Driver jailed for threatening horse and rider

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Well I'm happy about the prison sentence, but when the judge says...

"People who lose their temper and use their cars to threaten and intimidate, and where they cause fear and harm, must understand the consequences will be severe."

...before handing him a 12 month driving ban + retest is a bit hypocritical IMO.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
This is good news. There is a big difference in hitting someone in an accident and intentionally using your vehicle to run into someone, or in this case a horse and rider.

Numbnuts . The recent bus and bike incident proves your theory wrong.

Steve

Svendo

Guru
I may be misinformed, but i gather that the law takes the sort of view to Horses and Riders that we would like it to take towards cyclists, that is it generally comes down on their side. There are various possibilities as to why, that horses have been around a lot longer than cars and so the expectation has always been that cars should accommodate horses rather than vice versa. Also that judges historically have tended to be a bit posh and therefore riders themselves. Although bikes predate cars by a bit, and there was an early upper class craze for cycling, cycling didn't penetrate upperclass culture to the extent horse riding which was, and is, deeply embedded.
Horse riding friends do say that for all that's worth, they do suffer the same crap and inconsiderate to downright dangerous and vindictive driving as cyclists do. Selfish cockwombles do seem to at least not be discriminatory!

Gary E

Veteran
The thing is, drivers often give more room to horses simply because they're worried that if they do spook them they could do quite a lot of damage to their car.

Cyclists on the other hand are soft and squidgy :sad:

Globalti

Legendary Member
Jeeze, I once came flying down a hill on the mountain bike and there round a corner was a kid on a horse, which took fright and reared, throwing her off. She got a foot trapped in a stirrup and got dragged along hopping a bit by the horse until she got it under control. Luckily no damage was done and I apologised and made off smartish. Always took great care going down that lane after that.

Top Bottom