Dunkirk on Imax was brilliant!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Cowardice? Like when they slinked back out of A'stan with their tails between their legs?

OP
OP
PaulB

PaulB

Legendary Member
He told his troops to hold back giving the British more of a chance to evacuate. Many more might have been killed. Maybe he thought that would show him in s favourable light and we would be more likely to make peace, who knows.
I've read the French were not happy with the film as the sacrifice their troops made was downplayed. The Russians said it celebrated cowardice, conveniently forgetting they been duped into an alliance with Hitler and were in fact his ally at the time.
Hitler was more afraid of his military becoming more popular than he was when, due to the Methamphetamine they were taking, they'd steamrollered RIGHT through Europe at a far greater rate than he'd ever have dreamed of and so told them to stay put in case they went for Guderian and Rommel et al and he'd be overthrown.

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Hitler was more afraid of his military becoming more popular than he was when, due to the Methamphetamine they were taking, they'd steamrollered RIGHT through Europe at a far greater rate than he'd ever have dreamed of and so told them to stay put in case they went for Guderian and Rommel et al and overthrew him him.
That might also be due to the fact that the French were poorly led and badly equipped.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Hitler was more afraid of his military becoming more popular than he was when, due to the Methamphetamine they were taking, they'd steamrollered RIGHT through Europe at a far greater rate than he'd ever have dreamed of and so told them to stay put in case they went for Guderian and Rommel et al and overthrew him him.
That might also be due to the fact that the French were poorly led and badly equipped.

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
He told his troops to hold back giving the British more of a chance to evacuate. Many more might have been killed. Maybe he thought that would show him in s favourable light and we would be more likely to make peace, who knows.
I've read the French were not happy with the film as the sacrifice their troops made was downplayed. The Russians said it celebrated cowardice, conveniently forgetting they been duped into an alliance with Hitler and were in fact his ally at the time.
Interesting point. I've always wondered why the Nazis didn't make any great haste to Dunkirk.

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
Just back from the IMAX in Bradford where we watched Dunkirk. I read a review yesterday saying if you're going to watch it, you should choose the biggest screen possible to enhance the experience and if possible, an IMAX one so that's what we did. 10.45 showing so we have the avvo to ourselves and we watched a truly epic film in the best possible setting. I'd recommend it to anyone (unless of course Mistra Know-it-All comes back to inform us ignorami just what's wrong with it!)
Going to see this next week hopefully

DRM

Guru
There was a documentary on tv about the evacuation, told the story of two soldiers who were left behind & managed to get to Jersey & catch the ferry home

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
There were a number of reasons the Germans couldn't finish the job at Dunkirk.

1) Their tanks were seriously knackered, out of fuel and had no ammunition. The supply chain was horse drawn and couldn't keep up.
2) The British & French were, for once, in prepared defensive positions with all their armour and anti-tank guns concentrated to the point that a German attack would have been easily fended off.
3) The risk of massive casualties and an assurance from Goering that the Luftwaffe could keep the RN at bay and decimate the surrounded troops whilst the Wehrmacht re-supplied and made ready was why Hitler held off.

If Germany could have captured or destroyed the entire BEF, it's far more likely Britain would have sued for peace. As it was, we evacuated enough troops for the defence of the UK and four months later had enough spare to be sending them to Egypt.

Interesting point. I've always wondered why the Nazis didn't make any great haste to Dunkirk.
They think that one of the reason's was that the supply line had become stretched too much and so they needed to catch up. Also I think that a small counter attack had almost severed their lines and had given them a scare. IIRC even Rommel was forced to stop at one point.

Top Bottom