Doping in other sports

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldroadman

Veteran
I am struggling to get my head round this one; Paula Radcliffe to be involved in deciding which European athletics records should be erased due to strong suspicions of doping...

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/e3b43e2e-d835-11e6-b069-6105840fb14c

:wacko:
Interesting. So in athletics "strong suspicion" with advice from "Ms Clean" may be enough to retrospectively alter results of major races? See you in court! In fact it would probably not get to court as they tend to work on proof not the opinions of people involved in a sport that may or may not have their own reasons for wanting things amended.

400bhp

Guru
Interesting. So in athletics "strong suspicion" with advice from "Ms Clean" may be enough to retrospectively alter results of major races? See you in court! In fact it would probably not get to court as they tend to work on proof not the opinions of people involved in a sport that may or may not have their own reasons for wanting things amended.
It's records not races

oldroadman

Veteran
It's records not races
Ah, yes, quite right, my mistake. The same thing applies though, just which records are "dodgy" and which are "clean". Who decides, for instance the long jump record I think stood for years. Was the jump chemically assisted, or was it one of those days when the wind was just under the limit, the takeoff and run up speed all were perfect, and the fly through thinner air all came together? And how is anyone to judge this, as an example.
It might be better if they just reset the clock, left all old records as historical, and started from scratch with properly tested athletes. Like, no test, no blood passport, not on ADAMS or equivalent, no record, whatever the performance.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I assume that they're talking about the old Eastern bloc records which are unbeatable, incredible and even some of the athletes have admitted they were subject to state sponsored doping from an early age.

vickster

Legendary Member
Cue
"How dare they take that gold away from Bolt. He has done nothing wrong, and should be given an extra gold for dealing with these cheats"
Discussed on Beeb last night. From an interview he gave last year, it sounded like he half expected it, must've had suspicions

HF2300

Insanity Prawn Boy
Discussed on Beeb last night. From an interview he gave last year, it sounded like he half expected it, must've had suspicions

I understood this had been brewing for a while following a positive (re?)test, I seem to remember it being talked about as a possibility last year.

The 6 fastest 100m athletes have all been achieved by dopers, bar Bolt's.
Gay, Blake, Powell, Gatlin, Carter, Bolt
How interesting. But not surprising. How many more will get caught if old samples are analysed?
Richard Moore's book, The Bolt Supremacy, is a good* exploration - he seems to be critical/sceptical but accepting; and the coaches and athletes perspectives are very interesting.

*not his best imo, but still a whole load better than most other sports books

rich p

ridiculous old lush
How interesting. But not surprising. How many more will get caught if old samples are analysed?
I'm guessing that they've only kept Olympic samples and most of them will have been retested by now.
@Marmion , I still keep the faith that Bolt is clean. It's possible, given that Michael Johnson was a similar freak of nature being clean and yet better than the dopers.
I do hope I'm right.

Top Bottom