Dragon fly incident.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Well if you turn an iridescent green, sprout beautifully fine wings and start flying around very quickly any time soon...

But will you be a superhero or super villain? And why is superhero one word and super villain two?
DC Thompson trademarked "Super Hero" nearly a 100 years ago.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
OP can no longer respond.

mg-return-fly-03.jpg

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Quick Google and they weigh 600mg to 1g so not sure about impact damage? Might have some bits in your eye, is it red?
Think again... You know those dire warnings about what would happen to a spacecraft if a tiny piece of space debris hit it, or the Earth if a 1 km wide asteroid collided with the planet? :whistle:

The amount of damage caused by an impact is proportional to the momentum (D'oh!) KINETIC ENERGY of the colliding object, calculated as (m * v * v) / 2. Let's say that the closing speed of the dragonfly was 80 kmph (50 mph). A 1 g insect hitting you at that speed would be roughly equivalent to a 25 g monster bug splatting into your face at 16 kmph (10 mph). No thanks! :laugh:

As I mentioned in my post above, my friend was hurt by a bluebottle hitting his face. I saw him the next day and he had a massive black eye and severe bruising to that side of his face.

Last edited:
Reactions: C R

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Think again... You know those dire warnings about what would happen to a spacecraft if a tiny piece of space debris hit it, or the Earth if a 1 km wide asteroid collided with the planet? :whistle:

The amount of damage caused by an impact is proportional to the momentum of the colliding object, calculated as (m * v * v) / 2. Let's say that the closing speed of the dragonfly was 80 kmph (50 mph). A 1 g insect hitting you at that speed would be roughly equivalent to a 25 g monster bug splatting into your face at 16 kmph (10 mph). No thanks! :laugh:

As I mentioned in my post above, my friend was hurt by a bluebottle hitting his face. I saw him the next day and he had a massive black eye and severe bruising to that side of his face.

That’s kinetic energy not momentum

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
This is how it started for Jeff Goldblum

Whoever named them had clearly never seen a dragon.

EDIT: I just looked up why they're called that "the Romanian word for Devil was “drac,” but that drac was also the Romanian word for dragon. He thought that eventually the Romanian name for the Devil's Fly was erroneously translated to the English Dragon Fly and this eventually evolved into the “dragonfly!”"

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Yesterday whilst doing a fast descent what looked a dragon fly smashed into my face just above the eyebrow - it made like a cracking noise as it hit me.

Got home about an hour later - no obvious injury - but after a shower etc a couple of hours later it started to swell - and this morning there is a lot of swelling around the eye.

Went to a+e - which wasn't the most confidence inspiring episode to be honest - she reckoned it was a sting gave me anti biotics and told me to take anti histamines - which I will do.

But my feeling is this is an impact injury not a bite or infection ...

Any thoughts.

Get your affairs in order. I can help look after your bikes if that puts your mind at rest....

Gillstay

Über Member
Just be glad it was not a queen hornet, saw a huge one the other day. Quite fantastic, but glad it showed no interest in me.

Top Bottom