E bikes that look like motorbikes ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

freiston

Veteran
They do specify that it needs to be restricted for road use as per EAPC - but they make such big points about it being EAPC together with its unrestricted capabilities, giving the impression, imho, that the buyer can ride it at 28mph without pedalling and without licence. Misleading and irresponsible advertising and I'm sure they would be at point of sale too.

classic33

Leg End Member
They do specify that it needs to be restricted for road use as per EAPC - but they make such big points about it being EAPC together with its unrestricted capabilities, giving the impression, imho, that the buyer can ride it at 28mph without pedalling and without licence. Misleading and irresponsible advertising and I'm sure they would be at point of sale too.
The sale of items like these isn't illegal, but they should be informing you of the legal aspects. The use is what's illegal, with the same for e-scooters.

I pass a shop that has one in the window. In large, clear print, is the top speed. In smaller, grey print, not as easily read is the piece about it not being legal on the road. But at upwards of £500 a time, I don't think the shop are bothered. Maybe they would be if they got someone coming back, having had theirs seized.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
An idiot neighbour of mine a few doors down has just bought one of these monstrosities. 30mph max speed, and he rides it up and down the pavements showing off to the kids, no helmet, naturally. He has registered it, surprisingly, so it sports a proper rear number plate, but he's not licensed to ride a moped.
He maintains that it's simply an e scooter so "perfectly legal as everyone has those now". I suspect that deep down he knows the score, but this is where we end up when the speed of tech catches regulators sleeping, and enforcement simply doesn't happen. I'm sure he probably assumes he'll never get pulled up, and he's likely correct.
Screenshot_20220819-071247_Chrome.jpg

At Fistral Beach the other day, I saw a couple of e-bikes that were motor-bike-like, but they also appeared to be legal pedal-assist machines. Quite smart, actually.
On the other hand, sitting on Armada Way in Plymouth yesterday, the number of delivery riders using e-modified bikes without the legal limitations was, approximately, 100%...push a button, away you go.

classic33

Leg End Member
An idiot neighbour of mine a few doors down has just bought one of these monstrosities. 30mph max speed, and he rides it up and down the pavements showing off to the kids, no helmet, naturally. He has registered it, surprisingly, so it sports a proper rear number plate, but he's not licensed to ride a moped.
He maintains that it's simply an e scooter so "perfectly legal as everyone has those now". I suspect that deep down he knows the score, but this is where we end up when the speed of tech catches regulators sleeping, and enforcement simply doesn't happen. I'm sure he probably assumes he'll never get pulled up, and he's likely correct.
View attachment 657904
If he's managed to register it, it's no longer classified as bicycle, e-assist or otherwise.

Try registering a bicycle or e-scooter and see how far you get.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
That lad's going to be a statistic one day.

That's ok, he can do his bit to ease the organ donor shortage!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I've been in Manchester today, and have been out of the office a couple of times. Vast majority are adapted standard bikes with a driven hub, and a huge battery usually gaffa taped into the front triangle, filling it completely. Mostly by Deliveroo riders. Then spotted what looked like a normal 'cyclist' whith an oblong battery on the pannier - the lady wasn't even pedalling as she whizzed along. These are outnumbering normal legal bikes now in Manchester.

classic33

Leg End Member
I've been in Manchester today, and have been out of the office a couple of times. Vast majority are adapted standard bikes with a driven hub, and a huge battery usually gaffa taped into the front triangle, filling it completely. Mostly by Deliveroo riders. Then spotted what looked like a normal 'cyclist' whith an oblong battery on the pannier - the lady wasn't even pedalling as she whizzed along. These are outnumbering normal legal bikes now in Manchester.
Seems to be the same as everywhere else.

How many were going in the correct direction, with regards traffic flow?

CXRAndy

Guru
It's only like scooters which were illegal. Now they're not, you can rent them just about anywhere in towns, cities across the UK.

When folk ignore the law in large swathes, government will accommodate the trend.

The arbitrary cut off in inadequate hence the proliferation

I liken it to USA prohibition, folk carried on drinking, Government administration eventually re legalised drinking.

Top Bottom