Drago's snow watch alert stand by readiness defcon 1 action stations code red reporting photo thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Just been out for a play in the snow:

DSC0005921.jpg

DSC0005925.jpg

DSC0005927.jpg

Struggled with the conditions even with snow tyres on and had to get off and push in a few places. Stopped to help push someone who had got properly stuck - no choice for them but to turn round and head home.

A difficult day for travel.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
My youngest daughter is an NHS Worker (not a high flyer, but, one of the lowly essentials). She starts work at 7:00am, in a hospital approximately 8 miles from where she lives, and travels by public transport. She has to leave her home at 06:00am, walk a mile, then, take the metro to work. She has made it to work, on time, every one of the last four days of "amber warning" snow. I am rather proud of her, maybe I should tell her that?

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
When I was in the Policemasons we'd get folk, usually civilian staff, phone in complaining they couldn't get to work because of 2 inches of snow. Many lived within a mile or two of their workplace, so we told them to get their arrisses in to work, pronto, and without fail they always managed to.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Going out for a walk soon, but certainly not taking the car out. I think your journey to work is still blocked, stay safe.
The road has opened now but our PCSO chap said not to risk the road in a 20 year old Micra with no traction control etc. I took his advice as he said he doubted that I would get back, with the wind pushing the snow.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Having no TC and ABS in the snow is a good thing!

Ventured into town for my elderly neighbours. The Pension Book Special on Finnish snow boots did a lot better than the Range Rover Vogue, presumably on road boots, that tried and failed to follow me.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Ooh, nasty!

Judging by the exuberant speed of some of the ones who go round the village, I think gritter drivers sometimes forget that they are driving on roads that haven't been gritted yet.

D

Deleted member 1258

Metro = Light Railway, the clue was in the term “public transport”. Mind you, being as we in Geordie land, the Metro is powered by children, in rags, pulling it along with ropes. ;)

There used to be a car called a Metro and there are still on or two of them about.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
[QUOTE 5168914, member: 45"]You're better off in a little car like that, especially if it doesn't have particularly wide tyres. There are idiots charging around here in 4x4s with low profiles on, not realising that there's a thing called momentum.[/QUOTE]
Same here (and everywhere else too I would imagine) they seem to think that a badge that says 4x4 means that all traces of snow and ice are magically cleared from the roads for them.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
The proper fourbies with diff locking, or electronically simulated diff locking, usually do fine. Its the drivers of the AWD versions of Kuga's, Gashqais and X3's etc that have all the disadvantages of road tyres and the extra weight of a largely useless drive train you need to steer clear of. Unfortunately, they're often then ones who think their pretend SUV makes them invincibubble.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
My youngest daughter is an NHS Worker (not a high flyer, but, one of the lowly essentials). She starts work at 7:00am, in a hospital approximately 8 miles from where she lives, and travels by public transport. She has to leave her home at 06:00am, walk a mile, then, take the metro to work. She has made it to work, on time, every one of the last four days of "amber warning" snow. I am rather proud of her, maybe I should tell her that?
Our place expects you to turn up on time , we are only making cars FFS.Last night they reduced the target build as the lorries taking them away couldn't get off the yard.
Fun thing is tonight we could get up to 2 hours overtime to catch the "inventory " back.

Top Bottom