Don't lend your good bike.......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Don't lend your good bike to a friend who doesn't know how to change gear :stop:! Or if you do, don't go out for a ride with said friend to witness him crunching through every gear change. Despite me trying to drop subtle hints re forward planning, using lower gears rather than grinding, and easing off the pressure on the pedals while changing, he clearly decided his way was best for a 60 mile jaunt. Oh well, I suppose a bit of wear and tear on a chain and cassette isn't such a big deal; but I won't be doing it again in a hurry :whistle:.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
No one touches my bike. the other half just cleans around it.^_^

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
Your "Good BIke"? Why weren't you riding it???

I knew someone might pick up on that :thumbsup:. My 3 bikes are all good in my eyes, but it wasn't my BEST bike! It was actually my MTB, but a little bit of mechanical sympathy would have been nice all the same.....

Not loaned my bikes but often been out with my brother in law who had a boardman carbon - lovely compared to my giant scr3, but my god can he crunch gears.
Similar with a colleague who has a Cube attempt... Damned shame in both cases to see a 105 group-set put to such bad use.

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
No one touches my bikes but me....on pain of death.

Norm

Having taught my own kids and a few friends to ride, including lending them my (older) bikes, I'd just stop him and tell him what he needs to do, why he needs to do it and how much trouble he will be in if he doesn't stop screwing with my bike!

My kids were a little unsympathetic until I got the bike up on a stand and actually showed them what happens when you change gear, they soon understood and now ease of for a revolution if they need to swap cogs.

I would (and have!) also lend my bike to peeps who were interested in buying something similar.

D

Deleted member 1258

I wouldn't lend any of my bikes to anyone, they are set up for me and wouldn't suit anyone else.

;)
I ride a 52 frame, i do not think anyone i know is that "compact " on a compact frame ....

You sound a similar size to me, my fixed has horizontal top tube and is a 54, my geared bike is a compact size 53 and is one size to big, I recon a 52 would be perfect, unfortunately I had a choice of 50 or 53 and the 50 would have been too small.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I wouldn't lend any of my bikes to anyone, they are set up for me and wouldn't suit anyone else.

You sound a similar size to me, my fixed has horizontal top tube and is a 54, my geared bike is a compact size 53 and is one size to big, I recon a 52 would be perfect, unfortunately I had a choice of 50 or 53 and the 50 would have been too small.

54 cm top tube , 110 mm stem with about 63 cm from where the hoods turn up to saddle tip with saddle height of 68.8 cm saddle to BB with 170 mm crank.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Now you know how we felt when cash requirements demanded that we sell our beloved 1986 Land Rover 90. The bloke who bought it had zero mechanical sympathy for the complex transmission and told us he just wanted something to "run into the ground".

If only he knew how much that Landy meant to us as a family.....

D

Deleted member 1258

54 cm top tube , 110 mm stem with about 63 cm from where the hoods turn up to saddle tip with saddle height of 68.8 cm saddle to BB with 170 mm crank.

Pearson fixed with horizontal top tube, 54cm top tube, 90 stem and 165 cranks.
Verenti Kilmeston compact frame, 54.5cm top tube, 75 stem and 172.5 cranks.
My arm length is short compared to my leg length, hence the short stems.
I don't know the other measurements, I'd have to stop and measure to get the rest and the kilmeston's in the shed.

Top Bottom