Double-vaxxed and CV19 for the second time?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It’s funny I’m down south in Yorkshire just for now. Mask wearing is mixed however, but good to see quite a few still wearing . Still law in Scotland and I don’t see it as too big a deal.

It IS weird. The Lidl I go to, during the week, is about 75% mask wearing. I've been twice on a Sunday, each time it was about 85% NON-masking. So I won't be going on a Sunday again. Weekday mornings for me in future.

Wearing a bloomin' cloth or paper mask is NOTHING for 98% of the population, and it does offer a significant degree of protection to others in the wearer's vicinity. If people aren't willing (or being forced!) to offer that to me, then it is abundantly clear that I have to protect myself. Fortunately from years of wearing extensive PPE in my former career in radiation physics, I know how to fit, wear and use the stuff, and tbh modern N95 masks of suitable design - even if not professionally fitted - offer a pretty high level of protection to the wearer in non-clinical high exposure settings, if handled correctly.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
The whole thing has been a total crock of xxxx, here no one wore masks hardly anyway and no one is wearing them now anywhere.

It IS weird. The Lidl I go to, during the week, is about 75% mask wearing. I've been twice on a Sunday, each time it was about 85% NON-masking. So I won't be going on a Sunday again. Weekday mornings for me in future.
Sunday and Thursday are offers days so are to be avoided, well unless you need one of the offerings.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
To go back to the OP...

My dad & stepmother had a mild case of Covid in the early part of 2020, were double jabbed as soon as their age range call ups were issued (he's 81, she's 70 next year) and he had the booster shot a couple of weeks ago. They went on a pensioners' special break to Blackpool last week by coach and are now both isolating again following positive tests - again with mild symptoms. Given his age and medical history including a triple heart bypass 10 years ago, I'm of the opinion that at least the vaccine & the booster have reduced the potential effects to a minimum.

Edited to add - and it's his birthday today so he can't even have the family round having missed the big 80th gathering last year due to Government restrictions on group sizes.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
On holiday last month, 4 adults and 3 young children. All 4 adults double vaccinated and fairly switched on regarding staying safe. Youngest granddaughter was caught licking the metal bannisters at the hotel. What do you do, she's six years old. Next day she complained everything tasted bad then she felt ill and slept for 24 hrs. Yep, Covid. We all got it. For me it was a raging temperature, felt weak, shaking like a dog and stuffed up like a bad cold with headaches etc. Others reported similar.

Sunday and Thursday are offers days so are to be avoided, well unless you need one of the offerings.

When I've been on a Thursday, it's been fine. I just think it's the demographic that uses the shop at weekends compared to in the week. It's in a rather odd position for a Lidl or an Aldi tbh, but once the new build surrounding it is finished it'll be in an absolutely prime spot.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
On holiday last month, 4 adults and 3 young children. All 4 adults double vaccinated and fairly switched on regarding staying safe. Youngest granddaughter was caught licking the metal bannisters at the hotel. What do you do, she's six years old. Next day she complained everything tasted bad then she felt ill and slept for 24 hrs. Yep, Covid. We all got it. For me it was a raging temperature, felt weak, shaking like a dog and stuffed up like a bad cold with headaches etc. Others reported similar.
Oh dear - kids eh?
My covid sounds much like yours is/was, my daughter’s first was much this same.
This time around, she’s nowhere near as bad, but it’s stopped us all meeting at a big fam bash at the weekend :-(

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
The jab is 60% effective. It is therefore fairly common to catch Covid afterwards. It is more effective against serious illness.

I've been massively exposed to Covid both before and after the jabs - the whole family have had it. It doesn't give me any real symptoms and I've never tested positive. I am, however, a flu magnet, so it evens out!

Last edited:

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Pretty sure I has it last year . Albeit symptoms didn’t fit the profile but in hindsight others reported similar in later months after testing. ( bad dose of the scoots went on for a number of days )

we are all now double vaccinated now even our 15yr old has had his single vaccine . That’s as much as we can do. I will no doubt get it again just hope it weakened the longer this goes on .

newts

Veteran
I had symptoms in early March 2020 after working at a large event, never confirmed via test. First AZ jab in Feb had me feeling rough for a few days with a blinding headache, second jab 10 weeks later felt fine. Positive test mid July, high temperature, runny nose & severe breathing issues. 12 weeks on still get out of breath quickly, aching chest/ribs, taste/smell poor (barely smell the coffee pot) & always tired. I've just been referred for ECG, Blood count & long covid clinic. Dr has suggested excercising as much as i feel able to speed up recovery.:bicycle:

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
There seems to be a fairly clear correlation between people who got very ill with Covid before the jab and those who then had a bad reaction to the jab itself. Conversely, if the jab gave you no side-effects at all, chances are that Covid wouldn't have done much to you either. It's logical, really. The problem is that you don't know in advance which group you fall into!

Last edited:

keithmac

Guru
I'm double jabbed and came down with it on Thursday, apart from a headache for 12hrs and loss of taste I'm fine.

Didn't have any bother with either jab (Pfizer for me).

It was always on the cards, luckily we're not as busy as usual at work as I'm now housebound..

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
We went for a few day to a remote house in Hereford. All four of us came back with The Plague, almost certainly caught from one of us who came from London with it. We were all double vaccinated. It changed my ideas about "being out of the tunnel".

Wear a mask, FFS.

The benefit of face masks is almost entirely to other people, it captures most or all of the viruses being emitted from the nose or mouth when you cough or sneeze plus even if some viruses get through to another person by reducing the viral load that person's immune system has more time to adapt and the symptoms can be less serious. At the beginning when doctors and nurses were dying at a far greater number than the general population it was because their exposure or viral load was far higher and more frequent than typical which was just one viral encounter.

Unfortunately its really those wearing face masks who are saving those who don't. As someone who has been in hospital 4 times with covid and has only really got decent lung functionality back about 6 to 8 weeks ago I wear a face mask because I don't wish this on others. I feel after having the virus and 2 vaccines I'm fairly safe from severe infection now. The issue was my body couldn't create anti-bodies so my body damaged my lungs fighting the infection by destroying the cells that contained the virus. Now I can create anti-bodies.

Don't forget Vitamin D and Zinc, these can massively reinforce your immune system against Covid. We are now moving into winter when the body is likely to be Vitamin D deficient and much more vulnerable to covid.

Top Bottom