E-scooters to be allowed on public roads

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
While of course the occasional cyclist who behaves similarly "sums up" cyclists similarly to some other people.

With one key difference, it's not illegal to ride cyclists on most roads in the UK but it is escooters. When someone rides an escooter of their own on a public road not a rental in a trial scheme but their own, which is illegal. Well imho the fact that they ride it in a very dangerous manner just emphasises their disregard for rules and indeed the law.

The whataboutery comparison with cyclists that ride bikes in a dangerous is trying to link a minority of cyclists with a majority of escooterists. Outside of the trial area all escooterists on public roads are illegal acts. Not all cyclists on public roads are carrying out illegal acts. It does no good to cyclists to link them in this way. We're an outgroup as it is without this linkage.

Now, perhaps in the future escooters will be made legal on roads, probably with rules attached. Then we will see if the dangerous riding of them is a minority or majority. Round my way, ignoring the current illegality of riding one on the roads (and pavements), it seems the majority are dangerous to me.

Darn I was waiting for the punchline when he shot into the road and got splattered by a bin lorry. Disappointed

I wouldn't have wanted to see that personally, although I think he got close a few times. He did bounce off a moving car once but I guess he was a good rider of his escooter.

I worked with a guy who owned one capable of 45mph. Apparently he'd reached 37mph on it and thought that was fast enough! I heard he bought it off a drug dealer and last I heard after he was sacked at work that was his new occupation too. I think the fast ones were mostly used by drug dealers / runners.

You're right. Sometimes this thread becomes what I imagine a car owners forum would be like constantly reporting and overstating bloody cyclists jumping red lights. To even things up, the only regular e-scooterist I can think of is a young woman I sometimes see early in the mornings on her way to opening up a coffee shop. She travels at probably about 10mph and uses both road and pavement. Obviously totally illegal shock horror. There's very little traffic or pedestrians around at this time and it seems like a neat form of transport.

10mph on a pavement is not great on an escooter or cyclist or indeed runners. However quiet it is riding a bike or escooter on the pavement is wrong and potentially dangerous. You've just given another good example of bad behaviour by escooterists. You're proving my point nicely. ^_^

grldtnr

10mph on a pavement is not great on an escooter or cyclist or indeed runners. However quiet it is riding a bike or escooter on the pavement is wrong and potentially dangerous. You've just given another good example of bad behaviour by escooterists. You're proving my point nicely. ^_^

Rightly or wrongly, I am in habit of walking with a hiking stick/ pole when on the footpaths, I do need the support sometimes as I have arthritic ankle & knee.
When confronted, with oncoming speeding scooterist/ bicycle user*, I am apt to raise my pointy stick to waist height,, which is quite effective, many's the time avoiding action has been taken by miscreants.
I do this purely as a defensive precaution, I am tired at having to get out of the way, I am also apt at just stopping and standing my ground, they will come off worse than me, as I am a girly big stout fellow, another tactic is I will drop my shoulder, and lean into them,
It will hurt them more than me,
It irks me somewhat, that the very people who say it's dangerous to ride on the road, are the ones that are causing havoc by riding recklessly on the road & pavement, go figure?
And all I've done is walk along the pavement.

* I make the distinction between Cyclists and bicycle users, Cyclist are responsible, users are not, invariably poorly maintained and incorrectly setup

Drago

Legendary Member
When confronted, with oncoming speeding scooterist/ bicycle user*, I am apt to raise my pointy stick to waist height,, which is quite effective, many's the time avoiding action has been taken by miscreants.
If you should ever encounter me in the street would you please do me the honour of shouting, "get off moi laaannnnnddd!" while doing this? It'd make my day.

Alex321

Veteran
With one key difference, it's not illegal to ride cyclists on most roads in the UK but it is escooters. When someone rides an escooter of their own on a public road not a rental in a trial scheme but their own, which is illegal. Well imho the fact that they ride it in a very dangerous manner just emphasises their disregard for rules and indeed the law.

The whataboutery comparison with cyclists that ride bikes in a dangerous is trying to link a minority of cyclists with a majority of escooterists. Outside of the trial area all escooterists on public roads are illegal acts. Not all cyclists on public roads are carrying out illegal acts. It does no good to cyclists to link them in this way. We're an outgroup as it is without this linkage.

Now, perhaps in the future escooters will be made legal on roads, probably with rules attached. Then we will see if the dangerous riding of them is a minority or majority. Round my way, ignoring the current illegality of riding one on the roads (and pavements), it seems the majority are dangerous to me.

Another one completely missing the point of what I said (and not even reading it all).

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
So if someone's in the wrong you try to knock them off their bike? Careful doing that. They could attack you with a weapon. Or they could fall in front of a bus

Or stabbed ! Drugs runners on surrons !

I'm in a debate with work's Health and Safety after they've told everyone no electric scooters on site (and no charging e-bikes in the buildings).

I mentioned an 'ebike' that's parked in our bike parking, and all they did was check the chap didn't charge it on site. When I then said ' you do know it's self propelled' and is an electric motorbike - which requires tax and insurance, they are now going back to the individual. It's a blooming low rider/chopper type thing, there is no way you can cycle it (must weigh 100kg).

I feel like a bit of a snitch, but if our regular e-bikers can't even charge their legal and CE approved bikes, why should someone be whizzing around on site in a un-taxed and un-insured vehicle.

PK99

Legendary Member
* I make the distinction between Cyclists and bicycle users, Cyclist are responsible, users are not, invariably poorly maintained and incorrectly setup

Where does the person on an expensive bike with good bike-handling skills dressed in quality cycling kit ie all the gear AND ideas. But who rides through red lights and pedestrian crossings or hops onto pavements to avoid red lights fit in your classification?

Jody

Stubborn git
Rightly or wrongly, I am in habit of walking with a hiking stick/ pole when on the footpaths, I do need the support sometimes as I have arthritic ankle & knee.
I do this purely as a defensive precaution, I am tired at having to get out of the way, I am also apt at just stopping and standing my ground, they will come off worse than me, as I am a girly big stout fellow, another tactic is I will drop my shoulder, and lean into them,
It will hurt them more than me,
It irks me somewhat, that the very people who say it's dangerous to ride on the road, are the ones that are causing havoc by riding recklessly on the road & pavement, go figure?
And all I've done is walk along the pavement.

I'd say momentum of the rider means you would almost guarantee coming off worst in the event of being hit.

You don't want to get hurt but put yourself in harms way? Seems an odd way of doing it and an easy way to get into a confrontation. Big or not, but if you need walking aids, you're probably not in the best position to get into a fight.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Where does the person on an expensive bike with good bike-handling skills dressed in quality cycling kit ie all the gear AND ideas. But who rides through red lights and pedestrian crossings or hops onto pavements to avoid red lights fit in your classification?

That would come down to the "incorrectly set up" tie-breaker. I'm sorry, but I don't approve of your valve caps. They are incorrect. Begone with you, you bicycle user you.

Another one completely missing the point of what I said (and not even reading it all).

Actually i think I did get your point. Which to clarify in my words... The minority who are dangerous /inconsiderate cyclists gives all cyclists a bad name.

My point to that is that all escooterists are inconsiderate in that they're all illegally riding it on public roads, trial scheme area legality aside. Minority unfairly gives majority cyclists a bad name. Majority escooterists should give them all a bad name imho!

Of course if my attempt to clarify is still wide of the mark in understanding your post the in my defence you've made a poorly worded post if everyone responding has failed to understand it. Perhaps another post with new wording to clarify?

classic33

Leg End Member
"I borrowed my friend’s E-scooter for a test drive and got seized!! The scooter only worth £200 and now I got fined for £1000. This is absolutely crazy. I just got my driving license few months back and now 6 points is deducted and all done! I need this driving license to apply for my job. I’m only have £600 monthly income and I don’t know what can I do next. This is crazy!!!"
1706628340529.png

1706628289431.png

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/ElectricScooters/comments/166cslr/i_got_fined_1000_using_electricscooter_this_is/?rdt=53274

That would come down to the "incorrectly set up" tie-breaker. I'm sorry, but I don't approve of your valve caps. They are incorrect. Begone with you, you bicycle user you.

Actually if they're not in normal clothes with a metal cycle clip on their trousers and a Sam brown belt in good old utilitarian cyclist garb then they are most definitely incorrect, bicycle users!

Top Bottom