Doping in other sports

Discussion in 'Pro Cycling (Road and Track Racing)' started by montage, 17 Jan 2013.

1. hoopdriver

hoopdriver Veteran

How times change. When I was 12 I couldn’t even spell EPO.

In fact, I’m still not sure of the spelling - had to copy it out of a book just now...

2. Another bewildered doper gets a 2 year ban
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/42957650

Bollo likes this.
  3. rich p

rich p ridiculous old lush

Bollo and Pro Tour Punditry like this.
  4. Just watching the opening ceremony of the winter Olympics, the only believable part of it.

I wonder if anyone will have got their 'preparation' wrong and gets busted?

5. Adam4868

Adam4868 Veteran

For defecting ?

6. Robin Cousins just said something along the lines of "if you break the rules you will always be found out."

What a fud.

Bollo likes this.
  7. Bollo

Bollo Chaaaaaa!

The cold can play merry hell with people's asthma.

One for @DP - Long track speed skating is as Dutch as hagelslag and not saying please, but I've always had it down as a sport that would benefit from a bit of chemical assistance. I know a few Russian skaters have been caught (no!). Is there any scrutiny of the Netherland's success, or are they happy with the medals and don't want to ask too many questions?

8. Bollo

Bollo Chaaaaaa!

After listening to that interpretation of 'Imagine', I'm popping into town for some ketamine quick-sharp.

Beebo likes this.
  9. DP

DP Chasse patate

Dunno Bollo - I've always wondered the same about rowing. I don't sense much scrutiny or scepticism by the public at large and don't hear doping mentioned on NOS (equivalent of BBC). A bit like the GB track bike team where most people only tune in for the olympics I guess.

The Lotto Jumbo team here is actually a bike team and a skating team, so I suppose there must be some cross-over of staff and expertise. One of the top skaters, Sven Kramer, was a very handy junior cyclist - I've seen a picture of him alongside Mollema on the podium after a junior race and he seems to do a lot of cycling as cross training.

(Ed. And the Dutch do say please, but, confusingly, only when they give you stuff)

Bollo likes this.
  10. Bollo

Bollo Chaaaaaa!

Yes, that's the comparison I was talking about and rowing is another good example. It's that combination of a dope-friendly sport coupled with an audience that's happy enough not to have the questions asked.

I've skated in the past and young Bolletta skates now so I take an interest in the ice events. I can believe that the qualities of a decent TTer or track-cyclist would work well for the ice track events.

(...the please thing is a running joke with a Dutch friend who claims to be wound up by the endless pleases and thank yous that occur during any interaction between two UK nationals, even if it's a car crash)

((...the Basingstoke Ice Arena is under threat! Sign the petition!))

rich p and DP like this.
  11. Maenchi

Maenchi StoneDog

Last edited: 13 Feb 2018
  12. DP

DP Chasse patate

Done! (I remember when only Westfield Lido was there - we had to go to Southampton to skate)

Bollo likes this.
  13. And we have our first busted doper of the games, a Japanese speed skater who failed an out of competition test prior to the games
    Edit: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/winter-olympics/43040184

14. hoopdriver

hoopdriver Veteran

I've been watching the curling and my inner humorist is wondering what possible performance enhancing drugs they use to cheat in that one? :smile:

Surely drug testing curling competitors must be an almost comical exercise....

15. rich p

rich p ridiculous old lush

Snooker and bowls players have had beta blockers in the past ISTR

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice