Drink four pints of beer once a week and you will gain 10 pounds a year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LemonJuice

Check out this claim:

If you were to have 4 drinks just one time per week you’d pack on an additional 10 pounds of body fat per year.

https://doctordavidfriedman.com/blog/the-skinny-on-alcohol-how-to-drink-and-avoid-weight-gain

I don’t believe that for one second.

You can have four drinks in a day without going over your BMR, never mind any other calories that you have burned during the day.

You can quite easily do some form of exercise before drinking and easily burn off more calories than the calories in four pints of beer.

You can go for a walk for a couple of hours the next day, you can go for a bike ride tbe next day, you can eat less the next day, etc, etc.

Why do people post such rubbish?

Julia9054

Guru
It’s just an snappy, soundbitey way of saying that alcoholic drinks are more calorific than you might think, that is all.

OP
OP
L

LemonJuice

It’s just an snappy, soundbitey way of saying that alcoholic drinks are more calorific than you might think, that is all.

I think most people know that alcohol contains ‘empty calories’, but a cyclist or a non-cyclist can quite comfortably drink more than four pints once a week without ever putting on any weight, never mind ten pounds a year.

Loads of people drink more than four drinks and kebabs, pizzas, etc, once a week (typically on a weekend) and stay slim because they don’t do it every day and stay active every other day of the week.

sleuthey

Legendary Member
I don’t believe that for one second.

I do. 169 Calories in a pint X 4 Pints per week X 52 weeks per year = 35152 calories. There are 3500 calories in a pound of body fat, so 35152 / 3500 = 10. 04 pounds.

This obviously assumes that your weight is static before hand, you start drinking an additional 4 pints per week and no other variables change. This is NOT reality thus there will be objections to this claim.

Most of us sacrifice the calories elsewhere in our diet or burn it off through exercise without thinking about it and 4 pints per week is not a problem.

alicat

Legendary Member
:cheers::hungry: I inserted these two emojis and the app mysteriously added the one of the cyclist banging his head against a brick wall. I deleted it of course.

Brandane

Legendary Member
During my early working life, I spent 3 years at sea, then 2 years working in a pub. During that 5 years, and for a few subsequent years, I was, at a conservative estimate, drinking 5+ pints per DAY. I was still 10.5 stone into my mid 20's, at which point I started to calm the drinking down a bit. THAT was when I started to put weight on. These days I hardly drink at all, and struggle to keep my weight below 13.5 stone. So yes, my verdict would be that it is bollox.

Drago

Legendary Member
Drinking an additional 4 pints a week rarely goes with adding an extra two hours exercise a week.
Indeed, resulting in an overdeveloped right arm from lifting the weighty pi t glass to the lips many rimes.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
You can quite easily do some form of exercise before drinking and easily burn off more calories than the calories in four pints of beer.

You can go for a walk for a couple of hours the next day, you can go for a bike ride tbe next day, you can eat less the next day, etc, etc.
I think the implication here is that you don't organise your life around engineering a calorie deficit that you can then fill with alcohol.

The article itself seems to suggest that alcoholic drinks are calorific, (more than some people think) and that alcohol can lead to weight gain and other health problems such as fatty liver if not taken in moderation. All of which is pretty uncontroversial.

There's a saying "you can't outrun a bad diet". Weight control by consuming excess calories then attempting to burn them off through exercise is a losing battle. Best adopt a healthy diet in the first place.

As for eating less the next day: If you are skimping on food in order to enable higher alcohol consumption that doesn't sound terribly healthy at all to me. But I'm not a medical expert, and I don't drink alcohol so hey, I could be wrong.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I drink regularly but I'm still a 71kg 6 footer. I'd disappear if I gave beer up. I'm also pretty sure, though, that while I'm burning off the beer calories, I eat less, which is why I don't put weight on.

OP
OP
L

LemonJuice

It’s the same as the saying “everyone gains weight as he/she gets older”. It’s not true. It depends on many things. I know plenty of older people who are slimmer and in much better shape than people in their 20s or 30s.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
It’s the same as the saying “everyone gains weight as he/she gets older”. It’s not true. It depends on many things. I know plenty of older people who are slimmer and in much better shape than people in their 20s or 30s.
At 67 I am still the same weight as when I was 21. During my twenties I was a regular drinker and my weight never altered, though to be fair most of what I consumed went up against the wall the same night.

OP
OP
L

LemonJuice

I drink regularly but I'm still a 71kg 6 footer. I'd disappear if I gave beer up. I'm also pretty sure, though, that while I'm burning off the beer calories, I eat less, which is why I don't put weight on.

How many pints do you normally have when you go out for a drink?

OP
OP
L

LemonJuice

At 67 I am still the same weight as when I was 21. During my twenties I was a regular drinker and my weight never altered, though to be fair most of what I consumed went up against the wall the same night.

Exactly!

It’s not so much the alcohol that causes people to gain weight, but the amount of junk food they normally consume after they have finished drinking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom