Dunkirk on Imax was brilliant!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
If you go back then there are some amazing stories, Bud Flanagan and Chesney `Allen are but a few of the famous people who piloted their own small cruiser across, the list on names and deeds is endless

There was a new documentary about Dunkirk and the role that the RAF played in it recently. I can't remember which channel it was on. It did say that Herman Goering wanted to show Adolf how good his Luftwaffe was and wanted take control, it also said that sending Spitfires over disrupted their plans.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Sending Spitfires and Hurricanes would have indeed spoiled Goering's plans. He used Stukas to bomb the beaches which were slow and an easy target.
The German pilots were fooled early on in the war by the Bolton Paul Defiant which had no forward facing guns but a turret behind the pilot. It had a very similar outline to a Spit so when the German pilots crept up from behind on what they thought was a unsuspecting pilot they got a nasty surprise. Unfortunately once they identified this the plane's success was short lived and were taken out of operational service.
foto04.jpg

‘Dunkirk’ review in USA Today warns ‘no lead actors of color’ in WWII-inspired film
Reviewer says lack of women, minorities ‘may rub some the wrong way’

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/jul/19/dunkirk-review-in-usa-today-warns-no-lead-actors-o/

Are you seriously getting your information from a newspaper owned by the Moonies?

Sir Paddy Ashdown's father was brought before a court martial for refusing to comply with an order to abandon Indian troops under his command during the Dunkirk retreat.

Last edited:
The Americans are obsessed with race.

I thought the usual stance was to remake the film.....

Then an all-American hero single handedly organises a group of American fishing boats who brave all the elements and rescue everyone.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"

Saw this discussed elsewhere. During a retreat, different units and ranks are prioritised. Infantry and armour officers are top priority, followed by infantry regiments, signals units and so on right down to sappers. At Dunkirk, complete infantry units marched straight down the quay onto RN ships. Those on the beaches were largely cooks, transport etc. At Crete, large numbers of rear echelon troops were left for capture. Ashdown's orders weren't racist, they were brutally pragmatic. An officer who could command Empire troops was far more valuable than the Indian mule team he was commanding.

Tin Pot

Guru
I thought the usual stance was to remake the film.....

Then an all-American hero single handedly organises a group of American fishing boats who brave all the elements and rescue everyone.

With an African American buddy, and a nod of respect to the Japanese enemy. No mercy for the Germans of course.

[QUOTE 4890151, member: 9609"]where did you go and was it any good ? the place not the film
they tried to do something in the old WI hut a while back but it was the usaal farce[/QUOTE]
Missed this earlier.

We ventured to Gala, itself a feat of daring I know. Not an IMAX cinema, although no amount of IMAX would make the storyline any better.

Loads of space in the seats, even for my slightly freaky long legs. The popcorn was jolly tasty as well, not something I thought I'd ever say as I usually think it would be more preferable to eat cardboard. Younger Marmionette had a small bucket so I helped myself to a few handfuls since I paid for it.

I've been to the same cinema a few times now, it's a great (not as wee as I thought it might be) place, with helpful staff.

And again on his film review show on the BBC News channel too. He also recommended going to see it in the best screen with the best sound you can find - apparently it makes a difference.

That is true of any movie shot with today's equipment, although it is only in respect of the sound and vision. A good story well told is a good story on any screen.

And no doubt the TV ad for the movie that says watch it on the biggest possible screen was so pitched to make gullible idiots pay a premium so that the production company maximise their profits.

Top Bottom