Drago's murder deathkill slaughter annihilation massacre beserker lunacy snow, ice and winteryness thread 2021/22

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Smash the cistern
I used to work with a Norwegian who thought our end of the world approach to a few inches of snow was hysterically funny.
I used to work with someone from a hot country (can't remember which) who had heard that we had snow here and was excited that he might see some. In July.

That year it did indeed snow. In July.

I met people from cold countries who think we're mad the way we treat winter. I mean no change over to winter tyres in October? They understood why we shut down every time there's a inch of snow here.

I've met people used to south American humid tropical heat. They are surprised at how we complain when it hits 30 degrees. I mean, where's your air conditioning? Mind you 30 degrees dry isn't as bad as 37 degrees humid heat they were used to, Colombia BTW a lovely country from what I've heard.

So how many abandoned cars in your area? If you've seen snow there has to be a few abandoned already!

winjim

Smash the cistern
I met people from cold countries who think we're mad the way we treat winter. I mean no change over to winter tyres in October? They understood why we shut down every time there's a inch of snow here.

I've met people used to south American humid tropical heat. They are surprised at how we complain when it hits 30 degrees. I mean, where's your air conditioning? Mind you 30 degrees dry isn't as bad as 37 degrees humid heat they were used to, Colombia BTW a lovely country from what I've heard.

So how many abandoned cars in your area? If you've seen snow there has to be a few abandoned already!
Round here as soon as there's snow all the drivers seem to drop down to first gear and rev the shoot out of the engine. Skidding and sliding all over the place. This is not how you drive in snow.

Saw a mandatory mz5 driver do that about 10 years ago when we last had serious snow. Was in ambleside centre going up a slight hill. Passers-by ended up pushing the back end to stop it snaking. How they didn't get run over by the back end I don't know. Took us 3 hours to drive from Grasmere where we had to dig our car out to just north of Lancaster. Going over the hills between windermere and kendal plus the bypass we saw man cars and 4x4s ditched in the troughs between the hills. Pathetic drivers! We got our skinny tyres on our astra over everything with barely any issues. Summer tyres too! Only scary bit was m6 in whiteout blizzard with big audi suv drivers doing 70 in the snow covered outside lane like there was no snow and they could see further than a few metres. I caught up to a truck and I was within thinking distance before I saw its lights! Very dangerous with any vehicle.

Gunk

Guru
Pull away at maximum revs dropping the clutch violently

I used to work with a Norwegian who thought our end of the world approach to a few inches of snow was hysterically funny.
Likewise
We had a Registrar, a few years ago, who was Canadian
His father was pretty high up in a shipping company, so the family alternated between Canada & the Baltic states

His mirth at our attitude to it was similar
To him, a snowdrift wasn’t a few inches, it was when the car was buried till Sping

A blizzard was when he couldn’t his own hands!!!

Last edited:

DRM

Guru
Pull away at maximum revs dropping the clutch violently
What doesn't help are those electronic parking brakes that are applied by pressing a button, and release by revving the engine a bit and releasing the clutch pedal, as they don't allow you to use the bare minimum of rev's and gentle use of the clutch pedal to get going, a system beloved of Renault & Citroen, I think some Audi's have it too

stephec

Legendary Member
What doesn't help are those electronic parking brakes that are applied by pressing a button, and release by revving the engine a bit and releasing the clutch pedal, as they don't allow you to use the bare minimum of rev's and gentle use of the clutch pedal to get going, a system beloved of Renault & Citroen, I think some Audi's have it too
They seem to becoming a lot more common in all makes nowadays, the one in my Mondeo can be released manually as well though by pressing the button so that it's like releasing a mechanical handbrake.

Reactions: DRM

Gunk

Guru

Very true, my 2015 Golf GTD DSG is utterly useless in snow and ice

Last edited:
Reactions: DRM
Top Bottom