Dragon fly incident.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Yesterday whilst doing a fast descent what looked a dragon fly smashed into my face just above the eyebrow - it made like a cracking noise as it hit me.

Got home about an hour later - no obvious injury - but after a shower etc a couple of hours later it started to swell - and this morning there is a lot of swelling around the eye.

Went to a+e - which wasn't the most confidence inspiring episode to be honest - she reckoned it was a sting gave me anti biotics and told me to take anti histamines - which I will do.

But my feeling is this is an impact injury not a bite or infection ...

Any thoughts.

vickster

Legendary Member
Ice it and see how it is next week. Clearly if it gets worse, go back

Last edited:

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
I was on an outdoor ride last weekend for about 5h - lost count of how many substantial-size insects smacked my glasses. Oversized glasses, one of the best purchases I made.

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
I was on an outdoor ride last weekend for about 5h - lost count of how many substantial-size insects smacked my glasses. Oversized glasses, one of the best purchases I made.

Yes I have those.

Fair play to the dragon fly 5mm either way he would have hit my glasses or my helmet ! Some accurate directional system he had !!!!

Throw a stone in the air and let it hit your forehead you'll get a swelling. Even softer bodies can hurt too. Could it have bitten you as you squished it with your head?

PS do not try the stone thing. As a kid I did it to someone by accident and she got really hurt. Egg lasted over a week. If you want I try that not on me.

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
PXL_20220603_092422436.PORTRAIT.jpg

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
It's always hard to tell what you hit at speed isn't it, and it could well be a sting, especially given that the swelling has gone around the eye. I'd not expect an impact with a non stinging insect to swell away from the immediate impact site.

I hit something big a couple of summers ago, I saw a cloud of big black insects ahead, I was doing high 20s mph so the next thing I know I'm through them, one bounced off my helmet with a crack sound and another hit my bicep, it was like getting flicked with a steel ruler! A proper "thwack"! About 5 minutes later there was a red welt on the bicep which I'd expected, but also my hand became really numb, a good foot and a half from the impact. I'm guessing it was a bee sting.
Ice it as Vick says, that'll help.

Reactions: C R

vickster

Legendary Member
Looks like it could be infected, take all the ABs as directed

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
Throw a stone in the air and let it hit your forehead you'll get a swelling. Even softer bodies can hurt too. Could it have bitten you as you squished it with your head?

PS do not try the stone thing. As a kid I did it to someone by accident and she got really hurt. Egg lasted over a week. If you want I try that not on me.

Do dragon flys bite / sting ?

Top Bottom