Drago's murder deathkill slaughter massacre panic petrol buying watch!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
there was an interesting interview on BBC News channel with a down to earth credible sounding woman from a haulage firm (been in the business for a few generations and she still drives sometimes) explaining the reasons for the shortage - a lot to do with how poorly drivers are treated - doubtless it will be run several times through the day.
Excuse the length of this cut and paste but explains the gist of what drivers experience sadly.

So you are running out of food on the shelves, fuel in the garages, you can’t buy things you need, because the shops can’t get their supplies.
Why is that?
A shortage of goods? No
A shortage of money? No
A shortage of drivers to deliver the goods? Well, sort of.
There isn’t actually a shortage of drivers, what we have, is a shortage of people who can drive, that are willing to drive any more. You might wonder why that is. I can’t answer for all drivers, but I can give you the reason I no longer drive. Driving was something I always yearned to do as a young boy, and as soon as I could, I managed to get my driving licence, I even joined the army to get my HGV licence faster, I held my licence at the age of 17. It was all I ever wanted to do, drive trucks, I had that vision of being a knight of the roads, bringing the goods to everyone, providing a service everyone needed. What I didn’t take into account was the absolute abuse my profession would get over the years.
I have seen a massive decline in the respect this trade has, first, it was the erosion of truck parking and transport café’s, then it was the massive increase in restricting where I could stop, timed weight limits in just about every city and town, but not all the time, you can get there to do your delivery, but you can’t stay there, nobody wants an empty truck, nobody wants you there once they have what they did want.
Compare France to the UK. I can park in nearly every town or village, they have marked truck parking bays, and somewhere nearby, will be a small routier, where I can get a meal and a shower, the locals respect me, and have no problems with me or my truck being there for the night.
Go out onto the motorway services, and I can park for no cost, go into the service area, and get a shower for a minimal cost, and have freshly cooked food, I even get to jump the queues, because others know that my time is limited, and respect I am there because it is my job. Add to that, I even get a 20% discount of all I purchase. Compare that to the UK £25-£40 just to park overnight, dirty showers, and expensive, dried (under heat lamps) food that is overpriced, and I have no choice but to park there, because you don’t want me in your towns and cities.
Ask yourself how you would feel, if doing your job actually cost you money at the end of the day, just so you could rest.
But that isn’t the half of it. Not only have we been rejected from our towns and cities, but we have also suffered massive pay cuts, because of the influx of foreign drivers willing to work for a wage that is high where they come from, companies eagerly recruited from the eastern bloc, who can blame them, why pay good money when you can get cheap labour, and a never ending supply of it as well. Never mind that their own countries would suffer from a shortage themselves, that was never our problem, they could always get people from further afield if they needed drivers.
We were once seen as knights of the road, now we are seen as the lepers of society. Why would anyone want to go back to that?
If you are worried about not getting supplies on your supermarket shelves, ask your local council just how well they cater for trucks in your district.
I know Canterbury has the grand total of zero truck parking facilities, but does have a lot of restrictions, making it difficult for trucks to stop anywhere.
Do you want me to go back to driving trucks? Give me a good reason to do so. Give anyone a good reason to take it up as a profession.
Perhaps once you work out why you can’t, you will understand why your shelves are not as full as they could be.
I tried it for over 30 years, but will never go back, you just couldn't pay me enough.
Thank you to all those people who have shared this post. I never expected such a massive response, but am glad that this message is getting out there. I really hope that some people who are in a position to change just how bad it is for some drivers, can influence the powers that be to make changes for the better. Perhaps some city and town councillors have seen this, and are willing to bring up these issues at their council meetings. It surely cannot be too much to ask of a town/city to provide facilities for those who are doing so much to make sure their economies run and their shops and businesses are stocked with supplies. I never wanted any luxuries, just somewhere safe to park, and some basic ablutions that are maintained to a reasonable standard. I spent my nights away from my home and family for you, how much is it to ask that you at least give me access to some basic services.
There are tens, maybe hundreds of thousands of licence holders just like me, who will no longer tolerate the conditions. So the ball is firmly in the court of the councils to solve this problem.

I went to Tesco via Texaco. More cars that usual, but no problem. Went shopping. Went to Morrisons. Marshalls on the forecourt dealing with the numbers. Back past Texaco: queues tailing back far enough to begin causing gridlock at one end of town.
Crazy.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Mo has it. There is no actual shortage of drivers. There are 600,000 truck licence holders of work age in the UK.

So why do only 300,000 want to actually drive trucks?

Anyway, back to the petrol stations. Mrs D has just arrived home and tells me her work colleagues have been giving each other the nudge to go and fuel up becuse of the panic buying. So these are teachers, people of presumably readonable intelligence, and they think the suitable response to panic buying is to do some panic buying of their own.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Like many, the car is an absolute neccessity for me, i work 14 miles from home.
i commuted by bike 15 miles each way before the lockdowns and i now work from home....so 14 miles is no excuse lol

Last edited:
But from a purely self-interested perspective, it is an entirely rational response.
<like> + <sad>

Reactions: C R
thanks for that @Mo1959 where did you cut it from?
very pertinent, tho some of the amateur politicos wanting their cheap deliveries might not like to hear it.
By the by it refers to transport caffs - have wondered now and again why there seem to be less around - i used to use them now and again on my car trips round backroads.
Seems to me there is a business opportunity for a budget chain of these things with accommodation - not sure why not? planning issues?

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I filled up last Monday and have done 50 miles since then but that was a shopping trip to Oban so got enough food to do me for a while. According the the car computer I should have at least 500 miles before I begin to panic. At my present rate of consumption that should do me for a couple of months.
The car racing here will make a dent in supplies as they are no longer allowed to bring their own fuel with them as many did in the past. The last time they tried it they were not allowed on the ferry until they dumped it. The port staff are wise to all the dodges and can and do sometimes check cars for fuel cans.

Big tomatoe consumer here - I was most put out when there wasn't much to buy.:laugh:
small cherry and plum tomatoes from markets can be frozen for later use - you can't turn them into "fresh" as their fibre collapses when thawed - but ideal for use in rustled-up sauce recipes - better than fresh - as they are frozen you can easily slice them without the juice sloshing out - then just chuck in the pan. I often get bags of them cheap from peckham street markets etc.

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
Anyway, back to the petrol stations. Mrs D has just arrived home and tells me her work colleagues have been giving each other the nudge to go and fuel up because of the panic buying. So these are teachers, people of presumably reasonable intelligence, and they think the suitable response to panic buying is to do some panic buying of their own.

I think it's a bit more nuanced then that. Clearly if you're dribbling in two litres daily you're part of the problem.

I'm normally happy to play fuel light bingo and fill my work car, a Fabia Estate, when it's nearly dry. Now it's at around 1/3 tank, enough for nearly a week unless something out of the ordinary crops up. I'm inclined to fill it ASAP and, while this stuff is ongoing, not let it fall below 50%.

And I can work at home; I'm not a teacher expected to be in front of a class.

Reactions: C R
Top Bottom