Drivers and mini roundabouts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
What do you make of this, the infamous ‘Magic Roundabout ‘ in Hemel Hempstead. A series of mini roundabouts going round a big roundabout. Wouldn’t like to try it on a bike.

View attachment 385152
actually surprisingly fine to do on a bike, as the traffic through it is all going slow, and your visibility is good being sat on the bike, so as a bike you can easily slot into the gaps and make your way through.

Randombiker9

Is it just me or do a large number of drivers seem to not have a clue how to handle mini roundabouts. Almost go hit again this afternoon (got knocked onto a bonnet a month or so back on a normal roundabout which post a thread about), driver skidded to a halt and missed me by inches.

The exit to my right was clear so I cycled onto the roundabout coming off on the second exit, i.e. straightover, the driver to my left decided he shouldnt have to stop despite me being on the roundabout at this point so having priority. Between me picking my pace up (had been going at a normal pace, not too slow) and him slamming his brakes on he narrowly missed my back wheel.

I exited the roundabout, slowed to a stop and shoute wtf were you thinking, driver actually stopped but then had a go at me for not stopping!!! The mini roundabout is at junction of a busy mainish road (which he was on) intersected by a smaller road (which I was on) and he was obviously of the mind set that he was on the main road so I should have stopped for him. I pointed out to him it was a roundabout, I was both to his right and actually on the roundabout as he was approaching it, so it was clearly my priority. He then clearly realised he was in the wrong and backed down a bit, but instead of saying sorry he told me I should be greatfull that he stopped as most drivers would have driven off. Didn't really know how to respond to that one, so just told him to pay more attention next time.

I really don't get why so many drivers seem to get so confused by these mini roundabouts, they're ever so simple, you just need to give priority to your right!

When stuff like this happen drivers don't realise give way to veichles on the roundabout and to the right just like on a normal roundabout. but to be fair not all mini roundabout have a give way sign. So i think it would help if mini roundabout's have a give way sign but weirdly when i cycle to college and i have to get past two mini roundabouts and two big roundabouts. Most of the time drivers to give way. The only close call was on one day. i've had wasn't on a mini roundabout it was on a big roundabout and this is that i was going past a roundabout i signald saying i was staying on roundabout and this driver just pulled out luckily i braked in time and i just looked oddly at him (as he failed to give way. I just ignored him because i didn't want to get into an argument as a police car was waiting in a exit. <supriesed he didn't do/say anything to that driver.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 26715

24900188_1281995771906286_5068460644414719688_n.jpg

So who has right of way?

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
User9609 said:
. (I might even wave "A" on if I was in the wagon, they're not likely to hold back far enough for the trailer))
Who has right of way and who needs to be given right of way for pragmatic reasons are two different things. If I was A and there were parked vehicles obstructing my side of the road just out of sight behind D, I would likely wave both B and D out so I could then swerve over to their side of the road to clear the obstruction. One of the differences between theory and real-life driving is sometimes you need to give way to someone who doesn't have it by right, for the sake of keeping the traffic flowing.

simongt

Guru
hat do you make of this, the infamous ‘Magic Roundabout ‘ in Hemel Hempstead. A series of mini roundabouts going round a big roundabout. Wouldn’t like to try it on a bike.

c8dfc426-289c-4561-967b-08ba7dce1657-jpeg.jpg

And it was a bit nerve racking when my instructor for my Class 2 HGV licence made me drive round it in an 18 tonner - ! :rofl:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
View attachment 386292

So who has right of way?
I had a similar situation on my bike the other day except in my case the main road is the one that A, B, and D are on and C was emerging from the side road. I was where B is. I stopped and A and C stopped too. There was a bit of a stand-off but driver A waved me through while driver C was dithering so I took my opportunity, but kept a close eye on what C was doing just in case.

david k

Hi
Is it just me or do a large number of drivers seem to not have a clue how to handle mini roundabouts. Almost go hit again this afternoon (got knocked onto a bonnet a month or so back on a normal roundabout which post a thread about), driver skidded to a halt and missed me by inches.

The exit to my right was clear so I cycled onto the roundabout coming off on the second exit, i.e. straightover, the driver to my left decided he shouldnt have to stop despite me being on the roundabout at this point so having priority. Between me picking my pace up (had been going at a normal pace, not too slow) and him slamming his brakes on he narrowly missed my back wheel.

I exited the roundabout, slowed to a stop and shoute wtf were you thinking, driver actually stopped but then had a go at me for not stopping!!! The mini roundabout is at junction of a busy mainish road (which he was on) intersected by a smaller road (which I was on) and he was obviously of the mind set that he was on the main road so I should have stopped for him. I pointed out to him it was a roundabout, I was both to his right and actually on the roundabout as he was approaching it, so it was clearly my priority. He then clearly realised he was in the wrong and backed down a bit, but instead of saying sorry he told me I should be greatfull that he stopped as most drivers would have driven off. Didn't really know how to respond to that one, so just told him to pay more attention next time.

I really don't get why so many drivers seem to get so confused by these mini roundabouts, they're ever so simple, you just need to give priority to your right!

Most seem to be used as a normal give way, the at they were before converted to a mini roundabout

I don't trust other drivers when I'm either driving or cycling

Crankarm

Guru
I have had several run ins with dangerous drivers on mini roundabouts almost hitting me head on when I am indicating and turning right so I have right of way. Most cars seem to have been driven by chavs in Vauxhall Corsas, which seems to be the car of choice for chavs. On two occasions recently cars have failed to give way and I thought that this was it and I was going to be hit. Strangely I don't have so much of a problem on my bike at these roundabouts, but then this might be because my front Max D light is on full and on coming vehicles do give way and stop.

Inertia

I feel like I could... TAKE ON THE WORLD!!
View attachment 386292

So who has right of way?
There is a road near me that has been remarked in the same way the one in the illustration is. C used to be the give way road.

As it is now, as a cyclist approaching as C, Ive almost been taken out by B twice since it was changed. To B, unless he is paying attention, it looks like he has priority. Bloody dangerous.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
The mini-roundabout shown below is near where I live. The layout is such that drivers are positively encouraged to regard the view shown as a "straight across" option. But, the majority of traffic comes from the road on the right!

I always treat it with the utmost caution, either cycling, driving, or, riding my motor-scooter.

As a pedestrian, cyclist or driver, I always assume other road users / pedestrians may well do the least expected!

Top Bottom