1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Drivers and mini roundabouts

Discussion in 'Commuting' started by NickNick, 28 Nov 2017.

1. Phaeton

Phaeton Veteran

No
    Yes

But you have to be brave to try it just incase the car driver has a different opinion, but they will have to cross a 'Give Way' to get to you.

2. Spinney

Spinney Bimbleur extraordinaire Staff Member

That's what I thought it should be, but no-one on the main road used to act like it, even when I was trying to pull out in my car! It's easier on a large roundabout, but a mini-roundabout makes it more difficult.

3. OP
    OP
    NickNick

NickNick Well-Known Member

Doesn't the highway code say something along the lines of give way to those already on the roundabout or approaching from the right?

4. OP
    OP
    NickNick

NickNick Well-Known Member

@Spinney This is highway code regarding normal roundabouts:

Specific to mini roundabouts:

Highlighted the relevant bit, so priority should always (unless sign posted otherwise) go to those approaching from the right, not just those already on the roundabout.

5. mjr

mjr Wanting to Keep My EU Citizenship

It's smaller, so easier, or at least it would be if these flipping cars weren't in the way:
    e=640x640&pano=hjGUkvfV6Pi1qiQ3KhrTgw&heading=13.237222000488494&fov=45.000000000000014&pitch=-4.jpg

Actually, you don't need to, as there's an orbital cycle track but it has toucans instead of zebras :rolleyes: so you might still prefer to.

6. Spinney

Spinney Bimbleur extraordinaire Staff Member

I read that, but 'coming from the right' could be open to interpretation. It clearly means coming from the right on the roundabout, but it wasn't clear to me that it means along the approach roads as well. I'm not the only one, as Phaeton's reply indicates. In practice, I do what you say anyway.

7. Phaeton

Phaeton Veteran

8. mjr

mjr Wanting to Keep My EU Citizenship

If the sight lines are constrained (unlike a mini-roundabout where the highwaymen usually clear everything out so motorists go faster) and corner radius is tight, then people will slow down - the visual effect is like you're arriving at the minor arm of a T junction or crossroads, so people slow down, but it's the same from every direction. Yes, it's lower capacity than a mini-roundabout but it doesn't screw people walking and cycling quite as badly.

I'm sure I was shown a good one in Coventry but I can't remember exactly where. Norfolk's safety auditors think we haven't got any so I'm not revealing where they are, else they might push for them to be turned into mini-roundabouts, as they have done when they've been suggested/requested on new roads.

NickNick likes this.
  9. Bodhbh

Bodhbh Veteran

There's one on the commute I can't really avoid.* I hate it. Every evening this game of chicken...second guessing if they'll give way on the left like they should or if not, whether to be assertive, and plow on anyhow and force their hand.

* well it's 4 mile detour which looks less appealing this time of year.

NickNick likes this.
  10. mustang1

mustang1 Veteran

They have no clue and they get into a right twist when you plonk your horn at them.

Tin Pot likes this.
  11. mustang1

mustang1 Veteran

And another thing, when a roundabout is part of what used to be a t junction, the drivers still treat the straight part of the road as, well, a straight road. And if you come into the road from the "side" road, you get horned at. Wth? YOU are supposed to give ME way, that's what the damn broken lines mean, GIVE WAY.

classic33, NickNick and mjr like this.
  12. BoldonLad

BoldonLad Senior Member

Yes, but, they will be "smart" enough to "know" if other car is moving or not, plus, as another poster said, they may well be able to communicate with each other.

13. PK99

PK99 Guru

The Canadian system at town 4 way junctions is a compulsory stop line on each leg and first to arrive has priority on starting.

Seems to work remarkably well.

14. Phaeton

Phaeton Veteran

Yes I agree, it's the use of the Give way rather than Stop which causes the confusion, if all roundabouts had Stop lines it would hopefully be resolved, but the knock on is having to stop if there are no other vehicles in the vicinity.

PK99 likes this.
  15. Nigel-YZ1

Nigel-YZ1 Guru

I cross one regularly in Brampton. If another vehicle is turning right across your path, he will not indicate, but wait until you are already half way across, then swerve diagonally across the roundabout at you, then start to indicate, so he get's to use his horn and look right and manly.
    They're not roundabouts, they're idiot filters.

NorthernDave and NickNick like this.