Dunkirk on Imax was brilliant!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just been to see this - in the Pavilion, Galashiels, to give cyclechat's favourite cinema its full name.

I'm afraid I don't share @Marmion 's opinion of the film. I thought it was utter garbage.
I don't think I've seen a film with quite so many continuity errors, anachronisms or historical inaccuracies. I'm off to IMDB for a few days to fill up the goofs page.
I should have asked, did you have the popcorn?

Mr Celine

Discordian
I should have asked, did you have the popcorn?
I cannot stand even the smell of popcorn. Usually about two minutes before the film starts some lard bucket sits down behind me and munches their way through a trough of the bloody stuff, though thankfully that didn't happen tonight. Perhaps they'd got into the spirit of the film and rationed it.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Just been to see this - in the Pavilion, Galashiels, to give cyclechat's favourite cinema its full name.

I'm afraid I don't share @Marmion 's opinion of the film. I thought it was utter garbage.
I don't think I've seen a film with quite so many continuity errors, anachronisms or historical inaccuracies. I'm off to IMDB for a few days to fill up the goofs page.

You do know it is supposed to be multi-stranded with a non-linear timeline?

Mr Celine

Discordian
You do know it is supposed to be multi-stranded with a non-linear timeline?
Is that why one spitfire ditches into a flat calm sea under clear blue skies only for the pilot to be pulled onto the deck of the adjacent boat which is heaving on the swell under the cover of dark storm clouds?
Is that why the other spitfire lands on the beach after running out of fuel at sunrise? Did it have enough fuel to last over 12 hours or had it glided overnight? Does the non-linear timeframe explain the several minutes worth of ammunition it seemed to have?

swansonj

Guru
Is that why one spitfire ditches into a flat calm sea under clear blue skies only for the pilot to be pulled onto the deck of the adjacent boat which is heaving on the swell under the cover of dark storm clouds?
Is that why the other spitfire lands on the beach after running out of fuel at sunrise? Did it have enough fuel to last over 12 hours or had it glided overnight? Does the non-linear timeframe explain the several minutes worth of ammunition it seemed to have?
Umm... isn't there a difference between "continuity error" and "deliberate dramatic effect"? This is, after all, a story, a commentary, and a fable, not a documentary. I thought the contrast between the Spitfire landing in the "air" narrative and the "sea" narrative was quite powerful.

One could also talk in similar vein about the decision not to cgi-out the modern buildings in real Dunkirk.

SteveF

Well, we all know how changeable the weather is in these parts......:whistle:

Mr Celine

Discordian
One could also talk in similar vein about the decision not to cgi-out the modern buildings in real Dunkirk.

I've no problem with them not cgi- ing the buildings. But could they not have cgied an engine into the burning spitfire? The bloke on the boat told everyone that Spitfires had Rolls Royce merlin engines but the burning wreck on the beach had a propellor attached to nothing more than a broom handle.

OP
OP
PaulB

PaulB

Legendary Member
I've no problem with them not cgi- ing the buildings. But could they not have cgied an engine into the burning spitfire? The bloke on the boat told everyone that Spitfires had Rolls Royce merlin engines but the burning wreck on the beach had a propellor attached to nothing more than a broom handle.
You're one ray of sunshine you, aren't you?

postman

Legendary Member
Dunkirk cinema tickets are at my feet as i type.Mrs Postman just ordered them.

Onthedrops

Veteran
Saw it on Wednesday with young OTD.

Quite a thought provoking film. Welled up when I caught Nimrod being played. Stirring thoroughly British music.

Anyone else think the voice of first lead Spit pilot sounded uncannily like Michael Cain in The Battle of Britain film?

The 1958 version was on the telly today; I could see some of the scenes were copied into the new version. The older version wasnae that great either, although it just about edged it for me.

Top Bottom