Doping in other sports

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
You listen to the post race analysis on the beeb, by ex athletes and you understand the bubble they live in. They just don't get it [why it's completely justifiable for the crowd to boo].

Athletics continues to bury its head in the sand in respect of doping and until they address this I believe the sport in the western world is on a downward spiral.

Just wait until the sport disappears from the BBC.
I'm always amazed that Paula Radcliffe used to be, until relatively recently, a world class athlete; she sounds as if every word could be her last as she wheezes and gasps through sentences.

The BBC athletics pundits are gushing nobbers as well as being head-in-the-sand doping apologists.

Adam4868

Guru
If Bolt would have won as everyone thought would any more have been said about Gaitlin ? Should have been booted out for good after second doping ban.On a different side I wonder if all those steroids/drugs he's took have any long lasting effect on him,to his benefit ?
As for Radcliffe I've all ways liked her,great athelete/runner and a unbelievable.pain threshold !

400bhp

Guru
I also heard they are changing the time of the 100m medal ceremony to a time when there are fewer people in the stadium, presumably to reduce the booing.

That tells me everything about the IAAF.

Very off topic, but I am always impressed by the British marathon runners who mostly seem to have come from "nowhere" e.g. "Here's Dave now, some of you might be aware of his back story, but it is one worth repeating; until last year he had only ever run a marathon as part of a husband/wife panto horse charity marathon team, with Dave being the front legs/head. The night before last year's Bolton marathon his wife decided to go out on the razz with her friends and Dave found himself standing alone on the start line with no panto horse rear end. It was then that he decided to strip down to his Y-fronts and string vest and run it solo. And the rest, as they say, is history..."

400bhp

Guru
The British chap who is currently doing the marathon and "came from nowhere" in the last year just doesn't smell right.

Very off topic, but I am always impressed by the British marathon runners who mostly seem to have come from "nowhere" e.g. "Here's Dave now, some of you might be aware of his back story, but it is one worth repeating; until last year he had only ever run a marathon as part of a husband/wife panto horse charity marathon team, with Dave being the front legs/head. The night before last year's Bolton marathon his wife decided to go out on the razz with her friends and Dave found himself standing alone on the start line with no panto horse rear end. It was then that he decided to strip down to his Y-fronts and string vest and run it solo. And the rest, as they say, is history..."
You read that in the Valiant. That's how Alf Tupper started.

I spy that Liz McColgan took to twitter earlier today to state she does not believe the Ethiopians are racing clean (or something like that):

"So from 3k to 8 k Ayana 5 k split 14:30. Until Ethiopia follow proper doping procedures i for one do not accept these athletes performances"

Adam4868

Guru

There's more and more acknowledgement of the issues outside of the mainstream BBC. 5 Live had a piece on the booing before but the presenters really need to educate themselves a bit more. There was also a recent interview with Jo Pavey which was much more progressive.

SWSteve

Guru
The British guy this year runs for Swansea harriers iirc, and was in the elite pack anyway at London (the qualifier).

To say he came from nowhere is wrong, but he had definitely been missed by the system

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I spy that Liz McColgan took to twitter earlier today to state she does not believe the Ethiopians are racing clean (or something like that):

"So from 3k to 8 k Ayana 5 k split 14:30. Until Ethiopia follow proper doping procedures i for one do not accept these athletes performances"
To put that in context, it is the 3rd fastest 5,000m this year!

If Bolt would have won as everyone thought would any more have been said about Gaitlin ? Should have been booted out for good after second doping ban.On a different side I wonder if all those steroids/drugs he's took have any long lasting effect on him,to his benefit ?
As for Radcliffe I've all ways liked her,great athelete/runner and a unbelievable.pain threshold !
A 35 year old drugs cheat beating the greatest sprinter ever who is bowing out because he's finished at 30. I can't possibly see how it would help.

Top Bottom