about half dozen things from them (you know what its like with a new bike) from tubes to a torque wrench.

vickster

Legendary Member
PBK have a pretty mixed rep on this forum, never used myself. Wiggle fine. Buying online can be pretty hit and miss. I have had some very poor retail experiences recently (not to mention a lot of ongoing cr*p with a car :cursing: )

Top Bottom