Don't ride in groups or we will be stopped cycling completely.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Venod

Eh up
To be absolutely clear, I almost always greet other riders, but right now there'll be no pleasantries if I strongly suspect people are out on social rides with people they don't live with.

That's your prerogative but its the same as cyclists not acknowledging other cyclist because they are not wearing an helmet, the other cyclists will have no idea why they have been ignored and will just regard you as another antisocial bike rider.

mustang1

Legendary Member
Instead of banning cycling completely, why don't they just ban cycling in groups completely?

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Well I cycled 29.69 miles in 2:02:47 this morning 🤫😀

On the ride I saw five police vehicles which is highly unusual. I could ride the route 100 times under normal conditions and see none. All in rural locations.

At two separate locations an officer was speaking to a driver who had clearly parked up to look at the view. One was offering a sheet of paper to the driver. A third was talking to a group of four walking a dog.

One vehicle was tactical response. Presumably one can get taken out for ignoring social distancing? 😀

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller

On the ride I saw five police vehicles which is highly unusual. I could ride the route 100 times under normal conditions and see none. All in rural locations.

At two separate locations an officer was speaking to a driver who had clearly parked up to look at the view. One was offering a sheet of paper to the driver. A third was talking to a group of four walking a dog.

One vehicle was tactical response. Presumably one can get taken out for ignoring social distancing? 😀

And yet we're told police are desperately short of officers and need ex coppers back as volunteers.

I’ve been riding with my shadow. Is that ok as I didn’t see much of my shadow over the winter?
I took my shadow out for a late night cycle las night,
nothing went to plan, first off no shadow,
but on a serious note, More cars passed me than on most other nights
when there was no mention of Covid19.
I suspected this, because I also noted more traffic during the daytime.

I hope this doesn’t reflect a lack of compliance with the rules, asking
people to only make necessary journeys, there was most definitely no
shops or chemists open last night.

vickster

Legendary Member
I took my shadow out for a late night cycle las night,
nothing went to plan, first off no shadow,
but on a serious note, More cars passed me than on most other nights
when there was no mention of Covid19.
I suspected this, because I also noted more traffic during the daytime.

I hope this doesn’t reflect a lack of compliance with the rules, asking
people to only make necessary journeys, there was most definitely no
shops or chemists open last night.
Essential workers going to and from work?

Pale Rider

Legendary Member

As well as staying local, I would take an identity document with my address on it.

You can answer the 'what are you up to?' question by truthfully saying: "I live in (insert address within a few miles) and I'm just out for my daily ration."

The topic of how long you've been out is then unlikely to be raised, and even if the copper asks for proof of address, he will quickly lose all interest in you after you've shown him the document.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
As well as staying local, I would take an identity document with my address on it.

You can answer the 'what are you up to?' question by truthfully saying: "I live in (insert address within a few miles) and I'm just out for my daily ration."

The topic of how long you've been out is then unlikely to be raised, and even if the copper asks for proof of address, he will quickly lose all interest in you after you've shown him the document.
Yes, this is good general advice. On this particular circular route my home is almost at the centre. On the flat route, again 30 miles, I did on Sunday I'd estimate I was no more than 12 miles from home at the furthest point.

I do carry ID but not with an address. Thinking about it my wife is in my phone contacts and this shows my surname and address.

Personally I view the distance and time as reasonable and justifiable at about 40% of what I usually ride.

Last edited:

Has anyone on a cycle been stopped by the police in the UK yet?

The police seem to be focused on
- speeding (radar van parked outside here on Friday night).
- groups in public spaces, and
- people driving far afield "to exercise".

Top Bottom