Driver tried to get me to crash into the back of his car.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Yes I learnt the hard way somebody trying to ram me with their car which I think was a direct result ofarm waning, I now try not to react but sometimes it's very difficult
Arm waving maybe not, but if you pass close enough to me to make me jump then you will get an audible reminder that I'm there, whether bell, horn or shout, depending which bike I'm using and how fast I reach the controls!

The driver should be reported for the aggressive undertake anyway, but doubly so for the road rage. If a teenager makes a Wacker signal at him while walking past, will he Mount the pavement and drive at them? Those who use motor vehicles as weapons must be removed from the roads before they do harm.

bpsmith

Veteran
Yes I learnt the hard way somebody trying to ram me with their car which I think was a direct result ofarm waning, I now try not to react but sometimes it's very difficult
I totally agree. Suppressing the urge is not easy at times.

I was there at the weekend! Stopped early for breakfast on my.way down to an SAR training course in Wokingham.

There was this one arse on a bicycle...
We know it wasn't you because we all know you drive one of these...

Speed-Box-Smart-Fortwo-Pink-1.jpg

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
The driving gave the rider no respect whatsoever, but the problems started after the shouting and gesturing. At this point, if the driver had resulted in injury to the rider, then it would be the drivers fault, but the rider could most definitely have avoided the scenario. Something to think about?
Agreed, I definitely allow myself to get annoyed much more on the bike than I do in the car. I think it's the nearness of death that a thoughtless (or sometimes needlessly malicious) act can bring. I'd get in to less arguments if I just allowed myself to accept that pointing out someone almost killed me has no functional benefit to me at all. Although I guess one time in fifty the myopic nobber does admit that they were in the wrong and will try better next time.

I guess if someone else was looking out for me by stopping other people trying to kill or maim me I'd not feel so great a need to point it out. If only there was some system that worked like that.

Origamist

Legendary Member
I totally agree. Suppressing the urge is not easy at times.

It's also a Catch 22, because if you do record something and want to take it further, if you behave like a stoic and don't go in for non-verbal gestures or a fearful shout, it will be used against you i.e. the manoeuver wasn't really that dangerous/life-threatening because you did not respond at the time so it could not have been that bad, blah, blah, blah!

Probably best just to squeal for the benefit of the camera mic...

Last edited:

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
Probably best just to squeal for the benefit of the camera mic...

It's OK, you can add that in post...

bpsmith

Veteran
Agreed, I definitely allow myself to get annoyed much more on the bike than I do in the car. I think it's the nearness of death that a thoughtless (or sometimes needlessly malicious) act can bring. I'd get in to less arguments if I just allowed myself to accept that pointing out someone almost killed me has no functional benefit to me at all. Although I guess one time in fifty the myopic nobber does admit that they were in the wrong and will try better next time.

I guess if someone else was looking out for me by stopping other people trying to kill or maim me I'd not feel so great a need to point it out. If only there was some system that worked like that.
I know from experience! My post was not from the moral high ground, but from seeing it from outside. :smile:

boydj

Legendary Member

The driving gave the rider no respect whatsoever, but the problems started after the shouting and gesturing. At this point, if the driver had resulted in injury to the rider, then it would be the drivers fault, but the rider could most definitely have avoided the scenario. Something to think about?

Wrong. The problem started when the driver bullied his way into the lane, giving the cyclist a fright, and the instinctive reaction from the cyclist is only to be expected. The driver clearly thinks might is right and not to be challenged.

bpsmith

Veteran
Wrong. The problem started when the driver bullied his way into the lane, giving the cyclist a fright, and the instinctive reaction from the cyclist is only to be expected. The driver clearly thinks might is right and not to be challenged.
I find your reply quite offensive, as there is no right or wrong, just opinion.

I can now make hand gestures and call you a prick, or I can smile and save myself the stress.

Which is going to provoke a reaction from you and further undue stress? Think about it.

The bit that stressed the rider was the brake testing. The original manoeuvre was wrong but dealt with by the rider. Which bit spoilt his ride and made him cycle off fast saying not to do anything as its on camera?

Top Bottom