1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Drivers and mini roundabouts

Discussion in 'Commuting' started by NickNick, 28 Nov 2017.

1. ColinJ

ColinJ Hillfinder General

I have just had a flashback to cycling along the Rossendale valley from Bacup towards Rawtenstall and coming to a mini-roundabout but not noticing it until I was almost hit by a car emerging from a side road to my right! :blush:

2. BoldonLad

BoldonLad Senior Member

What! a cyclist not noticing something, you must be mistaken, that cannot possibly be true ;)

Phaeton likes this.
  3. dave r

dave r The Little Diesel

This little beauty used to be on my commute, Its good that it was never busy. I dislike mini roundabouts, even in the car. As others have said, most drivers don't know how to use them.

2017-11-29-112006_1920x1080_scrot.jpg

https://goo.gl/maps/Vef9J6w95RK2

Bodhbh likes this.
  4. BoldonLad

BoldonLad Senior Member

Looks like a double mini, there is one of those at the edge of Newcastle Upon Tyne, (Gosforth), great for getting the blood pressure up! ;)

dave r likes this.
  5. dave r

dave r The Little Diesel

You've got it, luckely that one was never busy, I'd hate to have to use one like that which was busy

6. It'll be like those episodes of Star Trek when Captain Kirk defeats the evil supercomputer by posing an argument with the inevitable conclusion that it should destroy itself. Eventually smoke and sparks will start to come out of the driverless cars, Dr McCoy will make an episode-ending wisecrack, and Spock will raise one eyebrow.

mjr likes this.
  7. Profpointy

Profpointy Guru

Yes it does as bolton lad explains. The key is that each waits a random amount of time.before trying again. Ethernet works the same (milliseconds, rather than seconds). It's termed CDMA - collision detection multiple access. Mmm, might be a snag there

8. lazybloke

lazybloke Senior Member

I toured Guernsey by bike some years ago and saw lots of 'filter in turn' junctions. Seemed to work well.

Not sure how many exist on the mainland. The only one I know of is the ''squareabout' in Surrey, which must be 2 decades old but still causes the locals plenty of confusion about who has priority (clue: no-one).

The local police say it was introduced because of a high accident rate and was immediately very successful. I'm not seen stats to back this claim.

It's not perfect - there are too many inconsiderate drivers around.
    But on a good day.... it can almost bring a tear to the eye to see several drivers communicating and negotiating: No, you go first. I insist!

NickNick likes this.
  9. ColinJ

ColinJ Hillfinder General

I can't remember which other forum members I was riding with but one of them spotted the danger before I did and shouted to me to watch out. My mind wasn't on the job. I was thinking about where we were riding to and was on cyclist auto-pilot. I didn't know the road and the roundabout caught me out. My mistake ... Fortunately, for once the car driver was paying more attention than me! :whistle:

NickNick and dave r like this.
  10. YukonBoy

YukonBoy Veteran

I wonder how a motorist would react to a cyclist saying to them SMIDSY

BoldonLad and dave r like this.
  11. dave r

dave r The Little Diesel

Would wonder what you're on about

classic33 likes this.
  12. Phaeton

Phaeton Veteran

Still not convinced due to the physical aspect of it, CDMA can work as you say because it's millisecond based, let's assume we are in car1, we arrive at a junction, at exactly the same time car2 arrives to our left, car3 opposite & car4 to our right. All give away & are stopped, each decide that they all wait a random amount of time before they check whether they can move, but surely no matter what time they wait, each one will always have a vehicle to the right.

My solution would be that they need to be programmed to have a primary road set for each junction, so in the event of a tie this takes precedent.

13. BoldonLad

BoldonLad Senior Member

Precisely
    I suspect, in the end, this will be solved by the robot vehicles communicating with each other, but, sticking with the CDMA solution, each vehicle may still have a vehicle to its right, but, not a MOVING vehicle, so, the vehicle with the shortest random wait time, would "decide" to move off first.

Not saying that is how it will work, my software experience was in Accounting / Order Processing / Inventory Control, and, it is now ten years out of date.

Simply saying, IMHO, it is not an insoluble problem.

My prediction:

- Driverless vehicles will come
    - will they be 100% "safe", No

14. Colin_P

Colin_P Veteran

I think they would eventually crash, just like the Andromeda galaxy will eventually crash into the milky way.

My view on mini roundabouts is that they are top of the list of places where you should NOT try and prove a point. Being dead limits gloating oppo's.

On driverless cars; I'd take the oppotunity to have a lie in on the way to work. Fold the seat down or even get in the back, duvet. Sorted.

classic33 likes this.
  15. Apollonius

Apollonius Über Member

Might be a bit off-topic, but I feel a need to say something. Driving through a nearby residential village this morning strictly keeping to the 30 limit (I stick to speed limits when driving - it is just smug virtue-signalling, of course) and approaching a mini-roundabout at which I was taking a right fork, and signalling right. I was overtaken by a black Audi, who effectively went the wrong way round to pass me. He then sped off at 40-50mph.

My conclusion is that by sticking to the speed limits, I am at fault and causing normal drivers rage and frustration because they are unable to pass me. I believe there is a constabulary that feels the same way about cyclists...

NorthernDave likes this.