Don't you get fed up with negative comments at work sometimes.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dan_h

A few weeks before Christmas one of the guys I work with decided to get stuck into me because he noticed I don't wear a helmet. Generally I don't mind people having their opinions but I do object to being harangued about these matters in the office. A little inappropriate I thought. I did not answer him but walked off as it was going home time anyway. He obviously had time to think about this as I rode home as I then received an email from him that read...

"If it turns out you die due to not wearing a helmet I’m going to piss on your coffin shouting “you stupid b*****d!”."

Not being sure how to respond to this and still being irritated at the initial exchange of words I did not reply and nothing more has been said about it.

I am never sure why people feel the need to be so aggressive about these things. It is not illegal to not wear a helmet, or to have a flashing light as in the case of the OP, however people who disagree for whatever reason always seem to want to make it personal.

A few weeks before Christmas one of the guys I work with decided to get stuck into me because he noticed I don't wear a helmet. Generally I don't mind people having their opinions but I do object to being harangued about these matters in the office. A little inappropriate I thought. I did not answer him but walked off as it was going home time anyway. He obviously had time to think about this as I rode home as I then received an email from him that read...

"If it turns out you die due to not wearing a helmet I’m going to piss on your coffin shouting “you stupid b*****d!”."

Not being sure how to respond to this and still being irritated at the initial exchange of words I did not reply and nothing more has been said about it.

I am never sure why people feel the need to be so aggressive about these things. It is not illegal to not wear a helmet, or to have a flashing light as in the case of the OP, however people who disagree for whatever reason always seem to want to make it personal.

Assuming that this is not some "harmless" banter, if that happened here, I would forward the message to his manager and CC the HR department as a clear case of abuse and bullying.

Reactions: akb

Dan_h

1684710 said:
It struck me more as the cry of unrequited love .

LOL, That could be it!!

Assuming that this is not some "harmless" banter, if that happened here, I would forward the message to his manager and CC the HR department as a clear case of abuse and bullying.

Well, I was not sure how to take the email. On it's own I would have thought it was a slightly failed attempt to put his point forward in an amusing fashion, and that may have been how it was intended. In conjunction with the tirade before the email was sent I was unsure, hence my decision not to respond to it.

I am not about to go running to HR as this is only an isolated incident, if it happened all the time then I might consider speaking to his team lead about it but this is not the case. It just strikes me that people get very personal when telling you what you are doing wrong in their opinion!

dawesome

I had the same thing, on the public forum of my (very large) company.

I said I don't wear a helmet, the reply was "It would be funny if your head was run over and your face scraped off".

I did complain, he said it was a joke and got a warning.

brokenflipflop

Veteran
I'm so glad I don't work in an office anymore. I've found people to be either overly sensitive or very rude. I was always right down the middle - absolutely perfect. Also, sitting on my own in the canteen every lunchtime prepared me for the job I do now :smile:

400bhp

Guru

Unless you had a massive battery of flashing lights, this matron might want to ask herself why she mistook you for an approaching ambulance..

Actually, that's about the best comeback to her. Say something along the lines of when was the last time she had a sight test-ambulance flashing lights are a different colour etc. Put her on he back foot.

400bhp

Guru
I don't get negative comments, no-one would dare :whistle:

I get banter, but then again we banter on anything.

Top Bottom