Drivers and mini roundabouts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

So, I'm waiting to pull out, and a car is coming from my right. Do I have to give way before they get onto the roundabout?
No
Or does the 'give way to the right' only apply to cars coming from your right that are already on the roundabout?
Yes

But you have to be brave to try it just incase the car driver has a different opinion, but they will have to cross a 'Give Way' to get to you.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
No
Yes

But you have to be brave to try it just incase the car driver has a different opinion, but they will have to cross a 'Give Way' to get to you.
That's what I thought it should be, but no-one on the main road used to act like it, even when I was trying to pull out in my car! It's easier on a large roundabout, but a mini-roundabout makes it more difficult.

OP
OP
NickNick

NickNick

No
Yes

Doesn't the highway code say something along the lines of give way to those already on the roundabout or approaching from the right?

OP
OP
NickNick

NickNick

@Spinney This is highway code regarding normal roundabouts:

Section 185 explains what you should do when you reach the roundabout. Again it is important to be aware of the traffic around you and look out for road users who may be signalling incorrectly or in some cases not signalling at all!

When reaching a roundabout you should:
  • Always give priority to the traffic coming from the right, unless you have been directed otherwise by signs, road markings or traffic lights
  • Check if the road markings allow you to proceed without giving way (always look right before joining just in case)
  • Watch out for other road users on the roundabout
  • Check the traffic has moved off in front of you before you proceed to enter the roundabout

Specific to mini roundabouts:

Section 188
This section of the Highway Code is all about mini-roundabouts. You should apply the same rules to approaching and entering mini-roundabouts as you would normal roundabouts. It is important to remember that all vehicles must pass round the central markings, unless they are too large to do so. You will find that when driving around mini-roundabouts there is less room to manoeuvre and less time to signal, so take extra care.

Highlighted the relevant bit, so priority should always (unless sign posted otherwise) go to those approaching from the right, not just those already on the roundabout.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Not sure I'd be as keen on cycling the swindon one though
It's smaller, so easier, or at least it would be if these flipping cars weren't in the way:
e=640x640&pano=hjGUkvfV6Pi1qiQ3KhrTgw&heading=13.237222000488494&fov=45.000000000000014&pitch=-4.jpg

Actually, you don't need to, as there's an orbital cycle track but it has toucans instead of zebras :rolleyes: so you might still prefer to.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
@Spinney This is highway code regarding normal roundabouts:

Specific to mini roundabouts:

Highlighted the relevant bit, so priority should always (unless sign posted otherwise) go to those approaching from the right, not just those already on the roundabout.

I read that, but 'coming from the right' could be open to interpretation. It clearly means coming from the right on the roundabout, but it wasn't clear to me that it means along the approach roads as well. I'm not the only one, as Phaeton's reply indicates. In practice, I do what you say anyway.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I have not encountered such a road construct in the UK, but, when driving in USA, I found they were reasonably common. Basically, they are a roundabout, without the roundabout structure. At the junction, each driver is expected to stop (or giveaway) to any vehicle on his/her left (remembering that our USA cousins drive on right).

In my limited driving experience in USA, they worked surprisingly well, but, how they would work with UK speeds and traffic volumes.. hmm... not sure about that.
If the sight lines are constrained (unlike a mini-roundabout where the highwaymen usually clear everything out so motorists go faster) and corner radius is tight, then people will slow down - the visual effect is like you're arriving at the minor arm of a T junction or crossroads, so people slow down, but it's the same from every direction. Yes, it's lower capacity than a mini-roundabout but it doesn't screw people walking and cycling quite as badly.

I'm sure I was shown a good one in Coventry but I can't remember exactly where. Norfolk's safety auditors think we haven't got any so I'm not revealing where they are, else they might push for them to be turned into mini-roundabouts, as they have done when they've been suggested/requested on new roads.

Bodhbh

Guru
I just assume now that I will have problems and don't trust any driver coming towards me. If I can sprint to the roundabout and get safely right before the oncoming vehicle arrives, I do that. If we will be arriving at the roundabout at the same time, I subtly slow down, trying not to hint that they are intimidating me not to turn but ready to stop if I have to. If they make me stop I shout 'Give way!' as they force their way past.

There's one on the commute I can't really avoid.* I hate it. Every evening this game of chicken...second guessing if they'll give way on the left like they should or if not, whether to be assertive, and plow on anyhow and force their hand.

* well it's 4 mile detour which looks less appealing this time of year.

mustang1

Guru
And another thing, when a roundabout is part of what used to be a t junction, the drivers still treat the straight part of the road as, well, a straight road. And if you come into the road from the "side" road, you get horned at. Wth? YOU are supposed to give ME way, that's what the damn broken lines mean, GIVE WAY.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
That still doesn't work though, 4 cars are all stopped at their appropriate line, they wait as many seconds as they want but when they check there will still be a car there.

Yes, but, they will be "smart" enough to "know" if other car is moving or not, plus, as another poster said, they may well be able to communicate with each other.

PK99

Legendary Member
That still doesn't work though, 4 cars are all stopped at their appropriate line, they wait as many seconds as they want but when they check there will still be a car there.

The Canadian system at town 4 way junctions is a compulsory stop line on each leg and first to arrive has priority on starting.

Seems to work remarkably well.

D

Deleted member 26715

The Canadian system at town 4 way junctions is a compulsory stop line on each leg and first to arrive has priority on starting.
Yes I agree, it's the use of the Give way rather than Stop which causes the confusion, if all roundabouts had Stop lines it would hopefully be resolved, but the knock on is having to stop if there are no other vehicles in the vicinity.

I cross one regularly in Brampton. If another vehicle is turning right across your path, he will not indicate, but wait until you are already half way across, then swerve diagonally across the roundabout at you, then start to indicate, so he get's to use his horn and look right and manly.
They're not roundabouts, they're idiot filters.

Top Bottom