1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Doping in other sports

Discussion in 'Pro Cycling (Road and Track Racing)' started by montage, 17 Jan 2013.

1. Marmion

Marmion Guru

My 'lympic medal table looks considerably different to the official one...

marinyork and rich p like this.
  2. Flying_Monkey

Flying_Monkey Toll Collector on the Road to Nowhere

Just reminding people that this is the Doping in Other Sports thread. For our own, there is the Doping Git thread...

Buddfox likes this.
  3. Marmion

Marmion Guru

Go on them BBC, here's another chance to mention doping and Kenya...

No? Oh well, just say "well done" and don't bother.

4. Marmion

Marmion Guru

See the fat bloke in this picture, he's currently on bail for doping athletes - and part of the Kenyan team with the marathoners
    Cp1HNV2WYAE6eH2.jpg

This is him:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-36797823

rich p likes this.
  5. HF2300

HF2300 Insanity Prawn Boy

Oops. Sorry I hurt your thread, mister.

rich p likes this.
  6. Flying_Monkey

I don't want to be overly suspicious, but let's just say that the men's 400m final yesterday was verging on the completely unbelievable.

Marmion likes this.
  7. smutchin

smutchin Cat 6 Racer

I'm watching the women's 3,000m steeplechase now. The leading Kenyan/Bahrain runner has left the whole field far, far behind.

8. smutchin

smutchin Cat 6 Racer

And she eased off in the final straight so as not to beat the world record too easily!

9. brommers

brommers Years beyond my wisdom

Well done Bolt for being the only Jamaican or American sprinter (allegedly) never to have taken drugs :rolleyes:

10. HF2300

HF2300 Insanity Prawn Boy

11. Flying_Monkey

He was very gracious. He's like that.

The other view, of course, is that it has just been a fallow period for the 400m since Johnson's record. So when someone finally comes along who's a lot better, of course the record is smashed. That's not more intrinsically suspicious that the record being beaten by a little every year or so.

12. fimm

fimm Veteran

The quote I heard from Johnson was nothing to do with doping etc but was about how he felt having had the world record he'd held for so long beaten - which was that he doesn't feel he's "lost" anything, because for him the moment when all his work and training paid off and he broke the record is what is important to him and those memories can't be taken from him - whenever the record had subsequently been broken.

13. smutchin

smutchin Cat 6 Racer

Has anyone ever raised any queries about the performances of the Brownlee brothers?

The thing that got me wondering about it was a comment elsewhere that their splits for the run would be competitive in a standalone Olympic 10km race (and I remember there was talk of Alistair possibly entering the 10km race in 2012). It's quite incredible that they're able to run that fast after a swim and a bike ride. Some might take that as a red flag, and yet I've never heard the slightest hint of suspicion being expressed about them. Or maybe it's all perfectly normal from a physiological perspective? I just don't know.

They do seem to be hugely popular within the sport in a way that the track cyclists aren't - the French competitor was being effusive about them in his post-race interview. Perhaps they're too nice for anyone to point the finger at them!

14. Supersuperleeds

Supersuperleeds Guru

We breed 'em tough in Yorkshire.

brommers and smutchin like this.
  15. smutchin

smutchin Cat 6 Racer

They are seriously tough cookies. I'm constantly amazed at their capacity to keep going with what must be seriously burning legs. I've done a couple of triathlons myself and I know it frikkin' hurts!