E bikes that look like motorbikes ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
What's the deal with these ?

Your typical ebike from my very limited understanding cuts any assistance when reach 15 mph.

But Ive seen some lately which seem to be moving at quite a speed without any pedaling at all?

Are these still e bikes ? Are they legal ?

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me

Your typical ebike from my very limited understanding cuts any assistance when reach 15 mph.

But Ive seen some lately which seem to be moving at quite a speed without any pedaling at all?

Still e bikes, just illegal ones……..

classic33

Leg End Member

Classified as light mopeds, under EAPC rules or as a result of undergoing an MVSA.
Both require that the rider be fully insured, have passed the appropriate test and be wearing the approved safety equipment the same as any other moped rider. The moped must also be insured, VED'd and be insured.

Ebikes they are not.

Cerdic

Not legal here or in the EU.

Legal in other parts of the world such as USA - land of the free and all that…

Gwylan

Veteran

Another case of closing the stable door too late. Like 50 kph scooters.

I nearly hit one just now.

Pulling out of my parking space which has a high wall on one side. He was riding it on the pavement and easily doing moped speed but without any noise. No lights, helmet or pedals. Swerved out of my way but half a second later and he'd have been over my bonnet.

That lad's going to be a statistic one day.

vickster

Legendary Member
I nearly hit one just now.

Pulling out of my parking space which has a high wall on one side. He was riding it on the pavement and easily doing moped speed but without any noise. No lights, helmet or pedals. Swerved out of my way but half a second later and he'd have been over my bonnet.

That lad's going to be a statistic one day.

Hopefully he’s not opted out of the organ donor register….:okay:

I believe there are old throttle operated e bikes that are legal but should be restricted.

If it's fast and no need to pedal then it'll be an illegal one and hopefully will be confiscated soon.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
They're 10 a penny in London. Mainly riden by food delivery drivers but more and more common place with others. Some are silly fast for so called Bicycles.

Last edited:

Gwylan

Veteran
They're 10 a penny in London. Mainly riden by food delivery drivers but more and more common place with others. Some ate silly fast for so called Bicycles.

Seem to have taken over from the scooters with perpetual L plates on.

Great, universally blank No registration, tax, quality control, insurance or driver identification and high speed. Probably quite hard for the police to stop, even if they had any capacity to apply the law

freiston

Veteran
I have seen "proper" scooters/mopeds but electric rather than ICE and wondered whether all contributors were talking about these or about "beefed up" pedelecs so I did a little search to see if I could find examples.

I found what appears to be the kind that does require a licence and registration/MOT/insurance etc. but is being sold as legal without any of the above. The advert describes it as 200/500W and capable of 28mph.

The advert, lower down and mixed into the other blurb says restricted for road use without licence, derestricted for off-road use etc. but the advert very much makes big selling points of both not needing a licence and of its full power capability, which imho is a bit cheeky and irresponsible.

http://suprememotos.com/other_makes...-moped-bike-superb-range-amp-performance.html

"48V 20Ah, ELECTRIC PEDAL SCOOTER, MOPED, BIKE, SUPERB RANGE & PERFORMANCE​

NO DRIVING LICENSE REQUIRED 100% ROAD LEGAL!"​

"ELECTRIC PEDAL ASSISTED SCOOTER. MOPED. BIKE. FAST 28MPH"

freiston

Veteran
I've only just noticed that the advert also says "park in cycle bays. make use of the national cycle network".

If you're wondering what it looks like:

-scooter-moped-bike-superb-range-amp-performance-1.jpg

classic33

Leg End Member
I have seen "proper" scooters/mopeds but electric rather than ICE and wondered whether all contributors were talking about these or about "beefed up" pedelecs so I did a little search to see if I could find examples.

I found what appears to be the kind that does require a licence and registration/MOT/insurance etc. but is being sold as legal without any of the above. The advert describes it as 200/500W and capable of 28mph.

The advert, lower down and mixed into the other blurb says restricted for road use without licence, derestricted for off-road use etc. but the advert very much makes big selling points of both not needing a licence and of its full power capability, which imho is a bit cheeky and irresponsible.

http://suprememotos.com/other_makes...-moped-bike-superb-range-amp-performance.html

"48V 20Ah, ELECTRIC PEDAL SCOOTER, MOPED, BIKE, SUPERB RANGE & PERFORMANCE​

NO DRIVING LICENSE REQUIRED 100% ROAD LEGAL!"​

"ELECTRIC PEDAL ASSISTED SCOOTER. MOPED. BIKE. FAST 28MPH"
The speed alone puts it outside of the EPAC regulations. It would be classified as a light moped, with everything that mopeds require.

Top Bottom