Dream Tour: If you were given time off with all the gear / expenses paid for - where would you go?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Les Diagonales, at a leisurely pace.

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
Even if all expenses were paid I would still choose somewhere in Europe since we are lucky enough to have such diverse cultures and landscapes right on our doorstep.

My first dream tour would be along "El Camino" from the French border to Santiago de Compostela. But since all expenses are paid, then I wouldn't be staying in any infested hostels, instead I'd be staying at nice rustic hotels in nice rustic villages along the way where there's great food and wine. And since this is a dream tour, then there wouldn't be any schedule whatsoever, so if I found a village where the food and wine were particularly good then I'd stay there a whlle before moving on.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I'm not sure. Maybe start in Vienna, through Austria to the Bodensee, then drop down through the Alps to the Med, right up through France and northern Europe into Scandinavia and get as far North as possible. Then (since this is all imaginary) nip over to Scotland, ride across to the Hebrides and get a flight from Barra back home.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I'd start here, bimble west and south to visit the various relatives, then head southeast to the bike shuttle, head east, visit some places in Belgium, see a bit more of the Netherlands, cross into Germany and visit Emmerich, up to Copenhagen, around the coast to Rugen, then south via Berlin, Dresden, Bayreuth, Nuremberg, Munich, St Johann, and not sure where on the way to Rome, then across southern France to Perpignan, into Catalonia, along the coast and all the way round the peninsula before heading for Paris, then the avenue verte to London, then home. Then start thinking about the next trip ;)

In reality, I'll just keep grabbing bits of a week or less.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Being realistic, I'd like to start at Calais, head up along the coast through Belgium, into the Netherlands and then get the ferry back from the Hook and ride home from Harwich. I might try and do that next summer. A week should do it easily.

robjh

Legendary Member
Chile, north to south, maybe nipping across the Andes to Argentina.

Western China, maybe starting in Inner Mongolia, tracing the remoter parts of the Great Wall, then through the Tibetan borderlands down to Sichuan, perhaps finishing in Yunnan and lastly a few days in Hong Kong. Or other variants of this route, into Xinjiang or Tibet proper, or maybe get to Kashgar.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
more serious answer.

I would love to tour the UK, like every bit of it. I suspect I'd like to take a coast route around it and then somehow zig zag across, or into the inland parts.

And of course if time and money were no issue I would like to visit every country and state of the world. I'd be happy camping when camping was fun but would do most of it (for that read nearly all of it) on a luxury ticket. carrying nothing but a banana and a drink, stopping for lunches, teas and evening sleep overs in glorious or quirky hotels along the route.I'd want to take my time...like a lifetime, soaking up each local culture, learning about each way of life and opening my mind to all of the boundaries that I have most likely set up in my mind.

Perhaps the Americans really are not that bad after all. it would be awesome finding out, state by state.

that would be a good trip.

Top Bottom