1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Drivers and mini roundabouts

Discussion in 'Commuting' started by NickNick, 28 Nov 2017.

1. mjr

mjr Wanting to Keep My EU Citizenship

Only one? But Cambridgeshire, Northamptonshire and Lincolnshire are my three guesses for who you meant. :sad:

NickNick likes this.
  2. T4tomo

T4tomo Über Member

actually surprisingly fine to do on a bike, as the traffic through it is all going slow, and your visibility is good being sat on the bike, so as a bike you can easily slot into the gaps and make your way through.

dave r and NickNick like this.
  3. Randombiker9

Randombiker9 Active Member

When stuff like this happen drivers don't realise give way to veichles on the roundabout and to the right just like on a normal roundabout. but to be fair not all mini roundabout have a give way sign. So i think it would help if mini roundabout's have a give way sign but weirdly when i cycle to college and i have to get past two mini roundabouts and two big roundabouts. Most of the time drivers to give way. The only close call was on one day. i've had wasn't on a mini roundabout it was on a big roundabout and this is that i was going past a roundabout i signald saying i was staying on roundabout and this driver just pulled out luckily i braked in time and i just looked oddly at him (as he failed to give way. I just ignored him because i didn't want to get into an argument as a police car was waiting in a exit. <supriesed he didn't do/say anything to that driver.

Last edited: 7 Dec 2017
    NickNick likes this.
  4. Phaeton

Phaeton Veteran

24900188_1281995771906286_5068460644414719688_n.jpg

So who has right of way?

5. SkipdiverJohn

SkipdiverJohn Active Member

C has right of way because he is merely following the course of the road and not making a turn or crossing a carriageway. Once C has cleared the junction then A has right of way, B should only emerge when both sides of the road he wishes to join are clear.

6. dave r

dave r The Little Diesel

No one, C has priority but no one has right of way

Dogtrousers, PK99 and Milkfloat like this.
  7. Reiver

Reiver Whistling down the hills, tearing up the climbs

It's "C"s road but they would be a fool to assume "B" was going to give way or "A" was going to wait. (I might even wave "A" on if I was in the wagon, they're not likely to hold back far enough for the trailer))

NickNick likes this.
  8. SkipdiverJohn

SkipdiverJohn Active Member

Who has right of way and who needs to be given right of way for pragmatic reasons are two different things. If I was A and there were parked vehicles obstructing my side of the road just out of sight behind D, I would likely wave both B and D out so I could then swerve over to their side of the road to clear the obstruction. One of the differences between theory and real-life driving is sometimes you need to give way to someone who doesn't have it by right, for the sake of keeping the traffic flowing.

NickNick likes this.
  9. simongt

simongt Senior Member

And it was a bit nerve racking when my instructor for my Class 2 HGV licence made me drive round it in an 18 tonner - ! :rofl:

NickNick likes this.
  10. ColinJ

ColinJ Hillfinder General

I had a similar situation on my bike the other day except in my case the main road is the one that A, B, and D are on and C was emerging from the side road. I was where B is. I stopped and A and C stopped too. There was a bit of a stand-off but driver A waved me through while driver C was dithering so I took my opportunity, but kept a close eye on what C was doing just in case.

NickNick likes this.
  11. david k

david k Hi

Most seem to be used as a normal give way, the at they were before converted to a mini roundabout

I don't trust other drivers when I'm either driving or cycling

NickNick likes this.
  12. Crankarm

Crankarm Guru

I have had several run ins with dangerous drivers on mini roundabouts almost hitting me head on when I am indicating and turning right so I have right of way. Most cars seem to have been driven by chavs in Vauxhall Corsas, which seems to be the car of choice for chavs. On two occasions recently cars have failed to give way and I thought that this was it and I was going to be hit. Strangely I don't have so much of a problem on my bike at these roundabouts, but then this might be because my front Max D light is on full and on coming vehicles do give way and stop.

13. Tin Pot

Tin Pot Guru

The first guy to die.

14. Tin Pot

Tin Pot Guru

Miniroundabouts serve to remind us that the world is full of farkwits.

NickNick likes this.
  15. Inertia

Inertia I feel like I could... TAKE ON THE WORLD!!

There is a road near me that has been remarked in the same way the one in the illustration is. C used to be the give way road.

As it is now, as a cyclist approaching as C, Ive almost been taken out by B twice since it was changed. To B, unless he is paying attention, it looks like he has priority. Bloody dangerous.