Driver who killed cyclist is jailed for three years and nine months

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Just shocking.

Low Roller

The bottom line is that Margaret, his wife, and Katie his daughter no longer have a husband and a father who would have grown old with them. I feel deeply for them.

cd365

Guru
Could you not move it out of café and into wherever people moan about this stuff when you're at it?
What a horrid post. Someone died and you just think someone will moan. What is wrong with you?

The driver was so wracked with guilt and remorse he ignored the police and went on holiday to Egypt. It's funny how grief affects people.

Blurb

Über Member
For goodness sake!!
I don't normally post on these threads, but the fact the cyclist was doing his utmost to keep himself safe, on a segregated cycle path, bright clothing, helmet, and the sentencing of the wantonly reckless driver made me look up the CPS guidelines here -> http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/s_to_u/sentencing_manual/death_by_dangerous_driving/
Max sentencing is 14 years for the most aggravated cases. From what I can make out the driver would probably have been in the next level down and has a range of 4-7 years with a starting point of 5 years.
The sentence doesn't even reach the minimum!! He'll be out in less than 2 years. The family have a life sentence.
Let's hope the prosecution appeal the lenient sentencing.
RIP

Edit: All the examples given on the link have longer tariffs.

Drago

Legendary Member
The guys a class A chump. I drive an L200 and it steers like a supertanker and accelerates like a tortoise on beta blockers. Not the sort of vehicle you should take liberties with.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
A disgruntled and depressed man has just been jailed for 3 years for rampaging around the local waste disposal centre and destroying it - LINK. Ok, he did an awful lot of damage, but he had taken steps to stop anybody going in and getting hurt while he did it. It can't be right that somebody takes a life through criminally negligent driving and only gets about the same sentence!

Top Bottom