Doping in other sports

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
It's the money that's ruined this once glorious sport. It should have remained firmly amateur.

This could be applied to every profession sport. Why would you seek to deny the athletes a chance to make money?

This world record was done on a track which is known to be fast, with modern footwear technology and special LED lights which showed the WR pace on the floor. All this would help.
On the other hand 10 seconds is essentially almost half a second a lap every lap, which is a big time gap.

I am happy to believe it to be true until proved otherwise.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Dutch athlete Sifan Hassan broke the women's world record for the 10,000 metres today. Apparently, she clocked a time of 29 minutes 6.82 seconds. The thing is, almost everyone associated with the sport was highly suspicious of the previous record - ten seconds slower than today's time - so her victory in this race today hasn't generated anything like the euphoria it would have say ten years ago. People look at a shattering of a world record like this with a 'yeah, right!' attitude. Comments about her achievements today are firmly on the sceptical side from what I've been reading.

What a shame this would be if her record was legitimate but people are too long in the tooth now to want to be more disillusioned about her time if it later (in some cases, years later) turns out to be bent.

It's the money that's ruined this once glorious sport. It should have remained firmly amateur.
And her record only stood for 3 days until an Ethiopian athlete broke it. Gutted.

Cathryn

Legendary Member

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Why, then, is it on the WADA list I wonder? I remember a skier got pinged for it at or after the Olympics a while ago.

Edit. To answer my own question, WADA say ...
Recent advances in understanding the endogenous cannabinoid system demonstrate its
important role in many critical functions that could positively affect sports performance.
This fact, together with the detrimental health effects of cannabis and its violation of the
spirit of sport, supports the prohibition of cannabis and its analogues

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3717337/pdf/nihms486945.pdf
Apparently it’s only been banned since 1999.

Why, then, is it on the WADA list I wonder? I remember a skier got pinged for it at or after the Olympics a while ago.

Edit. To answer my own question, WADA say (Cannabis in Sport:Anti-Doping Perspective 2011) ...
Recent advances in understanding the endogenous cannabinoid system demonstrate its
important role in many critical functions that could positively affect sports performance.
This fact, together with the detrimental health effects of cannabis and its violation of the
spirit of sport, supports the prohibition of cannabis and its analogues

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3717337/pdf/nihms486945.pdf
I don't find that very convincing to be honest!

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
UK Silver under threat. Ujah's going to be popular with his 3 other sprint relay runners. https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2...-chijindu-ujah-suspended-for-doping-violation

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
About as popular as Dwayne Chambers.

clearly he is innocent until proven otherwise, but sprint relay does rely on the other 3 being clean.

Top Bottom