Dream Tour: If you were given time off with all the gear / expenses paid for - where would you go?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
It has the arguable advantages of flatness and relative smallness, but I am sure there is something else drawing you there. May I ask what makes it a dream tour destination for you?
Well, I'd have to get there for a start, either on a Northerly route via Sweden & Finland (probs get a ferry from Stockholm to Turku, rather than going right round the Gulf of Finland) or a Southerly route via Germany & Poland, which would be interesting.

I have a great interest in the Finnish language, and Estonian is a very similar language, so without the constraints of money and time it would give me time to learn a bit of Estonian.

I've only been there once, on a day trip from Helsinki to Tallinn, and it sparked an interest, but I've never followed it up. So as @Shaun has kindly agreed to cover all my expenses it's too good an opportunity to miss!

And the small flat country would be ideal for my wife to join me for some less arduous rides.

Last edited:

iandg

Legendary Member
The U.K is very beautiful and unspoilt in places like the Hebrides, the only things that spoil it here are bad weather and scumbags.

I resemble that remark......... :sad:

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Bottom of Africa up through the middle East, winding across Russia and Siberia, Pedalo across the Baring Strait to Alaska, down the American continent, big pedalo onto Antarctica (may need the Marathon Winters on for this bit) a quick pootle with the penguins across there, more pedalo to Tasmania, visit friends for a wash and brush up, a detour to New Zealand, back to Australia, up the various Island groups above Australia, more pedalo for a quick poodle around Japan. Back to Europe through China, far east and Asia. Up through Europe to the top of Norway, Greenland via Svalbard and finish off with the best Northern Lights show the planet has ever put on before a quick reinvigorating dip in some hot Icelandic springs and home in time for tea.

Slick

Guru
..........and that one too ^_^
Where exactly?

I noticed on one of your posts you mentioned a failed attempt to get to the Butt Of Lewis, then a few days later my brother suggested the same run for us next year, Barra to the Butt Of Lewis. If an Islander couldn't make it, a land loving mainlanders is surely going to struggle.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Ireland, all 34 Counties. With an extra coastal trip for fun.
In an idle moment a few weeks ago I started plotting a route that does just this. I was trying to find the shortest route possible, which isn't what you'd actually want to do, but it's an OK starting point for a plan.

Whenever end-to-end is mentioned the country that comes to mind is Chile, finishing in Patagonia. I know next to nothing the place it so I don't know how practical it would be, but it definitely has my vote.

iandg

Legendary Member
Where exactly?

I noticed on one of your posts you mentioned a failed attempt to get to the Butt Of Lewis, then a few days later my brother suggested the same run for us next year, Barra to the Butt Of Lewis. If an Islander couldn't make it, a land loving mainlanders is surely going to struggle.
Not failed, I just haven't done it. I've done a GPS DIY SR series on Lewis/Harris, but in 18 years of living in Stornoway I still haven't cycled in the UIsts - embarassing really :sad:

Trickedem

Guru
I really fancy riding across America (The continent rather than the country). So flipping back and forth between Canada and the USA. I think East to West would be best. I was quite inspired by @redfalo and his epic ride across the USA with his Dad, however I am not sure that I would want to spend that long with any of my children.
I'm toying with the idea of actually doing this for my 60th in 2020.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I really fancy riding across America (The continent rather than the country). So flipping back and forth between Canada and the USA. I think East to West would be best. I was quite inspired by @redfalo and his epic ride across the USA with his Dad, however I am not sure that I would want to spend that long with any of my children.
I'm toying with the idea of actually doing this for my 60th in 2020.
Usually done the other way round, due to prevailing winds and weather fronts.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
I'd do a fairly short and fairly quick tour. From home, to the handily located ferry port and hence to Caen on the Litespeed. From there, down to Provence, where I would hire something light with disc brakes (thinking Cervelo C5 or Focus Izalco Disc, I'm sure the local bike shops would have something suitable) for an ascent of Ventoux. From there, back on the Litespeed, I would progress to Brno in the Czech Republic and to my third bike (sort of), a WAW velomobile, to be picked up from the makers and then ridden home. Thinking full carbon, Rohloff hub, triple crank. Fast, light (for the type of vehicle) and eminently suitable for touring (and tearing the legs off chain-gangs...). Litespeed gets sent home at this point, and average speed should pick up....West to the jewel that is Prague, then north to Berlin before making my way back to Le Havre via Brussels and Saint-Saens. Only 2500 miles or so...

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
@StuAff ... interesting ... I hadn't really appreciated that @Shaun was also offering to buy bikes for us too in the "all gear and expenses". I may have to have a think. I'm tempted to go by Brompton, so I'm sure I could cook up a very expensive spec for him to buy.

Top Bottom