Drago's murder deathkill slaughter massacre panic petrol buying watch!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DRM

Guru
So you know how much they are paying for it? (And their other costs)

If not, then you have no idea whether it is "profiteering".
Seeing as the BP Station 20 miles away, near me is 147.9p per litre, and it's no harder to get to for deliveries, and it's also BP then I'd say yes, it's profiteering, as the area is thought to be better off.

Alex321

Veteran
Seeing as the BP Station 20 miles away, near me is 147.9p per litre, and it's no harder to get to for deliveries, and it's also BP then I'd say yes, it's profiteering, as the area is thought to be better off.
So you don't actually have a clue, you have just decided they are profiteering, while knowing nothing whatsoever about their costs.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
True. BP forecourts have far more expenses than Tesco or Asda. Hell, those dred out bunches of flowers, barbecue kits and bundles of kindling don't come cheap.

If anything, expenses should be less for BP as they are a fuel producer and distributor themselves, whereas the likes of Tesco hav customer status and are a stage further down the chain.

As you know, as a product moves from producer to importer tomdistrobutor to wholesaler to retailer there is a rise in price as each level as the people involved take their percentage. BP are well and truly first jn thes series, while Tesco are last and have the consequently higher overheads... yet still get the product to market cheaper than Tesco.

So instead of blindly casting doubt upon the word of Brother DRM, perhals you could instead actually explain how BP somehow have greater expenses than the cheaper retailers such as the supermarkets?

Reactions: DRM
Another engine :whistle: I give up. Three engines in the garage. New one is currently in the car but his original starter motor not working.

It's because he's had it tuned. Too much fuel this time. Snapped valve and destroyed piston. My car is 20 year old and over 140,000 and hasn't fell to bits.

Well, I ain't letting him near either of mine, that's for sure... Bonkers... :wacko:

All we need to do to convert the whole country to cycling is to make it compulsory to let son of @fossyant drive each car for a bit. How long could it take? ;)

With a right foot like that? Less than you'd think.

Although he's still going nowhere near my Mini...

Nah, Asda's on the far side of town on a junction prone to collisions. My time and neck are worth more than any saving going there much!
To be fair - no idea what YOUR Asda is selling at. There is a website that'll tell you the lowest prices in the area but it won't account for dodgy junctions.

I think it's something like Petrolprices.co.uk.

Stephenite

Membå
The past few months I've been trying to avoid filling up the Passat whilst the prices have been at (pound equivalent) £1.70 per litre petrol. I've been putting in enough fuel for the week and running on 'empty' for a day or two. Tonight, on the way home from the boy's swimming class we came across somewhere selling at £1.38/l petrol so i put 55 litres in.

Here in Norway fuel is cheaper on sundays. Is it the same where you live?

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
The past few months I've been trying to avoid filling up the Passat whilst the prices have been at (pound equivalent) £1.70 per litre petrol. I've been putting in enough fuel for the week and running on 'empty' for a day or two. Tonight, on the way home from the boy's swimming class we came across somewhere selling at £1.38/l petrol so i put 55 litres in.

Here in Norway fuel is cheaper on sundays. Is it the same where you live?
Thankfully no. If it was, the roads leading up to the 'petrol stations' would be gridlocked on Sundays. 🧐

Alex321

Veteran
True. BP forecourts have far more expenses than Tesco or Asda. Hell, those dred out bunches of flowers, barbecue kits and bundles of kindling don't come cheap.

If anything, expenses should be less for BP as they are a fuel producer and distributor themselves, whereas the likes of Tesco hav customer status and are a stage further down the chain.

As you know, as a product moves from producer to importer tomdistrobutor to wholesaler to retailer there is a rise in price as each level as the people involved take their percentage. BP are well and truly first jn thes series, while Tesco are last and have the consequently higher overheads... yet still get the product to market cheaper than Tesco.

So instead of blindly casting doubt upon the word of Brother DRM, perhals you could instead actually explain how BP somehow have greater expenses than the cheaper retailers such as the supermarkets?
The supermarkets have always done cheap fuel as a loss-leader.

They don't make much profit on fuel, and don't need to, as it is very much not their main business.

And BP fuel stations are not owned by BP, they are franchises. It is the franchisee who pays rent on the property, pays council tax/business rates, pays the staff, and all other costs. They pay BP the wholesale rate for the fuel, almost certainly a very similar rate to what Tesco et al pay for their fuel. But their costs outside the wholesale cost of the fuel vary wildly, and all have to be amortised into the price they sell for, plus any additional business they do through the shop.

I am not saying DRM is necessarily wrong, I am saying he just doesn't know, but is making a flat out statement that they are profiteering.

[EDIT]
I just discovered that most "BP" sites aren't even franchises, but are independently owned. Only about 300 are franchises, while 950 are independently owned.
https://www.what-franchise.com/franchise-opportunities/car-wash-franchises/bp

Last edited:

Mike_P

Guru
Probably also explains the about of rebranding, the two BP stations near me are now a Co-op and an Esso. Esso now have the Nectar tie in BP had and I do wonder if that explains some of the pricing, put up the amount of the Nectar reward.

Top Bottom