Dream Tour: If you were given time off with all the gear / expenses paid for - where would you go?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KneesUp

Guru
I think in the dream 'travelling' scenario I'd still have family, but I would like to take my kid on a cycling tour of Europe - so head up to Scotland, down to Liverpool, across to Ireland, round Ireland, cross to Holyhead, round Wales, across to Kent, sail to France, and then follow the coast anti-clockwise until time ran out. I'd be on my own after the first five miles, but you have to try :smile:

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Northwest USA - San Francisco to Seattle, or something like that...

Vancouver to San Diego is a dream I have at present...

Slightly more ambitious than me! ^_^

I'd like to cycle the coast roads all the way round New Zealand then through the middle

You'll have to swim that bit! :smile:

iandg

Legendary Member
Harris, Outer Hebrides every time

Lived in Stornoway for 18 years and still haven't done a Barra to the Butt :blush:

About 10 years ago I had a long weekend free and thought I'd 'bag' Cape Wrath. Off the morning ferry at Ullapool and slogged through wind and rain to Durness only to find the road was closed 'cause the MOD/NATO were bombing the **** out of the place. So headed down to Carbisdale Castle the next day and back to Ullapool and the ferry home the day after.

Still haven't been back to try again :sad:

Last edited:

Simon_m

Guru
Gosh, that is so tough! I kinda did that 4yrs ago and did the TransAm, but hypothetically it is such a hard question to answer because of the different cycling environments. Around the world and with all the nice safe countries would be good, but I guess everyone would say that. Perhaps the Northern Tier across America this time, or maybe around Yellowstone again or down south to Yosemite would be amazing. Perhaps doing the whole Tour de France at a slow rate and shorter days over a longer period (did France C2C this year during Le Tour, amazing.).
Dunno. What is your ideal trip?

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
A grand tour of the Alps. France, Switzerland, Liechtenstein, Austria, Germany, Italy, Slovenia. Maximising the downhill stuff by throwing in the occasional train ride, but including a few iconic climbs. I'd have most of my kit sent on ahead of me each day.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Probably France, from the North to the South on a tandem with Mrs B at the rear, (provided I could break her arse in as it were :whistle:)..
a) She loves France, so I would be starting with brownie points.:thumbsup:
b) I know I'd be doing most of the work, but on separate bikes she is a lot slower than me.:smooch:
c) It would do her good not to be convenient for our offspring. :wahhey:

Top Bottom